Quantcast

Socom

f0ggy

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
Ca
Yea did a search, got nothing. Anyways after doing some downhill and fr on my 4x bike, it got me to thinking It might be time to save up for a new bike, my friends have vpfrees and nomads and love em, the vpfree feels like a couch, but the socom looks hella sick too, I cant find any info on it, just mainly pictures on mtbr. How much travel does it have. Im looking for a downhill race bike, that can take all the freeriding and downhill abuse that I can dish out. Im not smooth, and dont have any cash right now, but this is gonna be a bike imma save up for and hopefully get this summer. Any help will be appreciated.

siege

Monkey
Sep 30, 2006
kapolei, Hi
yeah you're probably much better off with a vp free. 1) Cheaper than a socom 2) Can take hella abuse 3) unless you are planning on winning expert it is fine as a downhill race bike.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Did you look at intense's site? They have all the specs and geo there. 8in travel, 8.5lbs, ect...

f0ggy

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
Ca
yea sorry, had trouble finding it earlier, how much is it....im afraid to ask....

ah, now that I think about it, ill prolly be better off witha vpfree just wanted a lil slacker headtube angle and lower bottom bracket

f0ggy

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
Ca
I would wanna put a 888 or 40 or sumtin on this bike, also thinking dirtbag but will prolly end up going with vpfree

ScottJensen

Chimp
Oct 9, 2006
if you want somehting thats more dh oriented,with lower bb, dont look at the free's. i ride a bullit now, and its an awesome fr/dh bike, with more emphasis on the fr. the dh'in isnt to great. rode a vp on a few of the same trails and it was better, but not a huge diff in handeling etc. so ive ruled out the free and am looking for somethng with lower bb. maybe used turner or older intense.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
OK the socom is race only kinda bike, don't say words like "freeride" or "huck" around it, it'll tattle on you to Jeff Steber...

On a more serious note, look at the Intense Uzzi VPX. It has the same geometry as the Socom with enough beef for hucks. VPX's are very sweet.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Socom

2495 w/dhx or 2945 w/revox

Uzzi

2185 w/dhx

I would get a Uzzi over a Socom if I was going to all around use the bike, pure race Socom for sure.

.thumper.

Chimp
Dec 17, 2005
It sounds like you are thinking away from the Socom now, but one other point: you state that you are not smooth. This is bike is designed for DH race use, but I would suggest it only to smoother riders. It uses the absolute bare minimum material to make it as light as possible. It is not good for someone who is looking to huck it and/or is not a smooth rider. Just my $0.02.

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
Just to throw this in. A common misconception is that the bike is like a "ride at your own risk" deal. The frame carries the same 2-year warranty as the rest of the line. They are expensive, they are SUPER sick, and you probably weight like under 135lbs so I wouldn't worry!

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
There are a lot of sweet dh oriented FR frames out there that are much cheaper, will last longer, and will ride just as well for just about anyone. Intense makes a great frame, but they are costly and are NOT known for their durability. Intense has a lot of positive characteristics, but it sounds like you are young, dont have much money and hard on equipment, so it's not for you.

Instead I would suggest a demo8, Sunday, Turner, etc. They are durable enough to where you should feel comfortable buying used, they have solid geometry, and they are easy to find used for a good price.

The VPfree is a good trail bike, but it sucks at speed. I have ridden VPfrees setup as good as they can be, but they come nowhere close to the bikes I listed and more in terms of handling at speed, jumping ability, etc . I feel comfortable jumping my Sunday on steep DJ lips, DH race runs, whatever it is. Very good bike, especially if you're going fast. The same was true for my Demo.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I second the Demo idea. I ride the 9, and it stands up to everything including Tubby hitting it with his car. I raced mine last season, did the job pretty damn well, and free rode it down a 14 mile huck fest in NV. Not the best for uphill pedaling, but damn if it didn't roll over everything.

f0ggy

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
Ca
Just to throw this in. A common misconception is that the bike is like a "ride at your own risk" deal. The frame carries the same 2-year warranty as the rest of the line. They are expensive, they are SUPER sick, and you probably weight like under 135lbs so I wouldn't worry!
i weigh 135...so im not really worried about breaking anything yet, im still growing and starting to build muscle mass...

f0ggy

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
Ca
I dont think imma go with a sunday because it looks like a straight race bike and if I would do any drops with it the bottom bracket would hit, havent ridden a demo yet but heard awesome things about them, only problem is that I live a couple hours from a good dh only trail that doesnt require tons of pedaling to get to. Eric mabe if we chill someday I could try out ur highline cuz that looks like a sweeet bike too. Kinda got the same feel as a vpfree it looks like. I want to start racing more, ive got a 4x bike for sea otter but would like to mabe try out a fontucky race. Dh just doesnt feel the same ona 4in travel bike.