Quantcast

Solar Panel Leasing

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
Since it's a new year and teh rebates are hot off the press, I spent a portion of the afternoon speaking with a couple different installers here in town with an eye towards a system purchase. While the local utility company continues to vex me, I've decided to see what can be done in spite of them. So far pretty impressed by the people I've spoken too, but these are of course the sales people who will blow so much sunshine up your ass one could provide their own solar power. Currently awaiting a couple of initial estimates/info packets to see how bad it's going to hit the pocket book. If I'm not immediately put off, I'll see how the process goes with the onsite stuff.

We are ready for our project, probably this summer if all goes as planned.
Some tips FWIW:
-Do yourself a favor and find solar installers that don't sell any of the Lease/PPA style systems. Work with installers that provide systems for ownership only.
-Any installer salesperson that comes to your home, and does not provide an on site survey up front to design the system and provide an accurate quote (some say they can get the "data" using google earth)...run. run very fast. One of the companies I worked with to get pricing even provided me with a report showing the surrounding tree growth in my yard, noting specifically that one tree would affect annual production during up to 2 winter months; valuable information, and I will likely go with them.
-If you dont have all of the up-front cash to do project, there are a few financing options, that still leave the tax & rebate benefits with you. Admirals Bank is a good option; Dont forget to add in SRECs, etc when you do the numbers. You may even find something that gets you really close to net-zero cashflow to own.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
So far I've weeded it down to two different installers:
On average your use 33.75kwh/day. The rough estimate for your system will be approximately $34,000. You will be eligible for a CSU rebate estimated at $7,374. The CSU rebate can be subtracted from your out of pocket expense if transferred to First light Solar bringing your initial cost down to $26,626. You will also receive a 30% federal tax credit. The tax credit can be filed three different ways, depending on how you and your accountant decide to file will determine the amount of the tax credit. Typically customers will receive 30% of the gross cost of the system which is $10,200 in your case. This will bring your net cost down to $16,426.

The tax credit bill is up for renewal in 2016 and it is likely that it will not be extended. So when you speak to your accountant be sure to ask if you will use all of the tax credits by the end of the 2016.

If these figures are appealing to you the next step will be schedule a free evaluation so that I can determine the efficiency of the system and discover any factors that may affect the cost of install.
and
My calculations using 33.10kWh per day amount to an approximately 6.7kW (DC) system and it includes (24) SolarWorld 280W modules, (1) SolarEdge 6000 inverter, all electrical work, disconnects, conduit, wiring, meter socket, module racking, AC electrician, rodent guard, labor, all permits, shipping, and applicable sales tax.

Approximate Gross System Cost $26,000-$28,000

Approximate 30% Federal Tax Credit - $8,100

Approximate CSU Rebate - $5,900

Approximate Net System Cost $12,600-$14,600

·Includes full 25 year warranty on the inverter and optimizers plus FREE MONITORING of the solar modules.

If this ballpark sounds good we can move forward with the Site Visit and Estimate (usually scheduled 1-2 weeks out). During that Site Visit we will measure your roof slope, azimuth, dimensions, look at your electric service panel, take pictures, etc. Then we prepare a formal estimate for your review and approval.
I have company #2 scheduled for the onsite on the 20th, still working on company #1. They tried to come by earlier this week but we got a ton of snow and they were understandably reluctant to spend time on my roof. Since it looks like the 30% federal tax credit will expire in 2016, if I decide to buy, what stops me from taking max exemptions on my W2 for the remainder of the year and using the tax credit to cover my tax bill for 2015? Anyone?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So far I've weeded it down to two different installers:

and

I have company #2 scheduled for the onsite on the 20th, still working on company #1. They tried to come by earlier this week but we got a ton of snow and they were understandably reluctant to spend time on my roof. Since it looks like the 30% federal tax credit will expire in 2016, if I decide to buy, what stops me from taking max exemptions on my W2 for the remainder of the year and using the tax credit to cover my tax bill for 2015? Anyone?
Any idea what the efficiency is from the panel through the inverted are? Things can get tricky in the AC world. If there aren't things like power correction factors you can output power that isn't useable, (voltage and current out of phase). I'm no electrical engineer but that would be something I would check into.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Any idea what the efficiency is from the panel through the inverted are? Things can get tricky in the AC world. If there aren't things like power correction factors you can output power that isn't useable, (voltage and current out of phase). I'm no electrical engineer but that would be something I would check into.
Are you referring to "Net metering"? Basically where the meter spins backwards? My understanding is that the way it works with my local utility, is any system I have installed cannot be larger that 120% of my last 12 month average. You get "credit" for what ever you put back into the system to be used if you ever have to draw from the grid, but it's not like CSU is going to cut me a check every month. It's my "plan" to go with that 120%, then in a year or two, purchase an electric vehicle of some sort. Hopefully what we would produce with the solar panels would offset what ever additional use having an electric car would would cause.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
'squeeb, both quotes sound in the right ballpark. I note somewhat warily that $8,100 is neither 30% of $26k or $28k re the second quote. Credit perhaps is off gross price ex state sales tax?

