Quantcast

So I'm thinking of replacing my Balfa with a hardtail, but........

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Keep thinking along the lines of the Cove Handjob MikeD. 69 degree HT angle the 70 degree seat tube angle might not be ideal, and the chainstays are wide enough to fit a 2.35 tire in the rear.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
MikeD said:
Also check out the Cortina Triton 4130. In fact, BMXman is selling one (my old frame, and I rode it 2x and he never even built it) in the 16" size. It's an awesome bike for you...slightly slack and short.
Mike is a very wise man;)....D

GeoffW

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
I know it's not steel, but how can't you fall in love with a Banshee Morphine? I've got a buddy who has one and it's a beautiful bike and has taken alot of abuse with not even a groan

Or why not fine a Minuteman?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
GeoffW said:
I know it's not steel, but how can't you fall in love with a Banshee Morphine? I've got a buddy who has one and it's a beautiful bike and has taken alot of abuse with not even a groan

I am not a fan of Banshee bikes whatsoever - they just seem way over gussetted and crap. but it's all personal preference really. Banshees just don't do it for me and besides that is heavier than I want to go for a frame and it's not steel either.

The Handjob is looking like a good contender if I go this route (again it is just one option I'm considering)

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
MMcG said:
Keep thinking along the lines of the Cove Handjob MikeD. 69 degree HT angle the 70 degree seat tube angle might not be ideal, and the chainstays are wide enough to fit a 2.35 tire in the rear.

So, uh, you don't want a freeride style bike and you don't want an XC style bike...I'm sort of at a loss for what to tell you.

The endless might be worth a hard look, but it's gonna cost too much. The Surly Instigator and the KHS Rigid One are really all I can think of at this point. But you probably don't like the curved TT on the Surly, either...

MD :nuts:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I like the Cove Handjob - I like the Kona Explosif - and as I said before I wouldn't take an Endless if it was given to me. I'm also digging Aosty's Kona Score that's for sale in the Buy and Sell forum.

This is what I have in mind MikeD and others - I'd classify this as a hardtail trail bike somewhere in between XC and FR wouldn't you?

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Sorry to derail this thread, but I have the same dilema. Need a hardtail frame that can take lots of FR abuse, but also relatively lightweight and a seattube long enough for XC. Something like the SC Chameleon but with vertical dropouts. How about Azonic Evolution II? Does anyone have the geometry numbers for this frame? Stupid azonics site doesnt have very much info...

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
MMcG said:
I like the Cove Handjob - I like the Kona Explosif - and as I said before I wouldn't take an Endless if it was given to me. I'm also digging Aosty's Kona Score that's for sale in the Buy and Sell forum.

This is what I have in mind MikeD and others - I'd classify this as a hardtail trail bike somewhere in between XC and FR wouldn't you?

maybe it's just me but that looks like pure xc to me...I don't think the wheels, tires or cranks would hold up to freeride abuse....but my definition of freeride may be different from yours...D

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
BMXman said:
maybe it's just me but that looks like pure xc to me...I don't think the wheels, tires or cranks would hold up to freeride abuse....but my definition of freeride may be different from yours...D
That's just it BMXman - I don't want a freeride hardtail, I would want to get a trail bike hardtail and the cove in that configuration looks like it would fit the bill.

What I don't want is hardtail with an 80mm Sid on the front, nor do I want a 7 pound hardtail with a Z1 FR or Z150 up front. Something in the middle with a Fox Vanilla or Fox Talas up front. Something with slacker ht angles than a traditional 71 degree XC hardtail, something with a decent bb height too.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
MMcG said:
I'd like one that is steel, not super heavy and set up with geometry that can accept at least a 4" and preferably a new 5" single crown fork.Mark
Got one more for you Mark, if ytou can get one here.
http://www.cotic.co.uk/
I read somewhere that the Cotic guys set out to build a steel Chamelion.

Sounds right up your alley, but the current $ to Euro rate might make it a little more than you wanted to spend.

STW did a write up a while back:
http://www.singletrackworld.com/article.php?sid=814

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Sounds to me like the big kicker is the HT angle. You basically want and XC frame with a 69* HT angle and trail bike type parts (discs, 5" fork, etc.). I suspect that you'll end up riding the Cheeta on the really nasty trails, so unless you absolutely fall in love with the hardtail, it won't really get abused. That means that you don't need anything all that beefy (i.e. a freeride/DJ frame). An XC frame with the right geometry and trailbike parts should be fine for you.

I think that's a recipe for a Kona - only problem is I'm not sure how much they do with steel. That cove may well be a good pick too, I'm just not as familiar with them as I am the Konas.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
MMcG, the only other opinion I can offer is that most hardtails these days actually do meet your definition. The days of every bike and rider needing/wanting 80mm forks and 135mm stems are long gone. Bikes today are generally shorter and made to take 4-5" forks and 90mmish stems, which are really the norm now. Unless you go specifically to find an XC race bike, most HTs will fit your definition, unless you build them up funky. A standard 71 HA will probably end up being more 70-ish with a 5" fork, if you get a taller one like a Zocchi or something.

For what you're looking for, though, it appears the Cove is it. I didn't know the listed HA was so slack, and everything else seems perfect. Kona HTs generally have traditional angles...I recall even the bigger AL frames having 71 HAs listed in previous years.

