Quantcast

So tell me about Timberline...

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I want to come up with a friend or two for the race (coming from Snowshoe) Sept. 27-28.

I'd like to get a place to stay saturday night. Any recommendations?

Is there a schedule of events laid out yet?

Thanks.

S

seespotendo

um message jrnolan he's the guy you wanna talk to!

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I have and not yet received a reply. It's only been a few days however.

I was mainly looking for some personal experiences from other riders.

S

seespotendo

i was there during their free weekend, whatcha want to know?

S

seespotendo

well i didnt stay over night. but want i do know is that they have a campground and they also have a bunkhouse. thats all i know. wish i could be of more help. :imstupid:

jrnolan

Monkey
May 9, 2008
There is every kind of lodging available from camping to slope-side homes. When I get to work I will get the Telephone numbers you need to make a choice.

Repoman

Chimp
Dartman:
There are plenty of overnight lodging options for you. There are lodge rooms and cabins at Canaan Valley State Park (10 minutes away) and Blackwater Falls State Park (20 minutes away). On site, Timberline has a bunk house that's something like $16/night - but it's pretty basic. The Herzwoods and Northwoods condos are slopeside - they rent through any one of the local real estate companies - Canaan Realty, Timberline Realty, Mountaintop, Timberline Four Seasons. They also rent homes on or near the mountain - but that can be a little pricey. Also, the are B&B's in Davis and Thomas - Fiddler's Roost, Bright Morning Inn, and Meyer House. Davis and Thomas are about 20 minutes from Tline. You can also car camp or primitive camp at the state parks or off Camp 70 road near Davis. Check this link for more lodging info with phone numbers - http://www.whitegrass.com/lodging.html

The weekend of the race coincides with the Davis Leaf Peepers festival, so book now - lodging other than chalet/condo rentals may be hard to come by. Actual peak fall colors are about 2 weeks later though. The Revenge of the Rattlesnake XC race is on Saturday the 27th. It will be a grueling and very technical 30-40 mile point-to-point race from Timberline to Davis.

Hope some folks come up and check things out. Canaan Valley's a really cool place, and the DH stuff at Timberline adds some new fun to the area.

Repo

jrnolan

Monkey
May 9, 2008
I got the following info about the Herzwoods units at the base of Timberline.

HI JR,
The units I have available in Herzwoods for that weekend are:
C101, C102, C104, C301 and Doc's unit C304. These are all 2 bedroom, 1 bath units in the building closest to the slope, and come fully equipped.
$100 per night plus tax, 2 night min., $150 refundable damage deposit.
Thanks!

Allison Maddox
Rental Manager
Timberline 4 Seasons Realty
HC 70 Box 475
Canaan Valley, WV 26260
304-866-2127, 866-438-7259
Deerfield Office 800-342-3271
fax 304-866-2182

Repoman is right there are a lot of options. The Bright Morning B&B @ 304-866-5119 is very cool and so is Windwood Fly In Resort @ 304-866-7456

Last edited:

ludovic

Chimp
Aug 5, 2008
Dartman,

We have gathered a LOT of information about Timberline and immediate surroundings.
Here's a good start: look for the TRAVELER'S MAP on www.damaps.com where you will find:
lodging (preview inside of each available property)
dining (pretty basic, plotted on the map)
services (different services in the area that you may find of interest)
shopping (there is not much, because mostly focusing on having fun)
Trails (trail maps with trail preview, action shots, area info, download and print, etc...)

I could go on for a while... but probably suffice to say that the area is un-populated, and if you like to ride, you will most likely want to spend 2-9 days on your very first trip.

Here are some trail name recommendations:
Downhill: Timberline
Doc's Revenge
Ben's Venture
Jim's Jump
Yellow Mellow
Find them here: www.damaps.net/wv/area/timberline

Cross Country: Davis and Surroundings (about 15 minutes away)
Canaan Loop Road: www.damaps.net/wv/bike/trail-1231
State Champs Short: www.damaps.net/wv/bike/trail-1171
State Champs Long: www.damaps.net/wv/bike/trail-1181
Find more trails in Davis here: www.damaps.net/wv/area/davis

After checking into the above, you may want to venture into North Dolly Sods - located within easy reach from the top of Timberline. However, during this time of the year, you best go there with some local knowledge.

In any case, the rides are as abundant as the public land... vast!

Hope this helps a bit