Quantcast

Socom sizing - opinions from owners.

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Hi there - please dont post "do a search replies to this" - just after opinions.

Im 5'8 - have longer legs than torso and ride techy tracks in central england / wales (rooty and fairly slow, no fort william) I want something easy to throw around but not to feel skitterish or cramped.

Im due to order a socom soon but im unsure what size to go for - small or medium?

- The standover wont be an issue as both sizes have lots of room so its mainly length - small: 22' tt, medium 23' tt.

Any opinions of actual owners or those who have ridden a socom will be appreciated - i wont get chance to test ride so i have to go off the figures and others opinions on this.

Also, could someone please measure a small and medium from center of bb to the top of the headtube for me? - would be a big help

Thanks, Rick

Last edited:

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
i'd go with a medium socom frame for your size. intense's site has your height listed as a medium frame . i ride a large and i'm 5'11 fits me perfect.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
I'm 6'1" and I ride a medium Socom, but then I like the bike a little small under me.

For comparison, my girlfriend is the same height as you, and has been on a small M3, and it's way too small for her. She is going to take my Socom frame off me, because it fits her much better. Not anywhere near as cramped up top.

I would be going for a medium if I were you. The small is 'really' small.

DaveyIntense

Chimp
Jul 25, 2008
Berwick
get a small i'm the same size and i have a small and it feels big to me defo go small mate trust me.

and there is only 1inch difeerence on that measurment

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
i am exactly the flip of you. Short legs, long torso. 5'8

Had a small socom last year. Went to a med sunday this year. I couldnt be happier.

mullarks

Chimp
May 9, 2008
I am 5'10" and ride a med., feels close to perfect for me. If anything a hair too big. I would probably go small are 5'8" is you are planning on using it as a race bike.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Im 5'9" and ride a small and love it. Its the same size as both of my last 2 MED Foes Flys. I do like a smaller bike though.

Last edited:

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Thanks for all of the replies, not much consensus here, i was hoping everybody would say one size or the other :huh:

Im still in two minds now - can anybody measure their bottom bracket center to the top of the head-tube for me on their small - that make my mind up for me more than anything.

Rick

PDS RX

Monkey
Sep 11, 2007
Richmond VA
I'm 5'11" and ride a med, but it really comes down to if you like a small feeling bike, but since the socom is so light and you have long legs I would get a med

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Thanks for all of the replies, not much consensus here, i was hoping everybody would say one size or the other :huh:

Im still in two minds now - can anybody measure their bottom bracket center to the top of the head-tube for me on their small - that make my mind up for me more than anything.

Rick
28" on a small

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
If its 28 on a small then i think ill roll with the small.

My lapierre is 28" and feels spot on in the length department - it just has a massive standover height and is tall - which for my height isnt ideal.

Thanks for measuring that and the opinions given.

Rick

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I would go with a small if I was in your position. I have a size med and am about 5'9, there have been a few times when I have wished for a lower standover height and something a little shorter in the top tube area. Great bikes but unless you have unusually long legs you are probably not going to be happy with the lack of standover height on the medium. You also (based on your description of riding) won't miss that extra inch or so in the top tube unless you are doing some insanely fast wide open wc style courses. I would say that for tight tech stuff a smaller bike is an advantage. Hope this helps.:cheers:

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Thanks for the replies, im getting a great deal on a frame already im afraid but if i wasnt i would be all over yours, good luck with the sale.

If anybody has the measurement from bb to top of head tube for medium it would be appreciated - im still not 100% especially as i would ride a medium sunday if i was to get one, and that has a longer tt than a medium socom.

Last edited:

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Dont suppose anybody managed to get me the measurement of the down tube on a medium socom did they? - from center of bottom bracket to top of headtube if anyone would be so kind. :help:

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
I'd go with the small. Above there was a comparison to the M3 though in different sizes, the M3 cockpit is totally different from the Socom. I had a small M3 and loved the feel (I'm 5'5"). I now have a small Socom and its feels a ton longer than the M3 which is ok for small courses. The small Socom actually feels more like a medium M3...IMO.