Quantcast

So Ive Just Downloaded Mozilla Firefox

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
To me there are a decent amount of good things about it but something about the Netscape based design just doesnt appeal to me. I cant stand using normal netscape over IE and to me theres just too much of a resemblance even if that resemblance is very minor.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
it keeps closing on my comp. randomly, with no warning. it just disappears. i don't quite get it. never happened with Firebird, or whatever the previous was. gotta love tabbed windows.

if you're bored, check out AIMutation. more tabbed window goodness.

lanman

Monkey
Nov 2, 2001
Natick, MA
I have Crazy Browser which is essentially the same thing and I love tabbed browsers!! Also if you use AIM the program DEADAIM is awesome too, same thing...tabbed AIM windows so you don't have a million of them open.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
squarewheels said:
i must be the only guy on the planet who doesn't like tabbed browsers
Probably :D

Actually, if you don't usually have a ton of windows open, there's not much point to tabbed browsers. But I'm one of those obnoxious people who hates waiting for the "back" button, so I open everything in a new window. When I'm searching for something obscure online, I'll often have 15+ windows open.

Any particular reason you don't like 'em?

Anyhow, IMO, Firefox is a marvel of a program. It's small, fast, and very customizable through their plugins and themes. Nothing exotic, just a quality piece of software.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
manhattanprjkt83 said:
i would love it but i keep having this problem where the whole screen shakes :( up and down, does anyone know what this is????
Specifically when you're using the browser? That's bizarre.

If it's all the time, make sure your monitor is not right next to any other electronic devices like printers, copiers, etc.

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
I use both.

IE has a faster start-up the Firefox, but Firefix has a faster refresh..
I like the tab feature, but I can always use "Open in New Window" in IE...

WatchYaGonnaDo?
:dancing:

Showtime

Chimp
Aug 6, 2003
Seattle, WA
Firefox is good stuff. I still have to use IE for some stuff at work, but I use Firefox almost exclusively any other time. Some of the Firefox Extensions are great. Probably the one I like the most is Adblock. It lets you block ads from almost any webpage.

http://adblock.mozdev.org/

Its a worthwhile addition, although, you have to put up with an annoying little adblock image appearing next to videos, and some stuff that isnt ads sometimes. But its more than worth it.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I like Firefox - been using it for a month now. After the first day or so, I figured out how to use it - I was floundering the first day, though.
Still trying to cozy up to the tabbed browser deal. At first, I thought it was frozen up, then I saw about seven tabs above the screen.:o:
I like to run 2 or 3 seperate windows so I can 'multi-task'...gives me more time to go out and ride!:thumb:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
sweet, i'll have to try this at home. i've downloaded it, just never got around to installing it. do i have to do anything to disable/remove the existing IE?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
narlus said:
sweet, i'll have to try this at home. i've downloaded it, just never got around to installing it. do i have to do anything to disable/remove the existing IE?
Nah. The first time you boot up the browser, it asks if you want to make it the default browser. You can do it if you want, though IE is still my default browser.

It'll also ask if you want to import your favorites direct from IE.

dsb1829

Chimp
Aug 25, 2004
Huntsville, AL
manhattanprjkt83 said:
i would love it but i keep having this problem where the whole screen shakes :( up and down, does anyone know what this is????
It is your hand hitting the desk. Back the chair out about half a foot and try again :nuts: Or just quit looking at the p*rn :nope:

Crash_Tested

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
wCo
I don't think I could ever go back to IE now. Firefox has taken pro e-surfing to a whole new level. hahaha

Here are some of the extensions I can not live with out. :rolleyes:

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
How do you get mozilla to open a new tab on a link? I have the check boxes checked for select new tab opened from links and favorites, but it either opens a new browser(links) or opens in the same window(favorites).

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Wumpus said:
Yeah, I figured that out, but that is an extra step and I'm lazy.

Is that the only way?
Hold control when you click the link. It'll open a new tab. If you have a scroll wheel, you can assign the scroll wheel click to open a new tab in your preferences.

Shift-click opens a new window entirely.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
binary visions said:
Hold control when you click the link. It'll open a new tab. If you have a scroll wheel, you can assign the scroll wheel click to open a new tab in your preferences.

Shift-click opens a new window entirely.

:thumb:

How do you over ride the popup blocker when clicking on a link?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Wumpus said:
:thumb:

How do you over ride the popup blocker when clicking on a link?
Shouldn't be an issue... When you click on a link, FireFox allows a new window to be opened. At least, I've never had it be an issue... Are you asking because it's a problem, or because you think it might be a problem sometime?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
binary visions said:
Shouldn't be an issue... When you click on a link, FireFox allows a new window to be opened. At least, I've never had it be an issue... Are you asking because it's a problem, or because you think it might be a problem sometime?
For some reason it won't let me open the other smilies when I click more. Guess I just won't use them.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Wumpus said:
For some reason it won't let me open the other smilies when I click more. Guess I just won't use them.
Well, there's an option in the preferences that lets you allow popups from certain sites. Just add ridemonkey.com to it.