Quantcast

So what would YOU do?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
So, your Nissan 1998 pickup has 115k miles...and you just had to have the tranny done in January. $2100 job, during which you incurred a $500 rental car bill. (this comes after a cracked exhaust manifold and a burned out alternator and wiring harness which together totalled another $2k or so...and incurred another rental car bill at that time so you could get to the Red Bull Rampage...)

Anyhow, you're driving said pickup home, having decided that you'd not sell it anytime soon after putting all the work into it...you're leaving the military in February and aren't sure of the income you'll be making. You might end up going to grad school, you might end up with a federal job that doesn't pay much, and might take you overseas. Not the time to have a car loan to worry about, or to deplete your savings buying a new car in cash...

So as you turn off the freeway, your transmission bombs again. You can't shift, coast the car to a parking lot, and get AAA to send a tow. You have it towed back to the same as*holes at Midas who were responsible (though they used a subcontractor) for the absurdly long transmission job (which needed to be sent back twice before it was acceptable to drive), in hopes of them considering it warranty service. (no tranny should die in 5 months after a rebuild).

While you're inside talking to Midas manager, who's non-committal at best but will take a look inside the tranny the next day, the tow truck driver smashes the front of your truck against a pole, crushing the bumper, grille, and front edges of the fenders, pushing them through the radiator which pisses fluid all over the front. The tow truck driver, also the owner of the towing company, tells you uncoerced that he's liable for it all and will have a body shop come by Midas tomorrow to make an estimate. (not that the body shop is going to be able to fix the radiator and whatever esle was crushed).

Besides laugh (or cry), what would you do? First thing I did is borrow my friend's VW bus to drive in the meantime, while I'm sorting out a potential rental car (Midas probably won't, although I could argue with them if they admit it's their fault the tranny went, but the tow guy said he'd pay for a rental once the repairs from his damage were underway).

I could look for a new car right now while the repairs are underway, and deal with the repairs and possible civil suit against Midas in due time(for the value of the 1st tranny job, which was obviously faulty). I could get a used car, now, too, which would be easier on the wallet...but not as reliable, which is really key to me.

Should I finance a new car if I get one, or spend my savings buying it in cash? Or should I just find what seems to be a reliable beater until I'm established in a new place with a new job next winter?

I pretty much want to get a Subaru for reliability and practicality. New Outback Sport wagons are fairly reasonable...but used ones seem really high-priced, comparitively. Even damned Civic hatchbacks are going for $9k these days!

What to do, what to do?

MD

Edit: In retrospect, I should have had another shop look at the tranny 1st, then sued Midas if the unbiased opinion was that it was somehow Midas' fault. But it's too late for that...

I guess I could take my case to the Midas corporation itself if I'm dissatisfied with the response I get here...I've given these guys chance upon chance and it's always been mega-drama getting parts and getting my truck fixed. That baffles me, as it's a Nissan pickup, not a Lotus Esprit or a Mazerati or something.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Ironically, I got a Nissan to do just that...planned on driving it to 250,000 miles, what with the legendary Nissan reliability and all that.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Not to bag on the Xterra crowd but Nissans aren't known for their reliability... something about the V-6 and auto tranny doesn't workout. I have known a few guys who had that combination and the same bad luck. At least on an old Ford or Chevy they usually have big V-8s and solid transmissions. Dodge is notorious for bad transmissions as well.

J

JRB

Finance something you want and if you end up with trouble after your tour is done, pay it off with savings. Get something within your means if you have to do so and make sure you get like 1% APR or something good like that. Good luck.

This is what I would likely do.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Serial Midget said:
something about the V-6 and auto tranny doesn't workout.
I have a 4-cylinder with a standard, lol... 4wd. Sloooooow. (now even slower...) I was going by the reputation of those old Nissan hardbody pickups to just keep going and going and going...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
loco-gringo said:
Finance something you want and if you end up with trouble after your tour is done, pay it off with savings. Get something within your means if you have to do so and make sure you get like 1% APR or something good like that. Good luck.

This is what I would likely do.
Pretty good advice, thanks...

If/when I sell off the truck post-repair (and post-lawsuit, etc.) I could toss the money back in savings or use it to pay off the financed car, too.

MD

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Well, I just want to say that car payments blow. I don't know what your savings account looks like, but if you DO need to finance, go short term and suck it up with the high payments. If you can avoid it, though, that's probably the best route to go. Especially because you end up upside-down on 90% of car payments anyway unless you don't drive the thing.

Especially if you don't know how much you'll be making shortly, I'd say get a reliable, used car, in cash, now. That gives you some time to put some money back into savings, especially if you don't have to be fixing it all the time.

Good luck. Sounds like Midas screwed you - hope they make things right.

edit: Actually, loco's solution sounds really good. If you make sure that you'll have the $$ to pay it off when and if you need to...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
MikeD said:
I have a 4-cylinder with a standard, lol... 4wd. Sloooooow. (now even slower...) I was going by the reputation of those old Nissan hardbody pickups to just keep going and going and going...
A *standard* transmission crapped out on you? And then a SECOND? Standards don't usually do that. I'll be they screwed up the clutch or shifter or some such.

I've only seen one manual transmission EVER go out. On *any* car.

-S.S.-

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
The truck has had a good life... let it go man.

Depending on how likely you, er, I am of getting a military job that would send me overseas, I'd buy a used vehicle. If the chances of going overseas were good, I'd spend no more than $5 on a honda or a toyota in good physical shape but with faily high miles - say 100-125k. A Tacoma would be my first choice. If the chances of going overseas were low, I'd spend a bit more, still look at honda or toyota, but with slightly lower miles, say 50-75k.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
If my wife wouldn't freak out about not having room for a car seat I'd say I'll straight up trade your beater truck for my beater saturn, it just needs new tires, brakes, and a rack and pinion, oh and there's that ellusive oil leak, the drivers side power window issue, the sunroof that quit working and the light in the trunk. Funny thing is the last car I had was the same make model and year saturn and I couldn't find a single problem with it after 140,000 miles except that when a guy in front of you spins out in a snow storm you hit him. I guess that there just have to be a few suckers out there who buy the only lemon on the lot and have to deal with the problems untill they can find a new sucker.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
jacksonpt said:
Depending on how likely you, er, I am...
Yeah, sorry for the second-person diatribe, lol... it reads like one of the old choose-your-own-adventure books.

As for how my tranny is so jacked, I don't really know. The transfer case broke early on, under warranty (stuck in sand, shifted to 4wd, and *ping* something broke and 4wd low gear was no more) and there were broken teeth on two gears which necessitated the last tranny job. Maybe it's just hamfisted shifting on my part, but I don't think that's it.

The tranny job in October was messed up originally...you'd shift into third and the gears would grind despite the clutch being fully in. The Midas manager agreed with me and sent it back (and paid for a rental car that time.) I've never felt that shifting into third was smooth since then, but he assured me the problem was fixed; I guess I just assumed it was a break-in issue at first, then got used to it. Well, I guess it was a break-in issue, cuz it broke. And, coincidentally, it broke while I was shifting into third.

MD

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Get a used Toyota truck. 2wd 5speed. They are cheap, reliable and have less to break. Those throw down miles without a prob.

Sounds like the "Midas touch" is sort of like the Sicilian kiss of death. I'll steer clear of those clowns after your ordeal.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Thats a cool scooby, but 200,000 mi :eek: Wow.

I was thinking of more like a 90-95 Toyota, but then you run into the mileage thing again.

reliable, cheap and used are sorta like light, strong and cheap. Pick any 2 :(

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Ha. So true. I found a Forester with 86k miles for $8,000 locally. I may just buy that in cash.

MD

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
SkaredShtles said:
A *standard* transmission crapped out on you? And then a SECOND? Standards don't usually do that. I'll be they screwed up the clutch or shifter or some such.

I've only seen one manual transmission EVER go out. On *any* car.

-S.S.-
I had the standard go out in an early 80's Toyota 4x4. Got it fixed, and it crapped out again within a month.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Yeah, Midas is now saying they think it's a hydraulic problem in the clutch.

HMMMMM.

Just maybe that's what actually led to all my tranny problems in the first place? The clutch always had an abnormal throw to it... But everyone from Nissan to Midas said it wasn't a problem, even though I had a clutch go out at 60,000 miles. They told me it was all the driving in the mountains I did, high RPMs and engine braking wearing things out.

I wish I knew more about cars. This crap wouldn't happen to me if I did. Then again, I'm learning more daily...the hard way. When I have a son, he'll know this crap.

Anyhow, won't know for sure about the tranny problems until they've fixed the rest of the damage.

MD

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Tranny problems suck.

Especially when you're in a dark hotel room and all of a sudden the lights come on there's some skeevy dude with a camera and you end up on when of those websites.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
BurlySurly said:
Tranny problems suck.

Especially when you're in a dark hotel room and all of a sudden the lights come on there's some skeevy dude with a camera and you end up on when of those websites.
Yeah, that's why I avoid drops to tranny at all costs. You just never know what you're getting into...