Quantcast

So this is what I spent over $1 million dollars for. Part 2

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Did some more demo over the weekend, completely filled one dumpster

Looking into the kitchen

Looking into the family room, I removed the goal posts surrounding the fireplace.

Here's the old furnace, a new one is going into the attic on Wednesday:thumb:

I framed in the old opening to the laundry closet, that will be moving to another location next week.

The new/old opening to the hall(it was originally framed for a doorway:thumb: I framed in the opening to the downstairs bedroom.

Looking at all this, I am SO glad the original sale on our old house fell through, the downstairs is pretty much destroyed:cool:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
narlus said:
so what is yr timetable for completion? you doing the work solo or w/ a crew?
Solo & with friends, Sat's demo was with 2 friends, yesterday was solo. I'm subbing out the furnace, electrical, tape & texture drywall and the kitchen cabinets. I'm doing the framing, plumbing, hanging the drywall and finish carpentry.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
SkaredShtles said:
I recognize the house across the street. That house goes for ~350K here. And I thought our area was pricey............. :eek:
It is a rip off, but it's what houses go for here. And to be honest, our house IMO is worth between $350-$400K.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Brian HCM#1 said:
Between $100K-$150K for everything. Our kitchen appliances alone are over $17K.
good god, man. and that's with yr contractor friendly price? Wolf? Gagganeau?

i think we spent about $3.5K on dishwasher/fridge/oven/hood.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
narlus said:

I'll bet his dishwasher alone costs that... if it is one of those stainless 2-drawered units. And if he's got Boshe applicances... ChaChing! $$$

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
N8 said:
I'll bet his dishwasher alone costs that... if it is one of those stainless 2-drawered units.
the Fisher & Paykel got the worst reliability ratings (by a wide margin) in the last Consumer Reports i read.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
narlus said:

36" 6 burner Wolf range, Kitchen Aid dishwasher (stainless) Built in kitchen aid 42" fridge (stainless), 27" Dacor warming drawer, Dacor microwave/convection oven, Wolf chimney style (stainless) vent hood.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
narlus said:

It's California, he bought an immigrant family to live below the kitchen floor to tend to his needs.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Brian HCM#1 said:
36" 6 burner Wolf range, Kitchen Aid dishwasher (stainless) Built in kitchen aid 42" fridge (stainless), 27" Dacor warming drawer, Dacor microwave/convection oven, Wolf chimney style (stainless) vent hood.
No mini beverage frig..???

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
N8 said:
I'll bet his dishwasher alone costs that... if it is one of those stainless 2-drawered units. And if he's got Bosch appliances... ChaChing! $$$
I like the Kitchen Aid over Bosch, the Bosch is a hair quieter though, Julie and I stared at them for quite a while before deciding on what to go with.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
nice, sounds sweet Brian.

biggest gripe i have w/ my kitchen is that our street doesn't have natural gas service (and i didn't want the propane tank in the yard). i would kill for a nice big range like you've spec'd.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Alright Brian.
I gotta know something.
You say yourself that you think the house is worth about $350 or so,
yet is sells for a million.
I realize that that is just what it goes for around there, and it should be worth about 1.3 mil when you are done. That's cool. I understand the economics of it.
But my question is, What is it about living there makes it WORTH it to you guys to spend that much more for this location?
This is not some smart-azz question or any attempt at giving you crap. I just want to know what you like about the area straight up.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Jeremy R said:
Alright Brian.
I gotta know something.
You say yourself that you think the house is worth about $350 or so,
yet is sells for a million.
I realize that that is just what it goes for around there, and it should be worth about 1.3 mil when you are done. That's cool. I understand the economics of it.
But my question is, What is it about living there makes it WORTH it to you guys to spend that much more for this location?
This is not some smart-azz question or any attempt at giving you crap. I just want to know what you like about the area straight up.
The school are is ranked very high, but it's just the prices in the whole Bay Area, it's expensive. I believe it's all relitive though, the cost of living here is higher, but also the jobs pay more. There are burger places (In n' Out) that have a starting pay of $9.95 an hour.

It's a great area to be in 3 hours from the mountains (skiing) 1.5 hours from the beach, 35min from San Francisco. There is a lot to do here in the Bay Area, I guess thats why it's so expensive.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I Are Baboon said:
I'll probably be in San Fran again this September. I'm looking forward to the tour of your new house. :thumb:
No prob:thumb: hopefully we'll have most of the house done by then, I have a 2 year goal to complete the interior.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Brian HCM#1 said:
The school are is ranked very high, but it's just the prices in the whole Bay Area, it's expensive. I believe it's all relitive though, the cost of living here is higher, but also the jobs pay more. There are burger places (In n' Out) that have a starting pay of $9.95 an hour.

It's a great area to be in 3 hours from the mountains (skiing) 1.5 hours from the beach, 35min from San Francisco. There is a lot to do here in the Bay Area, I guess thats why it's so expensive.
Yeah, I have traveled a good bit, Nor and So Cal, all over Colorado,
parts of Canada, parts of Mexico, all over the Northeast, all over Texas, New Orleans etc.... and San Francisco was the only place where I did not want to get back on a plane to come home. I got engaged to my wife there and everything which had something to do with it, but I really liked that place.
But it still blows my mind to see the huge price differences around the country.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
that's my point...the 'convection' part of that oven can be used as a warmer...how many times will 1) that be too small for whatever is being kept warm or 2) all appliances will be in use towards the completion of the cooking?

what do you do w/ yr kids during these hosted dinners? or are other kids around as well and they do their own thing? keep the grommets occupied has limited our dinners w/ other adults.