Quantcast

So, will this work in North America this year? (Live World Cup)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
You will need a proxy. I am lead producer for the Freecaster World Cup and MTB coverage this year. I put the entire program together from scratch, in fact, I proposed the idea to them. It is a HUGE endeavour with over 30 000 euro already spent.

WCSN owns the EXCLUSIVE rights to UCI coverage in the USA (not Canada), MTB, road, cyclocross etc. They had some sketchy contract with the UCI and the UCI person in charge went to work for them 2 weeks later, Surprise! They have not EVER broadcast a MTB event as far as I know and have tried to sue freecaster multiple times.

We will have tape delayed packages for the USA from every event as we are allowed a certain amount of minutes of footage from each event as per UCI regs.

Coverage starts 1 week Wednesday in Maribor, Slovenia. 4x and Dh will be live outside the USA. There will also be live chat (even if you cannot see the video). There will be daily packages each day of the events (wed-sunday usually). On off days or travel days we will sometimes have interviews or "pro bike" tech segments filmed the week before.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I am lead producer for the Freecaster World Cup and MTB coverage this year. I put the entire program together from scratch, in fact, I proposed the idea to them. It is a HUGE endeavour with over 30 000 euro already spent.
So.....

what you are saying is, more than just quality snaps then?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
They do? This is the first season if so, I am guessing XC only right?

And ya, they charge for all of their coverage. There is also blackout conditions, so you may want to check on those before you drop the $.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Unfortunately we have one more year of their shenanigans, and then it looks like another party will own the rights. One who plans on actually using them. One more year to tough out.

I can guarantee that while our coverage will not be live to the USA (proxy *cough) we will have fantastic coverage tape delayed all week from every major event. We have hired some of the top MTB videographers to work with us and film MTB the way it should be. Look for Lutze, Schroth, Patterson etc to be doing a crack up job.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Just a quick peek into their forums showed how many people sign up to see their respective favorite WC sport (race walking!?) only to get burned.

I think you'd have better luck at adultfriendfinder.com. :disgust1:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Whatever is being broadcast by the UCI is what we will be showing live. This is due to the way it must be sent to the satellite etc. I believe the UCI only does finals for both DH and 4X. I should have all of that info on paper this week (broadcast times etc).

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
Can someone (besides Fraser since he is connected with Freecaster) tell those of us being screwd by WCSN how to setup up a proxy or something else so we can see the live coverage?

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Can someone (besides Fraser since he is connected with Freecaster) tell those of us being screwd by WCSN how to setup up a proxy or something else so we can see the live coverage?
google it, it's super easy. I watched the Worlds live last year. Just make sure it's an international server

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Search the 07 fort william worlds thread, was a crap ton of posts on getting it to air live (proxy crap).
I never got it working for DH, but did get to see 4x live as Lopes won again :)

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
How's the quality/streaming going to be with this?

I was trying to wash the qasqhi competiion on freecaster when it was live and it was super stuttery, mono audio, and didn't look all that great

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
WCSN owns the EXCLUSIVE rights to UCI coverage in the USA (not Canada), MTB, road, cyclocross etc. They had some sketchy contract with the UCI and the UCI person in charge went to work for them 2 weeks later, Surprise! They have not EVER broadcast a MTB event as far as I know and have tried to sue freecaster multiple times.
god, not this BS again... I'd pony up the cash to WCSN if they'd actually show it live, but to sit on the footage and not broadcast it is completely ridiculous. :rant:

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Knowing there is a way to watch it but not being able to is worse than not being able to watch it. Someone needs to hook up a live feed on RM or run a thread about where and when and we'll be there.

MikeMac

Monkey
May 18, 2006
The bid docs for a World Cup in 2009 leave the rights to a domestic broadcast fairly open-ended. I'm not sure what they've looked like in the past, but my first take on it was that they were open to the idea of someone stepping in here in the US.

MM

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The quality will be excellent. It is a flash h.264 feed. Ie: Very good. We did the redbull moto freestyle stuff form mexico city a few weeks ago and it was the first time that h.264 had been streamed via flash, in HD.

Stik can vouch for how good it was. The event was super boring but we kept watching it because the quality was so damn good.

