Quantcast

So, yesterday I had to put down my dog.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
This is the second one in less than a year.

I got up in the morning and didn't see him in his bed. It was weird because he always slept in. I walked around and found him just standing on the back deck looking out in the distance at something. i knew something was up.

He was almost 10 years old. Had cancer, we had the bumps removed.

I got a call from the kids at lunch time. They said they thought he was having seizures. I came home and found him curled up to one side, neck twisted, head leaning, panting. He couldn't see me. He couldn't walk, he couldn't get up. When he got up to follow me out of the room, he walked in to the wall three times and threw up. His eyes were going back and forth rapidly and he couldn't control them. I kept calling his name and he'd just look in the general direction.

When i picked him up to take him to the vet, he had three seizures in my arms. They were little seizures, all within about 5 minutes.

The vet said that he probably had a brain tumor. He was tilting his head trying to relieve some of the pain. It made him have a stroke and the seizures.

I didn't want him to live like that. It hurt me to see him like that. I couldn't have him live like that just because i wanted him around. I decided that i should let him go so he could chase his brother which i lost september 30th.

No more pain buddy. No more pain. Keep an eye out for me. I'll take you guys on another bike ride one day.

Attachments

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
didn't need to read......worst feeling in the world for me.

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
Sucks man... dreading my dogs getting older and having to make those same decisions. Watched my dad cry when he had to put our 14 y/o lab down when I was a kid...just sucks.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
It's hard. i miss him so much. I didn't like coming home today because he wasn't there to run up to me wagging his little stump. I hate this feeling. It's so damn hard.

The worst part today at work was when my mom called me to see how i was doing. She started bawling on the phone, which of course made me break down at my desk. Ugh.

i feel really bad for my current dog. He's a younger boxer. Never been without my old dog. now that he's not around, he keeps wandering around looking for him. He's all confused. He keeps looking around for him when it's time to eat. I just wish i could explain it to him so he can grieve and understand without stressing out so much.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I truly hate hearing stories like this. It makes me realise the mortality of my own dog.

Really really sorry for your loss mate. You did the right thing.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
BigT had to put down her sh!tzu about a month before she moved to CT. Her poodle was lonely, having never been with out the companionship. I'm not looking forward to when our poodle has to be put down.

Last edited:

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Sorry to hear. I had to have my dog put down in the middle of the night, two days before Christmas, she was only 8. She had lymphocarcinoma and had been epileptic for years. I feel your pain. Know that you gave him a good life.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Man I'm really sorry for your loss. I'm also not looking forward to the day - not sure what my younger dog is going to do when the older one goes.

Keep your chin up man! At least you gave him a great life and he didn't spend it tethered to a broken down car.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
sorry for your loss. i used to own Boxer's myself. knowing about the breed i'm sure your boy wanted to do everything he could to make you happy. it's a hard decision but you did the right thing. hope your boy makes it to the Rainbow Bridge ok.

Colonel Angus

Monkey
Feb 15, 2005
land of the green chiles
It's hard. i miss him so much. I didn't like coming home today because he wasn't there to run up to me wagging his little stump. I hate this feeling. It's so damn hard.
So sorry to hear this Aaron. It's like losing a family member.

I've had my dog Jack for 11 years now, and while he's still pretty healthy, I'm dreading the day when he's gone. He's been my best friend, hands down.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Hey Leppah, I'm really sorry to hear that. Had to put down my best friend a few years ago and it killed me. When my uncle died, I didn't cry. When my grandfather died, I cried for a few minutes. When we had to put Coco down, I cried for 2 or 3 days.

R.I.P. old friends.

On the bright side, I know that Coco would be happy that we stuck with her breed. She was pure Chesapeake Bay Retriever and lived to almost 13, when they have a life expectancy of 10-11 yrs. Our new little guy is 1/2 Chocolate Lab, 1/2 Chesapeake Bay Retriever. I know Coco is looking down on us and smiling that we love our new little guy so much.

Meet Orly. What a frickin' rascal he is.

