Quantcast

so who's riding where this weekend?

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
Three days off! Yay! So where is everyone riding this holiday weekend?

Me: Saturday after work, arastradero. Sunday: maybe going to some dirt jumps with a friend. Monday: waterdog park andTuesday: Santa Teresa to practice downhill.

It's a good way to start off the summer!

And ooh! Guess what? I got a new bike! I'm the proud owner of a Nomad.

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
Good luck and have fun!!!

I haven't decided yet where I am going to ride today. It's already in the mid- to hi-90's! Debating about whether I should hit the fast, fluid xc trail, or a technical, rocky trail. Hmmm. decisions decisions.

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
Nowhere unfortunately--its rainy in the PNW. I think I'll have to go Scuba Diving this weekend instead. Overcast rainy weather is perfect for diving. I can't wait for the weather to clear up so that I can go for a ride!!

TurnerGrl

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Metrowest MA
Let's see...sorta solo (with my dogs along with me of course) ride at 'Nam on Saturday - hooked up with a couple of different groups and thankfully the second two guys were sessioning a drop that I have been eyeing for years. After a couple of "if you'll do it then I'll do it" I hit it twice in a row perfectly. I am stoked to have hit it smoothly and can't wait to get back and check some more stuff off my list. Really helped my confidence and makes me think that there will be more within my reach this season. Not that it was anything all that dramatic - maybe 3.5-4 feet, but I just never could get my nerve up to huck it. So I'll take every little victory that boosts my confidence!!!

Planning a day trip to Diablo on June 10 (ugh - at least 2.5 hours each way and I'm driving down by myself) but I am dying to get down there to check out the features (one of my buddies is trying to convince me that everything has been built so smoothly that I can hit Dom's Denial, the Flume Drop, and the Porch Drop but we'll have to see how me and my inner chicken are getting along that day :help: ). Have to do an up and back because I just can't afford a pet sitter for all weekend especially since I'd like to do a couple of more day trips there, to Highland (when they open) and Jiminy. And of course now the KT Monkeyfest. :D

Hey Treesaw, let me know if you want to trek down and meet me for the day trip at Diablo on June 10 - and of course any other local monkeys are welcome, too!!! I'm so excited to get back there I can hardly stand it. :dancing:

Sunday was a "recovery" xc ride pedaling some more flowy trails on the Turner since I still haven't broken out the Epic this season.

Tomorrow with the forecasted hot weather (yay!) I will probably get a road ride in. Don't want to go out and hammer, but would like to get a nice long slow distance ride in to enjoy the sunshine and keep working on building my fitness base.

Back to work on Tuesday and Wednesday but trying to decide whether to hit up a group ride at Lowell Dracut State Forest up in Lowell after work or head back to my old crew at 'Nam - after all, now that I'm stoked from hitting a new drop I want to get back there and knock some other stuff off the list. :thumb:

Hope everyone is having a safe and fun holiday weekend. And here's to summer....wheeeee! :weee:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
TurnerGrl said:
Let's see...sorta solo (with my dogs along with me of course) ride at 'Nam on Saturday - hooked up with a couple of different groups and thankfully the second two guys were sessioning a drop that I have been eyeing for years. After a couple of "if you'll do it then I'll do it" I hit it twice in a row perfectly. I am stoked to have hit it smoothly and can't wait to get back and check some more stuff off my list. Really helped my confidence and makes me think that there will be more within my reach this season. Not that it was anything all that dramatic - maybe 3.5-4 feet, but I just never could get my nerve up to huck it. So I'll take every little victory that boosts my confidence!!!

Planning a day trip to Diablo on June 10 (ugh - at least 2.5 hours each way and I'm driving down by myself) but I am dying to get down there to check out the features (one of my buddies is trying to convince me that everything has been built so smoothly that I can hit Dom's Denial, the Flume Drop, and the Porch Drop but we'll have to see how me and my inner chicken are getting along that day :help: ). Have to do an up and back because I just can't afford a pet sitter for all weekend especially since I'd like to do a couple of more day trips there, to Highland (when they open) and Jiminy. And of course now the KT Monkeyfest. :D

Hey Treesaw, let me know if you want to trek down and meet me for the day trip at Diablo on June 10 - and of course any other local monkeys are welcome, too!!! I'm so excited to get back there I can hardly stand it. :dancing:

Sunday was a "recovery" xc ride pedaling some more flowy trails on the Turner since I still haven't broken out the Epic this season.

Tomorrow with the forecasted hot weather (yay!) I will probably get a road ride in. Don't want to go out and hammer, but would like to get a nice long slow distance ride in to enjoy the sunshine and keep working on building my fitness base.

Back to work on Tuesday and Wednesday but trying to decide whether to hit up a group ride at Lowell Dracut State Forest up in Lowell after work or head back to my old crew at 'Nam - after all, now that I'm stoked from hitting a new drop I want to get back there and knock some other stuff off the list. :thumb:

Hope everyone is having a safe and fun holiday weekend. And here's to summer....wheeeee! :weee:
Awesome work on the drop. I really need to get out and practice my drops. I was getting them and then last summer didn't do them as I was prego...now I just need to get my confidence back again!

I'd love to day trip to Diablo, but I'll have to check with the babysitters & Hubby to see if I can take the day and go. I know I have a baby shower that weekend, but I think it's the 11th. I'll definitely let you know. I haven't been there since fall of '04 and am itching to get my DH gear on!

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
GrapeApe79 said:
Nowhere unfortunately--its rainy in the PNW. I think I'll have to go Scuba Diving this weekend instead. Overcast rainy weather is perfect for diving. I can't wait for the weather to clear up so that I can go for a ride!!
yes, pouring, dripping and generally wet here. So I've been working on a tool grant proposal for our club and catching up on movies instead. :mumble:

TurnerGrl

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Metrowest MA
TreeSaw said:
Awesome work on the drop. I really need to get out and practice my drops. I was getting them and then last summer didn't do them as I was prego...now I just need to get my confidence back again!

I'd love to day trip to Diablo, but I'll have to check with the babysitters & Hubby to see if I can take the day and go. I know I have a baby shower that weekend, but I think it's the 11th. I'll definitely let you know. I haven't been there since fall of '04 and am itching to get my DH gear on!
Thanks for the props - I am most definitely still trying to get my groove back on drops. Would be SO cool if we could encourage each other at Diablo!

So please let me know how things are looking - would love to hook up with you for a ride there! FWIW, I figure on being there for 9 or 9:30ish (still not sure of the drive time) and roll out by 3 PM or so at the latest to avoid being too wiped out to safely drive. Keep in touch on the subject the next two weeks and let's see if we can work this out! :thumb:

TurnerGrl

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Metrowest MA
TurnerGrl said:

:

Update for Monday: 35.5 miles on the road (dang but it seemed all uphill) and then sucked it up mowed the side and front yard until I ran out of freakin' gas - the petrol kind, not the girl kind! Decided I'd had enough anyway (being a single homeowner has its major advantages, and NOT...!). So, uh...does that count as cross-training?? :rolleyes:

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
Hey all-great weekend so far! Lots of firsts for me!

Took the Nomad out on the trails Sunday morning at Waterdog. Lots of fun downhill, and swoopy singletrack. I wanted to ride longer, but the chain on my friends bike came off, so we ended up walking back to the car so he could work on it.
Then we headed over to a local dirt jump spot called Shells and I did my first jump ever. :) That was totally fun. I can't wait to try more!

Then today we went to a bmx track in the morning, and another dirt jump spot in the afternoon. I've never ridden a bmx track before, and I was suprised to find it so tiring! I'll definitley go back.

And tomorrow I'm heading to Santa Teresa to practice downhill stuff.