Mikemac: WCSN's online rights expire after this season. I have a feeling that the UCI might look a little harder before they simply give away exclusive rights in the future! The only exclusive rights sold were online in the USA. A local host broadcaster can still go live to air, just not online.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
It will be streamed via Flash with h.264 compression. This is as good as it gets for streaming video right now. We can do full HD quality if need be.

Our source for the live broadcasts is the host broadcaster TV stream, with our own commentary. We have a commentator hired to do all WCs, as most host broadcasters do not have an english audio stream (ie: Slovenia in a week). For worlds we have a crew of 5 cameras + host broadcaster, our own commentator etc.

Our source for all non live broadcasts (the daily packages all week) is our own crew.

I am not sure what stream MTBcut will be using or what format they will be in, sorry. I do know that in the few years they have been around, I have never actually gotten their player to work on my mac so I cannot comment either way.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
ya...if the feed/footage/footy/quality clips/etc
is anywhere as good as the lame FMX comp in mexico I watched on freecaster, MTBing's comeback will be sooner than we expected.

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
so will mtbcut.tv have the U.S. sorted? i hope so.

their pr:
Mountain Bike World Cup Live on MTBcut

In what is arguably one of the biggest steps that the sports of Downhill and 4X mountain biking has ever seen MTBcut.tv has announced that they are to screen rounds of the UCI Mountain bike World Cup live on the internet.

Following the huge success of the live online broadcast at last years World Championships from Fort William MTBcut.tv, together with the UCI, decided to continue the progression by developing live streaming of rounds of the 2008 World Cup. The first live event will the coverage of the first Downhill and 4X events on the World Cup Calendar from Maribor, Slovenia on the weekend of the 10th/11th May 2008.

As well as the live race broadcast MTBcut.tv will also have top Downhill Videographer John Lawlor on hand to bring the latest action and breaking news from around the pits at the event.

On the release of the news of the live broadcast Stu Thomson, the rider and videographer behind MTBcut.tv said, “this is surely one of the biggest moves ever for the growth in promotion and success of our sport. Last year’s World Championship coverage proved that there is a massive international enthusiasm for live coverage of our sport and now this move will allow the growth and development of Downhill and 4X to continue.”

For more news of the live times and coverage, and also the latest race and mountain bike lifestyle videos click on to www.mtbcut.tv

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
MTBcut will NOT be live to the US. They are under the same constraints as freecaster. WCSN can and will sue anyone infringing on the exclusive us broadcast rights. (They have already in the past).

distilledmag

Chimp
Apr 13, 2007
MOD EDIT: Head monkey says no more link posts to other sites. Content below.

We got onto MTBCUT to find out more about the compatibility issues here in the US:

“Unfortunately, due to long standing contract that the UCI have, we are
unable to broadcast the World Cup and World Championships in the USA. As
far as I am aware the UCI contract was agreed several years ago and allows
one broadcaster the rights for all UCI events in the USA.

From my perspective, it was a huge let down last year for the US viewers
that they couldn’t watch the Worlds on MTBcut.tv like everyone else in the
World. I have no idea if the rights holder in the USA plans to broadcast
the events for 2008, the best course of action to find out would be to speak
to the UCI directly. I would hope though, that pressure from viewers and
also Nissan would result in some sort of broadcast in the USA by the
organization who owns the rights.

I am assured by the UCI that their contract ends at the end of 2008
therefore hopefully allowing a fully global live broadcast.

On the plus side, John Lawlor, who regularly road trips round the World Cups
for MTBcut.tv will be there filming and will have regular video updates
throughout the weekend that will be available in the USA. We are allowed to
broadcast non race footage in the US and also race clips under 3 minutes so
I’ll edit down the live footage straight after the event and show the
winning runs!

Hope that helps you understand the reasoning behind why MTBcut can’t
broadcast in the USA. It’s not great but I’m afraid it is completely out of
my hands.”

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Don't bother, it just makes them come down harder on freecaster and mtbcut. Their rights are up at the end of this season, and from what I understand, exclusive MTB will not be renewed.
The fact that UCI granted rights to live coverage without a clause that they had to show it live or they lost said exclusive coverage gets a HUGE :plthumbsdown: for the UCI in my book. Who can I voice my displeasure to the UCI to? Already sent off a few letters last year to WCSN last year, and that was relatively worthless...