Quantcast

Socom : Fragile?

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
So whats the word on these things holding up? The are super fragile, or do they take a bunch of poop?

Tell yer story, and post pics too. :D

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
My friend has been riding one for 2 years. I'm surprised how much abuse it's taken. I wouldn't says it's fragile at all. I don't have any pics of him riding it though.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
The ISCG tabs on mine were weak and the rear has some flex to it, but otherwise it's burly. The flex isn't anything that I notice while riding, but if I grab the seat and the wheel and push side to side it's noticeable. I weigh 200+ and haven't had any major problems in the past year... but also haven't had it for the past 3 months.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
A couple of guys over on NSMB dented their downtubes just by hanging it over a padded tailgate up a bumpy road. Yikes!

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
A couple of guys over on NSMB dented their downtubes just by hanging it over a padded tailgate up a bumpy road. Yikes!
I've seen that done on a lot of bikes. It's just from not padding it enough. One blanket isn't going to cut it.

samdemo

Chimp
Aug 8, 2007
and the third bike was a giant...it wasn't just socoms that got dented that day. on a side note, vedder mtn has one of the worst access roads around and has done alot of damage to alot of frames in reguards to shuttling.

i've had mine for almost a year and other then a dent on the downtube, it's been awesome. yes i will agree that it has some rear wheel flex to it, but once on the trail i've never noticed it.if i had to buy another bike today and i could only have one bike...it would be a socom. thankfully this is not the case and i can have more then one bike.

Last edited:
I've seen that done on a lot of bikes. It's just from not padding it enough. One blanket isn't going to cut it.
we don't use blankets or pads on any of our trucks and no one in my crew has ever had a dented downtube as a result of shuttling in the past 4-5 years. some of us even have burly trucks and get rowdy with the bikes in the back...

(Edit: after reading samdemo's post, we seem to just be lucky)

Last edited:

samdemo

Chimp
Aug 8, 2007
also, a friend of mine did 60 plus days of shore riding, lived up at whistler for 3 months(rode almost every day) and used it for dirt jumping, with no issues other then most of the bearings needed to be replaced....this also includes his pedal,bb and wheel bearings. he beat the piss out of it and although it showed, the frame didn't have a single crack.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
We sold a whole bunch of socoms at the fix last year and this spring, and besides one out-of-the-box issue that was immediately taken care of by intense, we have had no failures. I did hear of one local guy breaking his, but for a frame of that weight, Intense seems to have done a fantastic job. Mine had no issues through a long season, and I weigh a solid 185 pounds and am not especially gentle.

Jun 20, 2007
Kanter, I love yours too. Keep the feedback coming, I am seriously considering buying one next year. If so, I plan to use it for a combo of DH and FR.

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
i've had no problems with my socom. socom's can hold up to dh abuse.why dropmachine you thinking of turning to the weight weenie darkside and getting one ?

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Not a weight weenie, just need something thats more sensible for the terrain here. I don't need huge travel, and I don't want a lot of weight. I like something with a relatively short rear, and really the intense just seems to fit. I was also looking at a Cove STD (Mini-dh i guess) or even the Shocker, although its more then I need.

ape

Chimp
Jan 15, 2007
One of them was mine. Much crying. I love that bike and I honestly can't think of any bike I'd rather be on and I have a raging case of bike related A.D.D. As to durability, I've had mine a year and I've ridden it pretty hard with absolutely no issues but that vedder access road(4x4 only fireroad) really stamped it. The dakine pad wasn't enough obviously and the ****ty part was that I sat there before I jumped in the truck wondering If I should wrap my kneepad around the downtube.

reidhresko

Chimp
Jun 27, 2006
PRB
i did the exact same thing in colorado on a shuttle ride. these things ar the most paper thin Dh bike I have ever owned. while they ride awesome and are super fast, they are one use race bikes. so, if you crash bikes or go big, do not buy one. there is a FRO decal on the bike for a reason.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Kanter, I love yours too. Keep the feedback coming, I am seriously considering buying one next year. If so, I plan to use it for a combo of DH and FR.
I use my Socom for everything from epic XC to DH racing. It weighs about 37-38 with I9 wheels and Intense 2.35 2ply tires for XC. Then it weights 41-42 with the Azonic Outlaws and Maxxis Minions 2.7/2.5 for DH. Ive done drops as big as 6-8 ft and its held up so far. Ive also done XC rides as far as 18 miles and 3500 ft of vert.

Im pretty easy on my stuff and I dont crash that often so I have no worries. If you crash a lot and dont take care of your stuff get another bike. Its tough for what its designed to do but it is thin and flexy. It pedals amazingly and I love the low bottom bracket. I got a small because I wanted a bike mostly for FR and tight North Shore riding. I am 5'9" and the recommended the medium but I wanted a short bike and the small fits me perfect. Ive owned an 06 and 02.5 Foes Fly and many Big Hits and the Socom is my favorite bike Ive ever owned. I have ridden a lot of other bikes and the Socom pedals so well.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2003
Virginia
Horror Biz...buy one!!! You will not be happier with another bike. I do have to agree with some of the other posts about rear wheel flex(just a bit), if you grab the rear wheel hard and try to move it.
Riding no worries. If you want to haul ass down the mountain, float over rocks and be able to pedal it, buy it.
If you race downhill...buy it!!!
I bought one 2 years ago, then I bought another for my son, he was on a Santa Cruz VP Free.
I wouldn't ride anything else, maybe a M6 :rolleyes:
Buy one, it'll make you smile when you beat all your friends to the bottom of the mountain.

Last edited:

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Another vote from me, i'm really getting into it now, owned it for about 6 months & its getting better & better :)

The whole FRO thing is marketing gumph, if the frames really were weaker than the other offerings, Intense would be taking a big gamble in offering the same 2yr warranty they offer all other bikes.

Rides well, takes everything I can throw at it, & importantly to me, rides light. Only things i'm changing is to start cutting down the RideWide bars, as i'm noticing my hands creeping in on a run, maybe take them down 2cm, and to ditch the 823 tubless set up for 721's.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
VPP's in general are pretty hard on bearings, especially on those around the lower pivot, in experience 2 or 3 sets a season (UK riding) seems to be about the going time, the rest last a season.

Its a cheap & easy job to do if you buy the bearings from an online supplier, rather than being ripped for Intense/Enduro ones.

X777

Chimp
Aug 17, 2007
Another vote from me, i'm really getting into it now, owned it for about 6 months & its getting better & better :)

The whole FRO thing is marketing gumph, if the frames really were weaker than the other offerings, Intense would be taking a big gamble in offering the same 2yr warranty they offer all other bikes.

Rides well, takes everything I can throw at it, & importantly to me, rides light. Only things i'm changing is to start cutting down the RideWide bars, as i'm noticing my hands creeping in on a run, maybe take them down 2cm, and to ditch the 823 tubless set up for 721's.

this is probably prettiest and best build socom I have ever seen... few things I would change are pedals, brakes, grips and stem - personal preference. apart from that it's perfect ... congatulations... :pirate2:

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
its not a weak bike. had one last summer. The rear is definalty flexy, even with a 150x12. I am a hack rider and it held up just fine to dumb crashes and bad lines picked by the rider. I dont like vpp tho, but thats not your question :)

ape

Chimp
Jan 15, 2007
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I was wondering if the VPP does require a lot of maintenance?
I have almost a year(albeit with a 3mos layoff 'cause of snow) on mine riding 4+ days a week and I'm still on my original bearings.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
sorry to crash this thread also, but has anyone heard anything about the rumors of the new V8 from santa cruz to replace the vpp free? I guess it will look something like the socom but with more curves to it, anyone know anything?

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
The last time I heard anything about the V8 was months ago, AFAIK SC hasn't actually said anything. I emailed them a while back and they wouldn't tell me anything.
Also, its VP Free not VPP Free :D

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Ok. Have you had any problems with the linkage or anything?

How does the VPP ride compared to a single pivot bike?
I rode a Foes FLY before my Socom. My Foes had a floating brake, so I really cant compare the braking of the two.... both brake very well. The Socom pedals so well its unbelievable. I can now pedal in the rough sections where I could not on the Foes. The Socom corners like its on rails. It jumps really well also. I got a small.

I had to replace the bearings after only a couple rides. I was told that a couple of the pivots had been over tightened and that was why the bearings were ruined. Intense would NOT warranty them. Bearings are cheap, so I have a few sets now just in case. I run the 150mm thru axle and there is some flex, but I dont notice it when going DH or pedaling. The only time I really notice it is when Im riding uphill... I run a front derailer. ;) Not many resorts around here. You have to earn your vertical. I went with a size smaller than was reccommended because I like a short bike and short toptube. We ride North Shore type trails a lot and I like a small bike for skinnies and tight turns.

good god!!!! :shocked: :drool:

what is the weight on that beast? i think i'm in love....
As pictured above it is high 37 lbs. I could get it down a little more but I really dont want to.

Last edited: