Quantcast

So my wife is on bed rest (?)

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
So my wife is pregnant and due in late June, and she calls me yesterday from the hospital saying she has something called Toxemia and has to be on bed rest for the rest of the pregnancy. She can only get up far about an hour a day, and I have to call every 3 hours to make sure she is ok. To add to the matter this will cut our income in half for like 3 months (not good)
Anyone ever heard of this? Is it dangerous? Should I be freaking out as much as I am?

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
DOH! That sucks!! I don't have any experience with Toxemia, but after about a day or two of bed rest your wife is going to be completely fed up with it. Good luck surviving the next couple of months.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
firetoole said:
So my wife is pregnant and due in late June, and she calls me yesterday from the hospital saying she has something called Toxemia and has to be on bed rest for the rest of the pregnancy. She can only get up far about an hour a day, and I have to call every 3 hours to make sure she is ok. To add to the matter this will cut our income in half for like 3 months (not good)
Anyone ever heard of this? Is it dangerous? Should I be freaking out as much as I am?
Yes, I have heard of it. Actually, my mom had it when I was born and one of my girlfriends had it just before her daughter was born.

It sounds like it was discovered early which is very good. She just needs plenty of rest, lots of fluids and protein and everything should go well if she strictly adheres to the doctor's orders. Best wishes to you both.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
firetoole said:
To add to the matter this will cut our income in half for like 3 months (not good)
Look into workmans comp, I'm sure a Dr. will provide all the info she needs. Does she get paid for maturnity leave from her job?

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
Man that sucks...I agree with splat. It's not all that uncommon. I'm sure you were aware of the circumstances before she got pregnant (as far as what you were going to do when she had the baby). It's just going to hit you a little earlier than planned. You'll get through it. I'm still recovering. My wife took the entire year off to stay home with our second. Talk about a kick in the nuts. I told her we needed to save all year before it happened. She didn't get it. We worked up some credit debt which I hate. She's been back since August, and it's killing me trying to catch up. I even have a little resentment towards her, because of it. You'll be okay though. I know it's hard but try not to take the lack of funds out on her. Especailly, now. She needs to stay stress free. Good Luck.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
firetoole said:
She works for a Non Profit Org so no and no.
Brian's right. I also work for a non-profit. I got disability from my employer and the state when I broke my leg and was off of work. Look into it. Worst case senario is that they say, no.

Good luck to you both and congratulations.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
firetoole said:
Toxemia is nothing to mess around with. Bed rest is going to be hell on both of you. Just be glad you don't already have a liddle kid running around with your wife on bed rest. :eek:

-S.S.-