Quantcast

So I've been brewing with MR BEER

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
A few months ago, a friend of mine gave me a Mr Beer kit for homebrewing. While a Mr Beer kit is sort of like the Easy Bake Oven of brewing, I figure at the very least it'd introduce me to homebrewing at the most basic level. So far I have made three batches to completion (one batch makes about 20 12oz beers).

Batch 1 was a pale ale. It was terrible. As I told the wife, I'll drink Bud and I'll drink Coors Light and I'll drink Rolling Rock, but my pale ale was undrinkable. That said, an extra month lagering seems to have improved the taste. Still not great, but better. I poured most of it down the drain though.

Batch 2 was an Oktoberfest. A huge improvement over batch 1. I have six liters left and I think another few weeks sitting the fridge will really help. We drank two liters of it over the weekend and enjoyed it.

Batch 3 was a coffee stout. The first batch that I am proud of. A real nice coffee taste. The beer is black, just as the wife likes it (like her men). As with the Oktoberfest, I think this will get even better with a few more weeks in the fridge.

Batches 4 and 5 are in progress. One is a tripel, which is in bottles and will be ready to drink in six months (Monkeyfest 2009 tasting, perhaps?). The other is a cranberry maibock which I made yesterday.

So, the Mr Beer results have been mixed, but have improved with each batch. As someone who has had his fill of good beer, I am pleasantly surprised with the results of Mr Beer beers. I have a real good feeling about the cranberry maibock.

Just felt like sharing. :monkey:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Cool.

I brewed up 15 gallons with a friend over the weekend. It is nice to have friends with top notch homebrew equipment. The receipe was a seat of the pants attempt. We kept tasting the wort and adjusting from there. It should be a semi-hoppy ale. Looking forward to bottling.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Cool.

I brewed up 15 gallons with a friend over the weekend. It is nice to have friends with top notch homebrew equipment. The receipe was a seat of the pants attempt. We kept tasting the wort and adjusting from there. It should be a semi-hoppy ale. Looking forward to bottling.
I told the wife I might want a "real" starter kit depending on how the Mr Beer experiment went. Looks like you can get a basic kit for $100 and it includes a recipe. The prices for, say, True Brew kits are the same as Mr Beer kits but with more than twice the beer.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
BTW, there actually is some work involved with Mr Beer...it's not just a matter of dumping a couple of cans of ingredients into a fermenter. It took me three hours yesterday to bottle one batch and prepare another.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
What does a kit come with? Fermentation container and a capper?

A homebrew store just opened near my house so I see myself getting more into it.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
What does a kit come with? Fermentation container and a capper?

A homebrew store just opened near my house so I see myself getting more into it.
A fermenter, a bottling bucket, some other beer making contraptions and gizmos for which I don't know their purpose.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i got my Mr Beer from Bed Bath and Beyond for 40% off around any holiday time...the first batch came out like crap....Oktoberfest.
Vienna Lager did come out pretty good though. Im trying the Pale Ale now...hopefully itll be good. ive been trying different fermentation times now

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Glad to hear it's going well. I'm looking forward to some of that tripel.
There's nothing wrong with Mr. Beer. I started with a stockpot and a plastic bucket.
:)

Last edited: