Quantcast

So you bought a 22 AR-15 rip-off for home defense?

gonefirefightin

free wieners
easy...find a friend out of state...ship it there.

they are cool but not worth a damn... inaccuracy is expended 10 fold with such a small barrel.

you would be better off with a master key mounted on your AR..

I have two set ups

this is one the other is a shorter version

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
first of all your are talking about two different things.

the lead in a 22LR is whole 100% lead. it is extruded from a lead billet, into a wire, then pressed from a mold. it is so soft by that point you can bite through the bullet itself. typically what you are hearing from any deflection is tiny fragments but mostly pieces of whatever it hit. it will go through block, brick, mortar, lumber, and possibly into the neighbors house before it will stop.

steel is what is used for bullet traps, unless your walls are steel and shaped with deflection you will never find a ricochet.

thus is why it brings us to your second statement, the reason a 22lr will tumble through a human body it due to skeletal deflection. it doesn't happen very often but the bullet may not hit a square angle and begin to tumble thus causing a pinball effect on human bone. these tolerances are far and few between. at most one or two glancing hits.

as for your shooting practices.....if you are hearing things zip past your head...you have not done much shooting to warrant even bringing up the subject, your doing it wrong
Hmm.... in my experience a 22 long won't even go through a 2x4.
My lever action 30-30 on the other hand will certainly destroy cement up to 7 or 8in thick.

As for your comments...
I'm not doubting that you have more shooting experience than myself. Still though I'm sure you could have said what you said in a much more appropriate tone. I'm not looking for any kind of e-fight here. We are all grown adults (well, you and I are at least).
:)

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
you would be better off with a master key mounted on your AR..

How much does it affect accuracy at 100m-200m with the forward hold down directly contacting the barrel? Easily punching dimes out at will @ 100m with iron sights on my AR right now. Would I have to remove the master key setup to maintain that accuracy during range days?

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Hmm.... in my experience a 22 long won't even go through a 2x4.

:)
a 2x4 is very short work for a 22lr

How much does it affect accuracy at 100m-200m with the forward hold down directly contacting the barrel? Easily punching dimes out at will @ 100m with iron sights on my AR right now. Would I have to remove the master key setup to maintain that accuracy during range days?
you will never notice a distance even out to 400 meters

Jul 1, 2011
Melbourne FL
Definately not the way you want to go for home defense... Ill take my remington 500 with 3" 00 buckshot, a sidesaddle and tac light any day.

That said, you shoot someone where it counts I dont care what it is, 22, .223 or 12ga and the person is done. IE put a .22 between someones eyes and guess what, hes not going to tell you that you lacked knockdown power. Better be a darn good steady shot with that thing though, because I dont even need to aim the shotty.