Quantcast

So what's the verdict on the Deer Valley Slalom?

biker3

Turbo Monkey
Is it cancelled or what? Ill start a petition to get it going again. I could care less how they build it or when they do it as long as they hold the event. Last years wasn't anything spectacular but it was 100x better than any norba MTX or nothing at all. I don't want to start this into a norba bash thread but at least norba has the balls to bring back Dual instead of trying to stick with MTX garbage. Ive said it before and Ill keep saying it, a crappy dual race makes for loads more fun than even a huge burly MTX like angelfire. You get TONS of practice, No worried about getting booted in the first turn and its all about pure skill. Keep the dual coming.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
bcd said:
i have a question too.

which dh is better? dear or brian?
Deer is shorter and tighter with some pretty good turns and wood sections. Brian head is pretty wide open and rough up top but gets flat and a bit slower in the trees at the bottem. I'd say Deer Valley is better overall, barney rubble is a money rock section and the switchbacks are pretty fun.

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
It's cancelled and off the schedule. MTX only in SLC. It was Deer Valley's call not Norba, what I'm told. As for MTX vs DS, overall DS is more popular, but since mtx is the uci sport I dont expect a full reversal.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
Msisle Dad said:
It's cancelled and off the schedule. MTX only in SLC. It was Deer Valley's call not Norba, what I'm told. As for MTX vs DS, overall DS is more popular, but since mtx is the uci sport I dont expect a full reversal.
wait, so you have to drive into SLC for the MTX? WTF kinda idea is that? Anyone know any reasoning behind the deal?

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
Yes, the MTX course is a little over 40 miles away at a BMX track (yes, flat as a pancake). The course designers are doing their best to come up with a cool course. The start ramp is paved and about 30 feet tall so you get a good start but I think it is actually flat from there. They will start a weekly race series out there in a couple of weeks so I will get to check it out then.

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
bcd said:
is brian pedally? slow? or fast pedally?
It is sort of pedally. More the fast kind. Nothing like say crested butte (I saw you do that race a few years ago so I am sure you can relate). For Brian Head fitness is a plus but good bike skills will come first.

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
biker3 said:
f-ing rediculous. I assume you and Morgan won't be heading out? BTw how'd he end up at Sugar? Didn't he take an early digger in qualifying or something?
We will be going to DV , and he will continue on to the US Nat's. He qualified 7th at Sugar, and scored a dnf after hitting the last gate in the 2nd run of round of 16.

You did well ... Congrats

LaytonDH

Monkey
Dec 19, 2003
UT
I'm helping to build the 4x track. Unfortunately, it is completely flat other than a paved start hill. the start gate is an eight man metal start gate with a paved start hill. The first straight has one big roller, then a double/table, then a step up/step down. Straight two is a step up, then a four pack. Straight 3 has a double double, then a step up into the last turn. The last turn is set up with 3 distinct lines in it. Then the final straight has a step up, a step down, and a double. It is all flat, and you will get very tired.

The course is fun to ride, and BMX'ers will find themselves right at home, but make no mistake, there isn't anything that makes this much different from the ABA BMX track in the same complex. The only advantage, is that there are lights/concessions/bleachers etc.

The venue is at least 40 miles (70-90 minutes at rush hour) from Deer Valley.

I find it ironic that NORBA is holding a NMBS 4x n the flatest part of the Salt Lake Valley, surrounded by some of the best mountains in the West.

We are working on the track tomorrow night, and I'll post some photos then.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
LaytonDH said:
I'm helping to build the 4x track. Unfortunately, it is completely flat other than a paved start hill. the start gate is an eight man metal start gate with a paved start hill. The first straight has one big roller, then a double/table, then a step up/step down. Straight two is a step up, then a four pack. Straight 3 has a double double, then a step up into the last turn. The last turn is set up with 3 distinct lines in it. Then the final straight has a step up, a step down, and a double. It is all flat, and you will get very tired.

The course is fun to ride, and BMX'ers will find themselves right at home, but make no mistake, there isn't anything that makes this much different from the ABA BMX track in the same complex. The only advantage, is that there are lights/concessions/bleachers etc.

The venue is at least 40 miles (70-90 minutes at rush hour) from Deer Valley.

I find it ironic that NORBA is holding a NMBS 4x n the flatest part of the Salt Lake Valley, surrounded by some of the best mountains in the West.

We are working on the track tomorrow night, and I'll post some photos then.
wow....sounds like if peeps have a bmx'r hangin' around to just use that....

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Bwaha...they're doing a NORBA 4x at Rad Canyon? God help us.

What about that track off of I-15 in Ogden? There's at least like, 75 feet of vert there...

Hell, build a 4x track at I St., but they're doing it at Rad? :dead:

LaytonDH

Monkey
Dec 19, 2003
UT
blue said:
Bwaha...they're doing a NORBA 4x at Rad Canyon? God help us.

What about that track off of I-15 in Ogden? There's at least like, 75 feet of vert there...

