Quantcast

so who wants to start building some trails?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
here is the deal, winter is upon us so the poison ivy will be gone. im gonna start building some trails with some fun features. maybe do an every other sunday thing? whos in?

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
biggins said:
here is the deal, winter is upon us so the poison ivy will be gone. im gonna start building some trails with some fun features. maybe do an every other sunday thing? whos in?
Still beware of the poison oak. I am highly allergic to the stuff and spent 3 years in the Army as an infantryman. The only time I got poison oak was in the dead of winter. Not sure if this is true but have been told you can get the stuff from the roots. I always thought it came from the leaves, but who knows. Anyways just be careful and dig on brother.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Are you still working on the dirt jump park you posted about a while ago?

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
biggins said:
So does this mean you are staying in NC?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
So does this mean you are staying in NC?
actually the funny thing is that i might end up in vero beach florida for a couple of months very soon.

as for the dirt jumps, that was a private location that a few monkies got to experience.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
biggins said:
actually the funny thing is that i might end up in vero beach florida for a couple of months very soon.
Bring your bike, there is a dirt jump park close to Vero

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
profro said:
I remember those fondly. Sad they're gone :(
yeah the owen jumps were lots of fun. i miss them. im talkin about trails with nice big bike jumps in them and berms and cool stuff like that though, in the woods with the occaisional ladder.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
biggins said:
how far away? those look sweet.
About an hour or so from Vero. If you go to www.FreeRideSouth.com under the pictures page, and search for "Merrit" you will see more pictures.

Unfortunately there isn't much riding in Vero. But you are not too far from decent riding in Ocala and about 2 hours to come down and party in Ft Lauderdale.

buck

Chimp
Jan 26, 2003
poolesville/clemson for school
Id help out sometime. Only problem is I dont have a car, I should next year though. Ill talk to some guys I know and see if anyone would be interested in driving up some weekend. Ive been itching to ride up in NC. Are you planning to build on some private land? Or what is your general plan.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
well, here is the deal. alexander mountain bike park is a large area of land that is a buffer between the land fill and the french broad river. it was donated to the biking population and a big parking lot was built. there is an old mountain cross course there that we built a few years ago and all kinds of varying terrain as well as some single track. the problem is that in lieu of all the briars and rednecks with guns nobody rides there. in the dozen times i have been there i have never seen another person. the land would be grat for some freeride/flowy/dh stuff. i am also considering the possibility of resurecting the mtn-x course with about 60 gallons of roundup.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
buck said:
Id help out sometime. Only problem is I dont have a car, I should next year though. Ill talk to some guys I know and see if anyone would be interested in driving up some weekend. Ive been itching to ride up in NC. Are you planning to build on some private land? Or what is your general plan.
where is poolesville?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Curiouscaptian01 said:
me too... those were some fun jumps
well, think about this, a trail wit several jumps like the big one at owen, with berms and the occaisional stunt. in the woods and going downhill? sound good?

buck

Chimp
Jan 26, 2003
poolesville/clemson for school
Oh im from poolesville, md, but Im going to Clemson Univ. right now. I rode with you and that other guy last winter at north mills river. I had the As-x and my friend had the Banshee with shiver. Ill talk to some guys and see if we can come up some weekend, probably not this saturday since we are playing USC and the weekend right after thanksgiving everyone will probably still be home. But it sounds nice and it would be cool to make some trails.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
ohhh hyeah i wondered where the hell you guys went. well, im down for it anytime. hopefully tomorrow im gonna get out there with some flagging tape and mark some things so we are not just blindly cutting trail through the woods.

mtbjunkez

Chimp
Nov 24, 2004
Hendersonville, NC
I could do some building during Christmas break......Are you interested in building some shore stunts?? If so will you be using natural or treated wood? I've got some wood to bring if needed. Would I need to bring a hammer, nails or a shovel??

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
well we would be building at alexander mtn bike park outside of asheville. stunts are cool and i wouldnt mind a few but im thinking more flow, natural terrain, big berms and doubles kinda stuff. i need someone to go out there with me asap and do some scouting. i own shovels and a chainsaw and some other random tools.

mtbjunkez

Chimp
Nov 24, 2004
Hendersonville, NC
Sounds good.....i go to a boarding school and have no real freetime antill my breaks so it will be a couple weeks till my xmas break when I could come up and get some trail building in...

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
its an unused mountain bike park that we are building in. there is already an old dual/4x course there and some existing trails but due to rednecks with guns/poison ivy/ thorns/and atvs nobody goes out there. i know about the hucksters they are friends of mine and beleive me we have all learned from their mistakes