I've had a great weekend so far; got to play on my new bike and go riding with my most favorite bike person in the world; who also happens to be extremely talented on the bike, plus a total hottie. So yay me! I wish every weekend could be like that! :)

Oh! And the Nomad is very aggressive downhill, but totally rideable uphill. I'm loving it!

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
East County via East Coast
No bike riding this past weekend, but I did go ride the whitewater for the first time. About 12 of us went rafting on the Lochsa River in Idaho (along the Lewis & Clark Trail) and braved lots of Class IV and V rapids. It was amazingly fun, even despite the rain!

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
zoey said:
Oh! And the Nomad is very aggressive downhill, but totally rideable uphill. I'm loving it!
The Nomad is sweet. Seems like everyone is getting a Nomad nowadays. Ok, I'm just jealous...

Due to the lovely moist PNW weather we just rode one local XC ride(Banner Forest, in case MudPuppy and Woos are reading ), got very wet but had alot of fun. Then spent the evenings watching the entire Red Bull Rampage retrospective.

A number of people I know went up to Whistler and reported some pretty good conditions for half the long weekend...

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
redFoxx said:
Due to the lovely moist PNW weather we just rode one local XC ride(Banner Forest, in case MudPuppy and Woos are reading ), got very wet but had alot of fun.
Yeah, we rode there Sunday evening and I rode there sat evening with a friend too. Didn't see you though:clue:

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
Mudpuppy said:
Yeah, we rode there Sunday evening and I rode there sat evening with a friend too. Didn't see you though:clue:
No because we are usually there mid-morning. At least we cleared out the spider webs for ya!

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Raced the US Open this past weekend. Race report here:
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155901

Pics coming soon.

Post script to the race report:
So I'm at the Philly airport awaiting my flight back to CA, and I call Mom and Dad to tell them about the race. I get to the part about the crash, the gash in my hand, and the subsequent trip to urgent care and stitches.

My mom's first response: "So, how's the bike?"

:eek:

I love it. You can't make this stuff up. I tell my mom I have to get stitches and she asks about the bike.
:thumb:

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
stephanie said:
No bike riding this past weekend, but I did go ride the whitewater for the first time. About 12 of us went rafting on the Lochsa River in Idaho (along the Lewis & Clark Trail) and braved lots of Class IV and V rapids. It was amazingly fun, even despite the rain!

here's a shot of Lochsa Falls Class 4. ( l love this picture)
I bet it POURED on you guys this weekend. High water, too! Wow!!We would have been there too but hubby has an injury that's keeping him off the boat. I'm still trying to find the good trails in that canyon so I can ride while he boats.

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
East County via East Coast
Ah, sweet picture!! It was sunny/warm on Friday but Sat and Sun were rainy/drizzling. But, I guess once you're getting splashed in the face by some freezing cold whitewater, what's a few raindrops?! We successfully made it over Lochsa Falls three times, though we took on a lot of water on two of the days :)

If you ever get another chance to go, definitely try it out!

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
stephanie said:
Ah, sweet picture!! It was sunny/warm on Friday but Sat and Sun were rainy/drizzling. But, I guess once you're getting splashed in the face by some freezing cold whitewater, what's a few raindrops?! We successfully made it over Lochsa Falls three times, though we took on a lot of water on two of the days :)

If you ever get another chance to go, definitely try it out!

I'm not so hot on class 4 and above myself, but it's my hubby's passion. He goes down there 3-4 weekends a year as we only live a few hours away, and we have our own boats. That picture is my son. We figured it was pouring down there this weekend, I am really suprised to hear that it wasn't. That canyon is notorious for rain - I've watched the river rise a foot overnight from rain down there.

Glad to hear you didn't swim the falls. :) Did you do the upper whitewater section at all? (lochsa falls is the lower section)We paddled that last year, and had a few swimmers. Very exciting.

You'll have to come back, there are a few hot springs in the canyon you can hike too.

gg