Quantcast

So, I've decided I'm raising my Pathfinder....

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
And I dont know anything about this kinda stuff. I found a really cool forum, nissanoffroad.net, and found This website through them. I've got a 2000 pathy, and dont know which kit to get. Any input would be helpful. Here are the kits i'm looking at. I got some input from my mechanic friend, but figured i'd throw it out to you guys too. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, any suggestions for a good set of tires? I'm looking no bigger than 31". Realisticly, 99% of my driving will be on the road, so I want somthing that will wear well on the road, but still perform somewhat offroad/in the mountains.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Im looking into raising my Discovery, im going to go with a 3in lift which is what I think is a good lift for someone who does a majority of on road driving, you dont get the body roll you do with a higher lift. Look into BFG All Terrains for tires, great on and off road.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
go with the most complete kit you can find, the rancho at the top of the page would be best. run 32 inch BFgoodrich allterrains. best bang for the buck for a good performing tire. Also pro comp makes some good all terrains. the best kit, if you can find it, is one that relocates the a-arms instead of replacing the lower a-arms.

Cursor

Chimp
Mar 26, 2003
can't find on mapquest
my wife drives our '97 pathfinder and i've been wanting to lift it since we bought it new. unfortunately, all the lifted pathys i found were all custom done and no one had lift kits until recently so i never got around to doing it (plus i keep spending money on my vw). anyway, i had BFG's and just had them replaced w/ dunlops. the dunlops seem just as good and way quieter.

Jou

Monkey
May 16, 2004
Powell/Laramie, Wyoming
Boggers, ;) kidding, if you really your leaning a bit heavy on the off road performance i'd go with mt/r's. bit pricey but worth if it you want to go offroad, not as good in mud as most mt's though.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
a) don't lift it. all you'll be doing is making the suspension sit higher in its travel (ie less negative travel)
b) 31"s already fit without a lift. i have 31x10.5 bfg m/t meats on my 96 pathfinder, same generation as yours.
c) look at http://www.xplorx4.com/ and the forums at www.4x4parts.com

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Toshi said:
a) don't lift it. all you'll be doing is making the suspension sit higher in its travel (ie less negative travel)
yes if he only gets a spring kit. If he gets new shocks with longer shafts to accompany the longer springs, he will retain negative travel.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Best ATs off road that are still decent on-road are the BFG ATs.
Best ATs on road that are still respectable off road are the Bridgetsone Dueler ATs
Honorable mentions go to Yoko ATs and Cooper Discoverer SSTs.

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
Are you taking it offroad? or do you just want to fit larger tires... I believe the pathfinder is a unibody, which means suspension is the only way to go... No body lift, which is the easyest if your just goin for good looks.

If you only want to fit 31s. you probably dont need a true 'lift kit'. You could run long spring shackles in the rear, and crank in the torsion bars on the front upper control arms. Cranking torsion bars will limit your downtravel tho, and if way to much is cranked in, you will explode your CVs.

You could probably get a way with A slight crank, and either longer than stock shocks, or AAL(add a leaf) in the rear.. Do pathfinders use torsion bars in the front, or are they coils? I dunno if they even use left springs? well, you could always go with one or two inch coil spacers... Im sure they are avail.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I am also a Pathy owner. Go to nissanpathfinders.com. Its the best Pathy site I have found by far. Be VERY careful with the lift. I have heard many horror storries about putting the CV joints at too high an angle and having everything blow up. It happened to a friend of mine. 2" is safe, but 3" is asking for trouble, at least on the older trucks. The good kits that I have seen are $1000+. I am just going to get new springs and spacers for the back and put 2" on the t-bars.

Have fun.

I run BFG AT's (tko) and they ckick ass. ANother friend runs Mud Terrains and says they work well for all around. I didn't feel like spending the extra money since I do most of my driving on road.

=[Stinky]=

Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
On my 87 4runner
I have 1.5" ball joint spacers in front, 26mm Downey off road torsion bars with 1.5" cranked in. In the rear, I have a pair of Downey 3" lift springs, 5 leaves, plus an overload. compared to the 3, plus the overload that came stock on the truck... I have 1" longer than stock shackles in the rear, for another half inch of lift.
The truck is super offroad. Im at the point where i need to relocate the shocks to allow the axle for more droop when the other side is stuffed. Not to mention longer shocks... Still have like 3" of compression to go on one side, while the other is alway the way extended.

so yeah 3" or so of lift, 33X10.5 MTs....

This summer the IFS is getting torched out, and a solid axle/leaf spring set up will be run if the front for more offroad awesomeness. Will be Running 35s by then, and hopefully installed a second transfercase for some super low gearing.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
=[Stinky]= said:
This summer the IFS is getting torched out, and a solid axle/leaf spring set up will be run if the front for more offroad awesomeness. Will be Running 35s by then, and hopefully installed a second transfercase for some super low gearing.

Nice 4runner stinky. There are a lot of body less Toyotas that turn up near where I work in the spring and summer.

I am more interested in dragging...

It is actually a girls car.

=[Stinky]=

Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
Hahah sick, totally layin frame. Yeah dude, I want one of the real early Merc's. The ZZtop stlye ones, bag it, chop the top, paint it primer black, and pinstripe it.

I love the 4runner, I have never had so much fun with 115hp... Haha, its all about grearing. Stick in a second transfer case, shift both cases into 4lo, and were talking 200:1 gear reduction.... Crawl over anything.

Oh yeah, heres a fun video of me on Ice in 2wd in the 4runner, from last weekend...
4 Runner on Ice Give it a few to load.

This is what im goin for with the runner....

.....sometime

ANdrew

=[Stinky]=

Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
snutty said:
;) 85 SR5 EFI :thumb:
AHHH! Luck SOB.... I looked so long, and so hard for one of those. All the ones I found were super expensive... 8-9k. No thanks. Bought the 87 from the orig owner with 137ooo on it. I love it to death.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Nice. My 4Runner is a 3rd gen, so it'll likely never see anything like that. But my buddy has a first gen that is pretty well built. He used to show it, then turned it into a trail rig.

My rig next to his...

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I wish I had the money to do somthing like that!

But alas, this is my daily driver after all, and I dont want to spend to much. Just a little bit of a lift, and some nicer tires.