Quantcast

So what's up with guys like Waddell these days?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Haven't any news lately about Waddell...and that other guy whose name escapes me...but he wrecked and essentially paralyzed himself a few years back...

And for that matter whatever happened to Myles "Tommy Chong" Rockwell?

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
yea i was just watching the mt stanne section of earthed this morning and was wondering what the news is on waddell.... anyone?

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
You can read up on myles (along with Cully and Leigh D) in MBUKs new 3 issue feature on "Legends of the old school". I think Leighs is out now, Myles' will be next. They are long in depth stories on the old schoolers. Myles article is going to be great, I guess he really said some revealing stuff in his interview. Check out MBUK.
Waddell was on the circuit season last, just hanging out, he can ride a bike, but I doubt he will race again-its just too risky on his brain. Hes a little different now-just a little slower in his speech, but pretty much the same- but he is remarkably better than he should be for that kind of head injury-I saw it and I thought he was dead.

Haven't heard anything about Rockwell since his arrest for pot growing - almost 1 year ago. I heard the maximum sentence was up to 6 years behind bars, and up to a $500,000 fine, but haven't heard anything on the actual sentencing...

for_sale

Chimp
May 25, 2004
Truckee
Hes a little different now-just a little slower in his speech, but pretty much the same- but he is remarkably better than he should be for that kind of head injury-I saw it and I thought he was dead
I walked the course with him in West Virginia and he must have said at least 10 times that he was happy he wore boots instead of flip-flops. I guess thats doing good, but its kinda sad.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Pretty sure Waddel has started racing again at a local level at least. And Oz mags have reported he's training harder than ever to get back into it. So I'm not sure he's given up on racing.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
ALEXIS_DH said:
what about the guy that had an awful accident while filming kranked 5??
Do you mean Tarek Rasoulli (sp?)? If so I saw him at Sea Otter in a chair so I assume he is paraplegic.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
stiksandstones said:
Waddell was on the circuit season last, just hanging out, he can ride a bike, but I doubt he will race again-its just too risky on his brain. Hes a little different now-just a little slower in his speech, but pretty much the same- but he is remarkably better than he should be for that kind of head injury-I saw it and I thought he was dead.
Sad that he's not going to be able to race. It's amazing the places this sport can take you and where it can leave you. I know my life will never be the same for good and bad reasons. DH racing has given some of the most amazing experiences and memories of my life, by it's also left me with a life long disability. And I was just a no name first year pro. I can't image how hard it would have been if I were in Waddell's shoes. The bigger you are when you fall, the harder it must hurt.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i heard from the sc web site that he is just going to do endurance races, like 24hr races. he said that he would not be able to get back to dh as the skills needed for dh take about 10 yrs to learn.

sleepinggiant

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by ALEXIS_DH

what about the guy that had an awful accident while filming kranked 5??

Do you mean Tarek Rasoulli (sp?)? If so I saw him at Sea Otter in a chair so I assume he is paraplegic.
Wait, what are you talking about? I have Kranked 5 and know nothing about this.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Unfortunately I think his injury was permanent. Although it did look like he had good use of his arms. I wonder how far up the spine the damage is because it may be possible that he could get one of those awesome off-road chairs like Stacy Kohut or Trevor Snowden have.

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
SirChomps-a-Lot said:
I dunno if this is old news, but it looks like wentz is back in action he showed up midpack at sea otter.

Anyone heard about saboo?
I saw Saboo at Sea Otter. I was very happy to find out that he can walk again. His legs are still pretty weak so he was getting around the pits for the most part on an electric scooter thing.
I was also very please to find out that he is still the same old Saboo from before his accident. I am sure one of his friends from Vision can come on here and give you more info on his condition.