Quantcast

So what do you think of carbon seatposts?

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
I'm in the process of building an aluminum hardtail for XC riding right now. I have no doubts that riding a hardtail will be rougher than I'm used to....

I don't really want to go the suspension post route quite yet.....I was thinking about using a carbon post. Opinions? Also, if using a carbon post is not "death defying" does anyone have any links to so inexpensive posts?

Thanks!

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Personally, I hate them with the fire of one thousand suns. Maybe they're good for a roadie, but I just couldnt keep the Easton one I had in one spot, and the post collar chewed it to pieces.

L

luelling

I have a carbon post on my road and cyclocross bikes and I have no complaints, they are Ritchey posts. Altough, on both of those bikes there isn't a lot of post showing. My friend had an SDG I-Beam XC post (carbon of course) and it broke riding UP a hill, talk about a crummy post. It was a technical trail, but I was still shocked it broke.

If your looking for comfort, there are some seats that can offer a fair amount of "cush" and a good tire setup is a must. I personally wouldn't spend money on carbon posts, unless you are really concerned with weight

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I have snapped the heads off of two easton carbon posts, and those were on an FS bike. A hardtail will put more stress on it. I know plenty of people that have no problems, but if you are on the heavy side I would second the suggestion to get a ti post. Or you could avoid the issue and get a gravity dropper. I love mine.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
man i can second the thompson post. the one on my dh bike is absolutly amazing. it is well worth the cash you drop on it, but they are on the heavy side. so if you are looking for weight reduction i say go ti. i dont have any experiances with carbon post but i really dont want to be concerned with a post snapping underneith my ass.:plthumbsdown:

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
Carbon seat posts? I've been through a few seats on my thomson seat post.

I can only imagine the shape of a carbon seat post at this point. Based on the fact that I have taken shots hard enough to trash ti rails on my seat, I can only imagine that would trash a carbon seat post.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
This is pretty much confirming what I thought that I should do.....buy a Thomson and call it a day.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Carbon seat posts? I've been through a few seats on my thomson seat post.

I can only imagine the shape of a carbon seat post at this point. Based on the fact that I have taken shots hard enough to trash ti rails on my seat, I can only imagine that would trash a carbon seat post.

As little as you ride, how do you do so much damage?

:busted:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I have one on my road bike, mainly because I got it free (FSA K-Force, woot) and that my seat never moves on the road bike. For moutain I wouldn't go for carbon because all that movement up and down will destroy it and make it dangerous. Get a good Thomson or a Moots Ti, or go nuts and switch to the SDG I-beam.

L

luelling

This is pretty much confirming what I thought that I should do.....buy a Thomson and call it a day.
Thomson is a bit heavier, but they kill it in reliability snd stiffness. Go for it

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Thomsons are nice and are on every bikey I own, except for my XC hardtail. You'll appreciate a ti post on your hardtail a lot more. Try one if you're able to.
Thomsons are stiff as fook. Ti has a bit of sproingy goodness, and gets rid of the high-frequency trailbuzz.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Thomson - Set your max ride height and cut the extra post.
Save your weight in wheels/tires, bar/stem, and pedals (see ti spindles)

Dirt Merchant

Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
Hilton, NY
My friend had an SDG I-Beam XC post (carbon of course) and it broke riding UP a hill, talk about a crummy post.

Hard to believe: I've thoroughly abused my SDG I-Beam, and love it.
My Thomson was slightly bent when I replaced it.
The I-Beam does take the edge off a little, I guess...

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
hmm....I don't see how everyone is breaking seat posts...I mean they see very little abuse unless you crash. I have used both carbon and Thomson posts with absolutely no problems.....right now I have all Thomsons just because they're cheaper than carbon posts...D

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
hmm....I don't see how everyone is breaking seat posts...I mean they see very little abuse unless you crash. I have used both carbon and Thomson posts with absolutely no problems.....right now I have all Thomsons just because they're cheaper than carbon posts...D
200 lbs and seated climbing through rocky trails can put a surprising amount of load on a post.

From what I've seen, most fail where the head is bonded to the post. They also seem more sensitive to constant raising and lowering.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I saw a lot of people breaking carbon posts circa 2003, haven't seen problems since then. I still wouldn't use one on my Flux which has about 12" of post exposure.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
It is funny how I have used 2 carbon handlebars (Easton only), but I would never use a carbon seatpost.

The clamp is certainly one issue, and changing the seat height frequently seems like a great way to gouge your post.

But there seems like there is a lot of stress coming in different directions, like constant sitting vs casing jumps. While you might think bars take the brunt of the force, during pedalling, it takes very little, particuarily compared to the load of a rider's full weight on the seatpost.