Quantcast

so whats up with magura gustav's?

biker3

Turbo Monkey
so what is the deal with thse brakes? I hear there awsome when they work. What kind of problems do they have? Are they just high maintenence or do they flat out just mess up? Are they super light like other magura brakes? Have they fixed any problems in 04? thanks and enlighten me please!

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
i think they had some reliability issues with some of the older models, but I hear that's been improved when the recent stuff. I rode a buddy's bike with them, and liked them. They feel alot like hayes to me, really firm feel at the lever, and gobs of power, infact, they were probably the most powerful brakes I've ever used.

steve45

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Dundee, Scotland
been using the gustavs for almost a year now, i am mighty impressed, they have to be the best brake i've ever used by miles.

they are really powerful(huge understatement)
probably the best modulating brake i've ever felt, so keeping that power under control is a breeze
reliablity, i've heard of people having trouble with sealing with the old bright yellow ones, but the 02 upwards are very reliable, more so than most of my buddies hopes, actually i havnt had a single problem yet.
not the lightest brakes but trust me the minimal extra weight will not be noticed on the bike
i wouldnt say it goes through pads much i'm on my second set about the same as other brakes i've had.

infact i think the only drawback they have is the large price tag, but even then its totally worth it though.

bottom line - these are the best brakes ever:D

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Gustav Ms are great brakes really powerful and good modulation.
because of the floating caliper they will allways rub a little on the discs, but with careful setup you can minimize that.

they had reliability issues in 2001 and 2002, as of last year they goot a new lever and that solved the problems.

all in all great brakes, imho they are on par or better then hopes
but heavier and more expensive, even in germany :)
if you get a good deal, go for it.