Last edited:

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
really sorry to read and hear. i don't have any dogs, but our oldest cat is about 11 and has been diagnosed with diabetes. he's doing better for now, but a few weeks back when he wasn't, i had to have the talk with my kids about the idea of putting him to sleep if he didn't pull through this. and since then i've basically told my daughter (who just loves him so much) that we are on borrowed time and that she needs to give him all the love and attention she can. he's still sick and not the same...but for now...he is doing alright. it will be a very hard time to let him go when the time comes.

prayers sent to you and your family while you grieve his loss.

RIP

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
sorry to hear that, leppah. i just went through the same thing a month and a half ago with my pup; she'd been in the family since i was 15 and was diagnosed with some ridiculously aggressive cancer at the early age of 8. one month later she was gone...

it was the immediacy that really killed me; she was still puppy-ish when i last saw her in february (last time i was home). when i moved back to the area in late june, nobody was there to jump on me as i got out of my car or wake me up at 7am with a cold nose in the small of the back. it's very weird how such a large part of your life can be occupied with such a small being.

leppah, i'll bet your fella is romping around with grace at the moment...

Attachments

Last edited:

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Today was tough. I wasn't as busy today. Gave me way too much time to sit there and just think about it. Sitting at my desk with my hands over my face sure creates awkward situations for whoever walks in my office.

It's getting a little bit easier to talk about it. But there are certain things that still set me off.

I'm just really feeling bad for the lonely little guy.

I've already thought about getting another little duder so my lonely one doesn't become heart broken. It's tough though. My white one (Raiden) had so many bad habits when we got him. He was really hard to work with. He's still got a few little issues. I've got something in the mix though. One of my buddies has a pregnant boxer. He said she'll give birth in about 4 to 6 weeks. i'm going to run my lady over there to check them out without telling her what we're doing. She'll get weak when she sees a little freshy. it might work, it might not. I'd like to get another one that is young so i can work with him from the beginning. But I don't know if it'll actually happen or not.

Attachments

j2d013

Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
G' Vegas,SC
Sorry for your loss my brother. just know that he is in a better place and not suffering any longer. You did the right thing and gave him a wonderful life.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
one of my boys is white too. i miss my boys a lot. my ex gf won't let me see them. it's been tough reading this post thinking that i'll never see them again, won't be there with them when it's their time to go and that really kills me. hopefully you'll be able to get a new little buddy. and hopefully someday i'll be able to get another one myself to enjoy. Boxers are a great breed and like you i miss them greating me when i got home.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I'm yet to learn how much this hurts, however the other week I was told my dog may have excess fluid around the heart and could die quite soon.

I found my dog when I walked to the beach around 15yrs ago, the vet estimated he was at least two when I got him. My freak of a dog is now at least 17yo and until last year had never had a health problem, he has had 2 teeth pulled and that's it. To have a pet/best mate over half your life is sure going to hurt when it all ends, sadly I don't think it will be too long.

If you don't mind, I might resurrect your thread when my dog does pass.

Last edited:

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Do what you have to do. There are a lot of positive comments in this thread that have helped me out a bit. It'll be rough. Still is today. I miss the little guy.

I think next week i'm going to take a day off and take him and his brothers ashes up to the place that i always took them biking. Snowbasin. They loved it up there. I'm going to find a nice shady spot where there aren't many passers by, put them both together, and plant something in that spot. Ugh. Here comes the lump in the throat again.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I've already thought about getting another little duder so my lonely one doesn't become heart broken. It's tough though. My white one (Raiden) had so many bad habits when we got him. He was really hard to work with. He's still got a few little issues. I've got something in the mix though. One of my buddies has a pregnant boxer. He said she'll give birth in about 4 to 6 weeks. i'm going to run my lady over there to check them out without telling her what we're doing. She'll get weak when she sees a little freshy. it might work, it might not. I'd like to get another one that is young so i can work with him from the beginning. But I don't know if it'll actually happen or not.
My wife has a 7 lb. long-haired Chihuahua, "Pepe". She loves small dogs. But once we got to the family's house that was selling Orly, she fell in love and immediately said yes.

It'll work. :thumb: