Quantcast

So whats the VALUE on my bike?

yellowfox

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
Akron OH
I'm just looking to see what you guys think the value of my bike is (not what its worth but how much it would sell for realisticly) Heres a pic and a parts list.

03 Giant AC with freshly rebuilt Swinger 4-way and brand new PIG headset
04 Marz Super T
Profile crankset with profile 38t sprocket and e.13 bashguard
Truvativ Box guide
Shimano 8 speed shifter, Sora short cage deralleur Sram cassette and pc-58 chain
Crupi pro pedals
Arrow DHX 24" Rims laced to Hope hubs front and rear, Arrow Prime bite tires and Kenda K-rads
Hope M4 7" front 6" rear
Truvativ husselfet bar and stem with ODI lockons

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
SkaredShtles said:
I'd estimate around $12.95. Maybe a dollar or two more with that rad fork.

-S.S.-
Ebay is a great tool for finding the approximate value of anything... here is a very similar bike that sold on ebay...

You'll get about $1,250.00 for her... - make sure you take great pictures and have a good description if you use ebay to sell it...

ebay - 03 AC1

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I think $1250 is a pretty optimistic estimate. I'd think just under $1000 if you're lucky. You'll get more, possibly, parting it out.

Even with all the cool components, it'll be "just a Giant AC" sold as a bike...as parts, there's some nice stuff there.

MD
MD

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
For insurance purposes, I'd say about $3000-3500. If you sold it, you would probably get about a grand. Maybe more on ebay if you are good at making ads.

yellowfox

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
Akron OH
thanks for the replies guys. I'm lookin at possibly selling the bike or frame to build up a bullit. I have been racing DH and was at mayhem in the mountains last week and after seeing all the mud and crap getting ground into bearings/bushings i'm thinkin about getting a single pivot ride. Not totally sure yet but its a thought.

the 03 AC is warrantied with a DC as per 1-800-us-giant.

J

JRB

yellowfox said:
thanks for the replies guys. I'm lookin at possibly selling the bike or frame to build up a bullit. I have been racing DH and was at mayhem in the mountains last week and after seeing all the mud and crap getting ground into bearings/bushings i'm thinkin about getting a single pivot ride. Not totally sure yet but its a thought.

the 03 AC is warrantied with a DC as per 1-800-us-giant.

Hi - buy my bike. I rode a DC and ride in the mud a lot. The bushings are schit now. Want to buy a bike??? Dude - don't use yellowfox on Ebay for a user name.

yellowfox

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
Akron OH
haha i was curious to see the value, if i wanted to sell it i would say "make me an offer"

I'm actually thinking of sellign the components and keeping the frame for my gf but i'm not sure. I'm not really down with all the linkage.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
yellowfox said:
I'm not really down with all the linkage.
Have you actually had problems with the linkage, or are you just assuming you will?

Cartridge bearings are pretty well sealed things...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
yellowfox said:
just assuming. No problems yet. I know the bearing kit for the bike is almost $150
There's no reason to buy a new bearing kit from Giant. New bearings at your local hardware store will be $5-10 each and you can replace them one at a time.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
SkaredShtles said:
You're not very helpful...............-S.S.-

Yeah, but he has a hell of a cool avitar. The Desendents rock. :thumb:

I agree with the folks that said to part it out on e-bay. I bought my bike part by part on e-bay. I should have saved my cash and bought a complete bike. I would have saved like 500 bucks. That said I'll give you fofty bucks for it.

J

JRB

yellowfox said:
just assuming. No problems yet. I know the bearing kit for the bike is almost $150

Dude - I used to replace all bearings on my NRS for less than $50, buying bushings from the shop.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I think this whole thing is a little silly.. You're considering selling a bike based on exactly zero problems with it, because replacing every single bearing on the bike from the manufacturer costs $150 (when bearings can be had locally for no money), to buy another single pivot which will have worse pedalling characteristics, and the exact same braking characteristics as the AC..?

Keep the bike unless you want a drastic change in your ride or start to have actual problems with it.

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
Did they usually have 'em in the shop? Was that including the rocker bushings too?

-S.S.-
The bearings for the linkage, the main pivot, and the seat stay bushings. I got them twice from a shop in Austin called University Cyclery. Oh and they had them once, and I ordered them once.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
SkaredShtles said:
Now now........ Dude wants a super-rad Bullit. Don't discourage......... :D

-S.S.-
Well, I'd never discourage someone from buying a new bike :D - I just mean, if he wants to buy a Bullit, buy one. But don't do it because the AC might, at some future date, possibly eat up an inexpensive bearing.

J

JRB

golgiaparatus said:
Mine is 2 years old mang... still rock solid, but I quit riding it to live out the rock star soap opera life.

How's Cooter???

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
-BB- said:
Mr. Barker, I think that the bike is worth:
$1301

that is the most b1tch ass move anyone can pull on The Price Is Right. But then again if I were to come on down I would fight dirty too.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Let's not lose sight of the fact that an AC is a single pivot----a linkage-driven single pivot........

I've been riding mine like it was stolen since Jan. of '02. Never a single problem with it at all.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
yellowfox said:
Sweet guys thanks for all the info.

You think the AC will hold up to lots of DH racing? Big drops too?
Questions like that can't be answered.. There's so many variables at work there, you can't possibly predict that. What's "lots"? What's "big"? How much do you weigh? How smooth are you? What kind of drops? Some things, like the smoothness question, can't even really be answered.

The answer is that the AC is a fairly strong bike. It's not super beefy, but it's not weak by any means. The weak spots were the chainstay and the headtube, but I believe they fixed both for your model year.

Ride it like ya' stole it, and replace it when it breaks.

yellowfox

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
Akron OH
I am a smooth rider (raced DH on a .243 for a year) but even that can't explain how smooth i am.

I'll be racing around 20 races a year i would say. As for drops, the biggest would be 15-20' with really nice trannys. andything up to 8 footers will be done regularly

J

JRB

yellowfox said:
As for drops, the biggest would be 15-20' with really nice trannys. andything up to 8 footers will be done regularly

In Ohio??? Do you ride off the roof into the ditches??? This last one is a definite :nope: for Ebay.

yellowfox

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
Akron OH
I sell tons of stuff on ebay and i'm VERY honest with stuff i sell. (%100 feedback with 80 ratings) if i ride the crap out of it, i will tell the person. No big deal to me.

We have lots of stuff local to us we built thats pretty big. Let me search my archives i'll find some of our stunts.

J

JRB

yellowfox said:
I sell tons of stuff on ebay and i'm VERY honest with stuff i sell. (%100 feedback with 80 ratings) if i ride the crap out of it, i will tell the person. No big deal to me.

We have lots of stuff local to us we built thats pretty big. Let me search my archives i'll find some of our stunts.

you do know we're just picking on you right???

yellowfox

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
Akron OH
haha i do know that but hey you should still check out these pics!

I didn't feel like hosting all the pics of the utility road gap we made so i linked it up. there should be a video of it somewhere of my friend hittin it, i haven't YET. :D

Utility road gap New philly Ohio

Heres a couple pics of one of the drops at our trails. Busted this on one my P.2 and 03 DJ2. Measures 8' standing right in front of the drop. No idea how much after you figure the tranny.

and the landing.... Not nuts were harmed in the filming of this sequence.