Quantcast

Sockets for dentists

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Stupid. Any machine shop will turn down some sockets for some beer. And it's not even complete. Needs 22mm, 25mm, 27mm, and probably a few others to be considered complete.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I turn them down with my angle grinder for ONE beer just fyi.
I have been known to turn down sockets by using a hex drive adapter into a drill, clamping the drill in my vice facing upwards, and spinning super high RPM against various files, or at one point, an angle grinder while holding the drill on with a zip tie.....TOTALLY legit.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
a.)
b.) you said sprockets, right?

*and if you don't think the turn down for what vid is among the best ever, we cannot rescue you from the clutches of the lizard people.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
It's not about being thin enough wall, it's about getting rid of the taper at the bottom of the socket for the super shallow aluminum heads that are typically on the top caps of forks. Most of them are mushroomed over on all 6 corners.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I use the Park HCW-15 for topcaps (Fox 36/40/RC4 piggy, HCW-7 for Charger), they're laser cut steel and super tightly toleranced so they don't damage parts. The ground down sockets are great too, but I find the spanner even less marring for initially breaking them free:
http://www.parktool.com/product/headset-wrench-HCW-15

There's also these which are cheap and a full hex:
http://www.lunarbikes.com/tools.htm

$150 bucks for 5 aluminum sockets. No thanks Jeff.
On top of that, is it just me or is 3/8" drive the size no one usually has?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Files take too long.

Angle grinders make lots of noise and sparks.

No contest.
An angle grinder is hands down the best power tool I have ever bought. A drill may be more useful but if you straight up just want to fuck some shit up, angle grinder.

If you want to turn a street sign into a machete for chopping off the heads of zombies, or Trump supporters, angle grinder

If you want to ignite some oily rags stuffed in the corner of your work bench, angle grinder.

If you want a thousand tiny needles lodged in your face and torso, you can go to a accupuncturist, or chuck up a wire wheel in an angle grinder.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
An angle grinder is hands down the best power tool I have ever bought. A drill may be more useful but if you straight up just want to fuck some shit up, angle grinder.

If you want to turn a street sign into a machete for chopping off the heads of zombies, or Trump supporters, angle grinder

If you want to ignite some oily rags stuffed in the corner of your work bench, angle grinder.

If you want a thousand tiny needles lodged in your face and torso, you can go to a accupuncturist, or chuck up a wire wheel in an angle grinder.
My brother-in-law call the angle grinder "the tool who will forge the future". He's known for opening beer bottles using one.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
if i really cared about my top caps, i would buy a cheap set and fly cut the tops so the radius does destroy the corners.

iv been using a very solid adjustable wrench for rebuilding my fork

lol @ $150....seriously?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have a full set of the lunar wrenches @Udi mentioned. They are great and work precisely as you would want them to. I mangled a fox cap with an adjustable wrench before I decided to buy the right tools. These are the right tools, and pretty cheap. I have one for my 40, my 36, my pike I sold and my 32 I sold. Oops.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Weird i didnt have any problems with the sockets i have. Also i fucking hate angle grinders, i havent even had a grinding disk on any of my three or four for years. I only use them for flap disks to grind welds/shaping and cup wire wheels. Well ok the cordless with a grinder disk is the fastest, easiest way to go through a pad lock. It is the most cussed at tool in my tool arsenal.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
A google search for some whimsical angle grinder images accidentally returned some gruesome angle grinder accident images. Wear your PPE when unleashing the awesomeness.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
and do not wear baggy clothing! one of my classmates during welding college got his baggy t-shirt wrapped in a wirewheel in his dewalt angle grinder, spun his tshirt tight and pulled into his stomach.. took ALOT of layers of skin off, but nothing brutal

now if that was a cutting wheel.......

anyways; fuck those sockets

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I have a full set of the lunar wrenches @Udi mentioned. They are great and work precisely as you would want them to. I mangled a fox cap with an adjustable wrench before I decided to buy the right tools. These are the right tools, and pretty cheap. I have one for my 40, my 36, my pike I sold and my 32 I sold. Oops.
Yep, another vote for the Lunar wrench. I purchased one a few years ago have no regrets. It works perfectly and for $9 it is very reasonable.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Wait, wait, wait....WAIT A GOD DAMNED MINUTE!!!

When do dentists actually work on their own bikes?? :rimshot:
Good point, although my understanding is that when said dentists bring their $10K crabon chariot in for "aesthetic bike surgery", they also bring fancy tools which are to be used in lieu of the common (i.e. filthy) LBS peasant tools. Basically, they have diaper bags for the bikes which include UV protection blanket, $150 socket set, grease made from black rhino horn resin, bottle of Fiji water (for hand washing), etc...

Which, now that I think about it, I wonder if we could start a "Bike Sitting" company that will go exercise your precious plastic pedal poodle when you're traipsing around Bali? I nominate Nathan Rennie and Chris Kovarik for lead "exercisers".

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Which, now that I think about it, I wonder if we could start a "Bike Sitting" company that will go exercise your precious plastic pedal poodle when you're traipsing around Bali? I nominate Nathan Rennie and Chris Kovarick for lead "exercisers".
You need a pro-kit for that kind of a job.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
All this dentist bike talk... it seems like we don't want to call it what it really is... i.e. the way MTBing is going :/

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
and do not wear baggy clothing! one of my classmates during welding college got his baggy t-shirt wrapped in a wirewheel in his dewalt angle grinder, spun his tshirt tight and pulled into his stomach.. took ALOT of layers of skin off, but nothing brutal

now if that was a cutting wheel.......

anyways; fuck those sockets
I had the same happen to me my first summer after high school, using a big ass angle grinder to remove concrete off the edges of forms for basements. 8 hours a day, 5 days a week all summer long.....t-shirt caught in said wire wheel, no skin removal, but a cracked rib when that sucker came tight and slammed into my ribs.

Used to get pieces of wire that would stick into my legs/gut all the time, good times.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
If it's not a 9" grinder with the safety guard taken off then you're just playing really. Those things have maimed so many people they're actually banned from a lot of work sites around here. Realistically though a 4 or 5" grinder with 1mm or 0.6mm cut-off wheel is a pretty awesome tool for a lot of fine work.

Why would you want aluminium sockets btw? Surely steel would last better and be less prone to deformation etc? I've used the lathe to part off the end of several sockets for use on fork top caps with great success. It gives a much more square result than a grinder will.