Hell, build a 4x track at I St., but they're doing it at Rad? :dead:

We could probably find 20-30 better places to put it in/around SLC or Park City. The track at Rad Canyon will be a great place to train/have fun, but it's not what should be offered for a national. It is however, exactly what everyone has come to expect from NORBA this year.

The "funny" part is that the ABA runs the complex, but has already said that if they run a mountain bike gravity series in the future, they wouldn't use this site.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
LaytonDH said:
We could probably find 20-30 better places to put it in/around SLC or Park City. The track at Rad Canyon will be a great place to train/have fun, but it's not what should be offered for a national. It is however, exactly what everyone has come to expect from NORBA this year.

The "funny" part is that the ABA runs the complex, but has already said that if they run a mountain bike gravity series in the future, they wouldn't use this site.
I totally agree. Rad Canyon is fun, but not for a National. I find it ridiculous that they couldn't put one on a slope in PC, hell, having the 4x race 30 mins away in SLC is not necessary. Stupid ****ing NORBA.

925hell

Chimp
Mar 20, 2006
SLC, UT
Open practice is on tuesday at 6:30 to 8:30 all you need is long pants, long sleeve shirt, helmet, and pads on the stem and top tube. There is a membership fee but I forgot how much, thursday is race day, if you get 4 friends with 26"s they'll make a class just for you. The people who run the track are really helpful. I'll take pics of the 4X this tuesday when I'm down there.
JK
Hey blue wanna build a 4X track at I let me know...I need to do something constructive.

manwithgun

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
dear GOD, please help us put the mountain back into mountain biking..... how 'bout we round up a few folks on the side of the hill Friday afternoon, stake a DS course out with beer cans, open cash entry, winner takes the pot.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
925hell said:
Hey blue wanna build a 4X track at I let me know...I need to do something constructive.
Eh...I've done a little bit of digging up there with my neighbor (mostly due to proximity, we live in the aves), but building a 4x track at I Street would be a difficult endeavour for a multitude of reasons. First is space...I suppose you could sort of put it where the halfassed pump track is (piss people off), or maybe back on the north side in that small ravine (really sandy). Second is the gromulens (and that ogdmfg guy I've heard so much about) who seem to flock in droves to I with shovels..very little stuff seems to stay around for very long, mostly due to the unregulated nature of the spot. Third is the nature of constructing one...huge PITA...if you intend to finish it in a weekend before the groms can trash it whilst it's half done, you'll need a crew of quite a few people (10 would be a good number).

If you can scrounge together 5 peeps with tools and a few wheelbarrows, I'd be down to help dig, but I fear such an effort would be a waste.

925hell

Chimp
Mar 20, 2006
SLC, UT
yup, my bad, I was thinking about building in a perfect world where nobody makes changes to other peoples projects. It's too bad really so many options up at I.:nopity:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
925hell said:
yup, my bad, I was thinking about building in a perfect world where nobody makes changes to other peoples projects. It's too bad really so many options up at I.:nopity:
There really are...

Who does the property it sits on belong to? SLC?

The problem is two sided...its unregulated nature, as I've said before, and its popularity with everyone and anyone. The best DJ/FR stuff I've seen has either been A) Regulated by the landowner, or B) Relatively secret and illegal.

Ogd, I think I see your bike on the front of an express bus downtown sometimes. I roll around on my SGS. Its fun.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
What are the bike requirements to race MTN-x with NORBA?

Is there anything to stop me from bringing my 20" with me?

I thought it was a three gear, suspension, and two brake deal. I can tie a shock to my frame (Does the suspension actually have to work?) and put a front brake on...

Whatever, I'll just race Super-D instead.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I dunno man, they booted my friend at the Sea Otter for running a 26", front Suspension, single speed. The rub being the single speed.

I know I've run 24" before, but I don't know if they'd react well to a 20"

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
It's in the rulebook, I've read it though I don't quite remember it. You must have 3 gears. I remember a guy racing at SOC with a stock BMX cruiser with a front brake so I don't know how much the rules are enforced.

LaytonDH

Monkey
Dec 19, 2003
UT
People have been riding the new course. The hot set up seems to be a 26 hardtail made as light as possible. The 26's are a lot faster than the guys riding it on 20's. Having at least 3 gears helps to get out of the gate faster. I'll have some photos of the track posted later today

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
What's sad is the SUper-D is right in the middle on the 4x stuff this year. , and the SuperD coure at DV was actually fun, only had like one climb on it and was actually a DH type event.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Tattooo said:
I dunno man, they booted my friend at the Sea Otter for running a 26", front Suspension, single speed. The rub being the single speed.

I know I've run 24" before, but I don't know if they'd react well to a 20"

if you want to run a ss.

i used 3 front rings 32-34-36 with a tentioner pulley
i only used one gear of my chioce. but i had 3 usable gears.
i just shifted them with my finger while riding to prove i had
3 gears. worked fine for me.