Quantcast

SoCal Race Schedule/Calendar

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Anybody have a conclusive list of all the DH races happening in So/MidCal starting this fall?

So far I've got:

Sept. 13-14th: Cal State at Woodward West (Is that even a decent venue? Never raced/ridden it)

Oct. 4-5th: Parkfield Classic

Nov. 23rd: Fall Challenge Fontana

bwolmarans

Monkey
Aug 23, 2006
The Angels, Kalifornia
There is no central calendar.
XC and DH racing is for insiders only.
What do you want this sport to grow????

OK seriously now, it sucks that there is no California racing organization, only a handful of for-profit 2-bit outfits (sorry guys but I call it as I see it) that run races in this state and just gouge gouge gouge.
What a joke compared to 10 or 20 years ago.

But back on topic, even that wouldn't be so bad if there was one place to put a calendar. You have to know the magic websites for big bear events, blue wolf, and Donny's website to find out.

Even mtbr and ridemonkey, who depend on this sport, don't keep a calendar up.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
What are the Lagrange Classic, SGDC and Stump Grinder Dirt Club events like? Never heard of either.

I haven't raced Ellings or Woodward either. Are they worth going to?

EDIT:

Thanks a ton though, that's a great resource!

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Stump Grinder Dirt Club / SGDC is the new name for firestone. We built a slalom track if you haven't heard. It was used for the national race and a small race before that. It's a fun course.

I haven't been to the lagrange classic, but I know it's way up North. Click on each one of those for the sites.

You're welcome!

IVCrider

Chimp
Jun 24, 2006
In Traffic
Got it.

Sounds like Lagrange is a bit too far for me, but thanks for the info.
It's a sick course though for anyone debating whether or not to go. I'd say it's more grassroots style as not very many show up compared to northstar or the latter. Last year it was tacky too. It's a good 7-10 minute course depending on how good you are. Definitely fun, I think the course has over 2000 feet in elevation loss.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
the great thing about your statement is that you have the opprotunity to show us how a "non for-profit 2-bit outfit" should be run....you let us know when your calender is up and we'll come check out your races and stand by the side and talk crap about how you gouge.
(sorry guy but I call it as I see it)

i think Donnie offers a lot of value for the events he puts on...there are things he can do better no doubt, and he would say the same.... but all in all he has done a good job with the Fontana venue and southern California MTB racing.

i agree with you on the calender bit and did a google search of
southern california mountain bike races ...this was the top if the list with one click into the site under racing.
http://www.socalcycling.com/Schedule/2006/mtbracesched06.asp

There is no central calendar.
XC and DH racing is for insiders only.
What do you want this sport to grow????

OK seriously now, it sucks that there is no California racing organization, only a handful of for-profit 2-bit outfits (sorry guys but I call it as I see it) that run races in this state and just gouge gouge gouge.
What a joke compared to 10 or 20 years ago.

But back on topic, even that wouldn't be so bad if there was one place to put a calendar. You have to know the magic websites for big bear events, blue wolf, and Donny's website to find out.

Even mtbr and ridemonkey, who depend on this sport, don't keep a calendar up.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
i think Donnie offers a lot of value for the events he puts on...there are things he can do better no doubt, and he would say the same....
http://www.socalcycling.com/Schedule/2006/mtbracesched06.asp
Yeah git rid of the wall! :D:D:D:D
Eric the course looks good at eagle! Went and rode the expert line and the jump course! Its coming out great, the velodrome is underway and the pump track aside of a little small is pretty OK.
The 4x and DS look good, definently not a beginners course! :thumb:.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
glad you like it...that concept out there in eagle is really cool...any time the city gets behind building a bike park that is a city park open to the public it can only help our sport.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Yeah git rid of the wall! :D:D:D:D
Eric the course looks good at eagle! Went and rode the expert line and the jump course! Its coming out great, the velodrome is underway and the pump track aside of a little small is pretty OK.
The 4x and DS look good, definently not a beginners course! :thumb:.
Oh suck it up, the wall isnt that bad. You gotta get up and PEDAL!!!! I know I know thats a cuss word here!!!!!!

Last edited:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Does anyone know why the upper, steeper, longer portion of the hill at Southridge isn't used? Like past the start gate? Because that could be some fast, burly, fun DH and it would lengthen the course to the point of not needing the wall...

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
It would be kind of a bitch to push up there, but you're right. It would make it longer, and more DH. There was actually talk of a chairlift up to there...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Seems worth it to me. Then there would be some real high-speed stuff too. Maybe it's not available land or insurance doesn't allow further development up the hill? I would guess there's something legal preventing him from doing it, but I could be wrong.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
not positive but i believe it goes into a different county and a whole different group to get approval on,

i have scouted it with Donnie before on ttr's, he has thought about it for many years, if it was a possibility I'm sure we would be using it?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
going to be at the park the weekend of October 4th...its take a kid riding day. should be a fun event.
http://www.singletracks.com/blog/?p=1077
I'll call Phil and see if he'll let me borrow one of them little rodents to ride! Mines back in Flagstaff and my wife wont let my daughter ride DH/FR or anything more aggressive than the sidewalk! :disgust1:
See you there!

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Does anyone know why the upper, steeper, longer portion of the hill at Southridge isn't used? Like past the start gate? Because that could be some fast, burly, fun DH and it would lengthen the course to the point of not needing the wall...
Hiked it, ridden it, not worth the effort to get up there without another way up. its steep loose, but too short IMO to be worthwhile.