Westy is referring to the efficiency of the inverters, I believe, rather than net metering.

About the 120% upsizing limit: if you say you're going to get an EV I think they let you tack on another 20 or 25%, if that's something that appeals to you.

Finally, what would limit you is if your overall tax burden is less than the credit amount, as I believe it's not a refundable credit or one that carries forward to future years if not taken entirely. Whether you withhold nothing via W-4 trickery or withhold the normal amount and get the credit as a lump sum at tax time doesn't change this math.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
However, at least in our commercial projection, the depreciation credit for the system could be spanned over more than one year. There was some unique deprecation schedule you could use. I'm not aware of how that works for solar residential systems.

BTW, we exported 320,251 kWh to the grid in 2014.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
'squeeb, both quotes sound in the right ballpark. I note somewhat warily that $8,100 is neither 30% of $26k or $28k re the second quote. Credit perhaps is off gross price ex state sales tax?

Westy is referring to the efficiency of the inverters, I believe, rather than net metering.

About the 120% upsizing limit: if you say you're going to get an EV I think they let you tack on another 20 or 25%, if that's something that appeals to you.

Finally, what would limit you is if your overall tax burden is less than the credit amount, as I believe it's not a refundable credit or one that carries forward to future years if not taken entirely. Whether you withhold nothing via W-4 trickery or withhold the normal amount and get the credit as a lump sum at tax time doesn't change this math.
$8100 is 30% of $27000. Since the quote an approximate range, I assume they are using 27000 to split the difference.

I asked about the EV and the 120% thing. I was told that that was the best I could expect from CSU. I suppose if we're going to get serious about that I better start leaving some lights on during the day.

I did do some further reading regarding the tax credit. It does carry through 2016, but probably not longer. Round approximate figures lead me to believe we'd get our entire tax burden back next year, with probably pretty close to $700 credit for the following year as well.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Are you referring to "Net metering"? Basically where the meter spins backwards? My understanding is that the way it works with my local utility, is any system I have installed cannot be larger that 120% of my last 12 month average. You get "credit" for what ever you put back into the system to be used if you ever have to draw from the grid, but it's not like CSU is going to cut me a check every month. It's my "plan" to go with that 120%, then in a year or two, purchase an electric vehicle of some sort. Hopefully what we would produce with the solar panels would offset what ever additional use having an electric car would would cause.
this is assuming you stay connected to the grid, yes?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
this is assuming you stay connected to the grid, yes?
Without storage you have to stay connected to the grid. If you have less than adequate storage you still could have enough for emergency use with a disconnect setup rather than an overpriced natural gas generator setup you'll probably never need...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Without storage you have to stay connected to the grid. If you have less than adequate storage you still could have enough for emergency use with a disconnect setup rather than an overpriced natural gas generator setup you'll probably never need...
what kind of asshat would go solar and just get panels with no storage?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Off grid systems are significantly more expensive. Batteries are not cheap.
Plus net metering. Though here they've ripped off people. Switched from allowing you to bank your credit and get retail rates to end of the year clearance at wholesale electricity price. Robbing us...

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Company #1 was out yesterday for site inspection. It seems that our home only has enough roof space for panels to provide 58% of our average use, and not the 120% I had hoped for. I could probably get it by putting panels on our garage, which is detached, but I'd have to talk my neighbor into cutting down two pretty large trees. Doug and Kim are good neighbors, but that seems like a stretch. Waiting to hear back from Company #1 with more figures now. Pretty disappointed by what I learned yesterday.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
It's not a quest for (energy-)ideological purity. 58% is infinitely more than 0%... I'd do it.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
He could also downsize his energy needs by 40% or so. Just have the wife wash the clothes by hand.
On a serious note, handwashing and line drying clothes helps. Most people don't realize that automatic dishwasher actually saves water and energy over handwashing dishes etc:

Thought you were efficient? A new ENERGY STAR qualified dishwasher uses less than half as much energy as washing dishes by hand and saves nearly 5,000 gallons of water a year!
https://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=dishwash.pr_handwash_dishwash

Pesqueeb can help with the laundry too:

http://www.homelessdave.com/hdwashingman.htm

Last edited: