Quantcast

So what pedal should i smash my feet on...

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Hi all,

Ok, i ve did my monkey duty and searched the forum (yay) but i need some more info.

After chatting with a few friends of mine and after reviewing how i ride i noticed the following.

When i am on XC duties or road riding, i pedal using the ball of my foot (ie. i am clipped in). I noticed than when i am doing tough stuff (DH/FR or a lame personal version of those), i use my arch to pedal instead of the ball of the foot. I feel more safe and balanced that way. Is it normal? Is there anyone else that is doing the same? (i know bout 2 monkies that do).

So having said the above i realized that for casual DH/FR, my Time Z pedals wont do it since riding in the arch is just not doable. Hence i am looking into flats.

Wellgo B25
Azonic Xtension are my options.

Basically the Azonic looks like more quality. Pay in mind that Wellgo is NOT cheap in the UK, so there is small price difference between the two.

Any recommendations opinions and advice on those two models an especially the Azonic X. Also comment on the pedalling issue above.

I am greatfull in advance for your replies
Your sincerely
Yannis

(yay formal post...)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I use the arch of my foot when I'm riding down the hill. I use the ball of my foot when pedalling up the hill or on the road. I feel more stable when I'm on my arch but I feel like my pedalling form is better using the ball of my foot.

As far as pedals go, I typically use whatever is cheap from my LBS. If the Evil/E.13 pedals end up offering something better than the rest of the market, I might look into a set of those, but I smash my pedals on rocks a lot and would rather ding up a set of $35 Odyssey Twisted Pros then a set of $100 Easton flats.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I've not been real impressed with Azonic stuff, it's not really any nicer or innovative than anything else out there that cost less, well aside from their bars I guess. I'd actually look for something different. Or since you're kind of new to flats (which seems really wierd as most are new to clips) you could just get the cheapest flats you can find (try a BMX place) and go from there. FWIW I've been riding some like cheaper versions of these for over 3 years without a single problem other than they're missing about 8 of the balls from each bearing (hooray for cup and cone loose ball style bearings, hands down the most durable, or abuseable at least.)

Mumbles

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
i use welgo b-27s (i think..) and they seem to have lasted forever and are nice and grippy. a bit more pricy than some, but they seem to have been worht it so far!

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
i use wellgo magnesium flats, about half a pound less weight than most pedals, cost about $50 us.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
math2014 said:
Thanks guys...

I will pay a visit to a bmx shop that is next to my house...

BTW, are bmx pedals different to mtb ones?
Get 9/16", many BMX pedals are 1/2"

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Lots of modern BMX pedals are 9/16 as well, if mountain bikers can break 9/16" spindles you better believe BMXers can break 1/2" spindles. I've only seen 1/2" pedals on low end and children's bikes recently.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
-BB- said:
YES... Differnt size bolt/screw
NOT TRUE.

pedals for one piece cranks are a different size, but the rest of the pedals on the face of the earth (except for original shimano DX pedals that worked with the internal offset cranks) all are the same size.

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
Just to sneak in and piggyback on Yannis' thread, anybody have any thoughts on who makes pedals with a particularly large platform? I'm currently running Sun Ringle Zuzus, but they feel really small under my size 13 shoes.

I really like the looks of the Atomic Aircorps pedals, but I've read way too many horror stories about the bearings being crap to lay out that kind of cash for a set.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
joelsman said:
i use wellgo magnesium flats, about half a pound less weight than most pedals, cost about $50 us.
yeah I have had 2 pairs both over a year...I just went to supergo and bought another pair. They're on sale right now for 25 bucks:)

rjw

Chimp
Apr 18, 2002
UK
math2014 said:
24/7 makes the allegedly the biggest platform pedals
The 24Seven Slack is by far the best pedal I've ever used. Nice and big, and loads and loads of grip.

There is a new version called the Slacker on the way which should be even better.

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
If you go the bmx route, I've had good luck with SNAFU's and I've heard good things about Odyssey Cielenski's. Both are like 25 bux in the states. I personally can't justify spending very much on platform pedals.

EDIT: Some people don't like these guys, but www.danscomp.com has pretty much any bmx pedal you'd want. I think they're big enough to ship internationally, too, but I'm not positive.

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
Ya, I'm hot for a set of Odyssey Jim Cielencki pedals, kinda like a low profile primopro, which are extremely popular among the abusive types, they've got a decent feel, are burly as nothing else and are cheap too.

oh ya I ride exactly the same as you Math, but i've learnt over the summer while riding my road bike that the meat of the ball of your foot is far more effective than the front, if you intend to get more out of the roundness of your stroke. it's quite similar to riding on your arches because you use the backside of your ball to pull the pedal back and up; a skill one should learn in order to bunny hop more effectively on flats.

and for size I don't think much can touch the 24 Toaster http://unrealcycles.com/items/24b-toasterpedal.htm

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
CreeP said:
oh ya I ride exactly the same as you Math, but i've learnt over the summer while riding my road bike that the meat of the ball of your foot is far more effective than the front, if you intend to get more out of the roundness of your stroke. it's quite similar to riding on your arches because you use the backside of your ball to pull the pedal back and up; a skill one should learn in order to bunny hop more effectively on flats.
Hmmm i dont get it... the meat of the ball?

SuperSlow

Monkey
May 18, 2004
Bellingham
Atomic Dog said:
Just to sneak in and piggyback on Yannis' thread, anybody have any thoughts on who makes pedals with a particularly large platform? I'm currently running Sun Ringle Zuzus, but they feel really small under my size 13 shoes.

I really like the looks of the Atomic Aircorps pedals, but I've read way too many horror stories about the bearings being crap to lay out that kind of cash for a set.

Primo

they are huge

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I rock the Oddysey Jim Cielenki pedals, that is an amazing pedal. Quite a few people who have tried mine have gone out and bought a set for themselves. Plus Jim's a cool dude :D

Almost all BMX bikes, anything decent anyway, use 9/16 threads now. The only time 1/2 threads are used is for low end single piece cranks.

RITFreeRider

Monkey
Sep 10, 2003
In a Boulderado state of mind
math2014 said:
24/7 makes the allegedly the biggest platform pedals.... at least thats what mbuk says...

damn those new specialized lo pro mags look nice too

I just got a pair of the specialized mags and they're awesome. Tons of grip with a low profile. They're like 100x better than the primos that I was using. They've got replaceable pins too which is a nice feature.