Anyhow, yeah, Cove is it, so why haven't you ordered it yet? :p

MF

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
jacksonpt said:
Sounds to me like the big kicker is the HT angle. You basically want and XC frame with a 69* HT angle and trail bike type parts (discs, 5" fork, etc.). I suspect that you'll end up riding the Cheeta on the really nasty trails, so unless you absolutely fall in love with the hardtail, it won't really get abused. That means that you don't need anything all that beefy (i.e. a freeride/DJ frame). An XC frame with the right geometry and trailbike parts should be fine for you.

I think that's a recipe for a Kona - only problem is I'm not sure how much they do with steel. That cove may well be a good pick too, I'm just not as familiar with them as I am the Konas.
Jackson - I'm trying to find more information on the 2005 Kona Explosif frame - I like how it has those modular dropouts (something the Cove doesn't offer) and I've seen Echo's 2004 and his bike is simply stunning. Kona is using a diferent steel tubing for 2005 so I need to find out more about that too. I almost bought a Kona hardtail way back when I bought my Marin, so perhaps this could be the opportunity to get that Kona after all. We'll see. I have time to decide on this.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
MMcG said:
1. Steel will be more compliant than AL for the type of frame I'm looking for.

2. I think a Steel frame will have a longer life-span than say an AL frame

3. I just really like the look of steel tubing - just something about it.

4. This relates back to my road bike - I have a Steel Jamis Quest Reynolds 631 Steel (so not top of the line mind you) and I much preferred the feel of the steel frame over 3 other AL road bikes that I test rode including one AL road bike frame with carbon seatstays.

So those are a few reasons for my preference for steel.

Steel wont have an infinite fatigue life unless you put excess material. Dw explained this to me that steel lives more is a myth a couple of months ago....

I would suggest Cove Stiffee

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
math2014 said:
Steel wont have an infinite fatigue life unless you put excess material. Dw explained this to me that steel lives more is a myth a couple of months ago....
This is true, but for a given amount of material, steel will still have a longer fatigue life.

DW was simply putting down the myth that all steel frames, no matter what the construction, have some sort of magical infinite fatigue life.

J

JRB

If I understand metal like I think I do, steel will stretch over time, where aluminum is rigid enough that it will just ultimately break. I don't know how hardening of these 2 things matters. I can tell you how they will relate to horse shoes. :rolleyes:

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
hahaha loco said it right :D

Well 100gr of steel should be better than 100gr of Allu. But speaking of steel and allu in general is daft imho. Specific alloys should be the better topic, as well as tube manipulation, quality of welding and FEA.

I wouldnt trust lightweight alluminum, hence i got a steel roadie. For a heavy allu FS i would trust alluminum (see my SX or a bighit). If the alu is "enough" then it should last enough.... i.e. i would be bored of the frame before it breaks or starts to get tired... or so i hope....

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Quit derailling my thread and let's get back to discussing frames again! ;) :)

The Handjob is a 69 degree HT angle with a 100mm fork - so that would be like 68 with a 125 or 130 fork.

Maybe the Explosif with a Talas is the way to go.

Hmmmmm

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
http://peytocycles.com/

maybe a bit too expensive for your budget, but veeeeery nice. scroll down the page to the "20/01/04 - Demo Frames" linkage. that there is my exact frame. bought it a few months ago. great for dh/xc/urban/anything you want. ok for any long travel single crown. i've got a 130mm z-1 on mine at the moment. clearance in the back for up to 2.7 intense, at least on mine. head angle is ~ 69 degrees on mine. frame weighed 5 pounds on the nose.

if you have the means, i highly reccomend one.

posted up somewhere in the hardtail thread on the DH board. i'd do more pics, but i'm at work right now. here's some linkage from bikeforums.net. #820, towards the bottom of the page.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=39174&page=33&pp=25&highlight=Peyto

aznfreerdr08

Monkey
Aug 26, 2004
Concord, CA
i hav an azonic steelhead that i think is one of the best bikes out there for the price. my setup is relatively lite, and you could probably ride trails on it if you wanted too, just thought id throw in my 2 cents

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
scrublover said:
http://peytocycles.com/

maybe a bit too expensive for your budget, but veeeeery nice. scroll down the page to the "20/01/04 - Demo Frames" linkage. that there is my exact frame. bought it a few months ago. great for dh/xc/urban/anything you want. ok for any long travel single crown. i've got a 130mm z-1 on mine at the moment. clearance in the back for up to 2.7 intense, at least on mine. head angle is ~ 69 degrees on mine. frame weighed 5 pounds on the nose.

if you have the means, i highly reccomend one.

posted up somewhere in the hardtail thread on the DH board. i'd do more pics, but i'm at work right now. here's some linkage from bikeforums.net. #820, towards the bottom of the page.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=39174&page=33&pp=25&highlight=Peyto
I saw your frame on MTBR.com a while back - very nice looking. Can you PM me with more details on the frame material etc. etc.

Thanks!

Mark

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Okay I'm back to this thread due to financial reasons. I think a hardtail is the way to go for me for now. Has anyone seen or had some ride time on a 2005 Explosif frame yet?

Or does anyone have any leads on a used Explosif or other steel hardtrail frame?

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
Mark,

I'm kinda in the same boat as you.

I have an '04 Kona Unit frame that I've been waiting to build up -- actually since before I bought the Hollowpoint. Kona changed their geometry for '04 and gave the Unit/Explosif a 70.something degree headangle w/ an 80mm-travel fork. a 5"-travel fork would really slacken the geometry.

A friend of mine is also in said boat and is really liking the new Planet X Armadillo. 70/73*, 13" bb, with a 100mm-travel fork. Sounds perfect to me for East coast trails. Set it up with a Talas or Marathon or something, decent parts, and you should have a nice, light, strong bike.