Quantcast

Solid beginer BMX bike?

Crazy Legs

Chimp
Jul 7, 2004
Greenville
I have been riding MTB for the past 8 years. I have riden at Moab, Snowshoe, Diablo and even gone to Whistler. I recently startd going to a local skate park using my DJ hardtail. I would like to get a BMX bike for around $400 and was looking for some ideas as to what would suit someone who can ride but is still a starter bike.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
kink and fit are 2 companies that I would definitely look at for completes at that price point. You'll get a very good, very solid build.

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
Stay away from anything that isn't a full cromo frame. Hi tensile is heavy and flexy. Be wary of completes that say 100% cromo mainframe.

Minden

Chimp
Jun 1, 2008
Does anybody have an opinion on the Stolen complete bikes?

The Heist looks decent and its 395 at Dans, I'm thinking about getting the Score myself.

Alexs11

Chimp
Jan 27, 2009
DO NOT F URESELF OVER WITH KINK OR EASTERN/STOLEN/SUBROSA. In fact do not buy a complete unless its completely necessary.. Kink frames get tweaked and the bearings and headsets are awful awful. Part up your bike or buy a used bike... Companys that are great++++ odyssey sunday s&m solid diatech snafu volume united and macneil.. All of the company's and quality.. The three i listed make there bikes waaaaay to light and Put holes in the seattube???? Unless you weigh 100 pounds go ahead and make a solid bike....
If you must buy a complete the best you can get is probably a we the people... I had 1 for 4 months before i had to replace bearings and chainwheel. Mirraco has some nice completes too though

cencalballer

Chimp
Feb 22, 2007
DO NOT F URESELF OVER WITH KINK OR EASTERN/STOLEN/SUBROSA. In fact do not buy a complete unless its completely necessary.. Kink frames get tweaked and the bearings and headsets are awful awful. Part up your bike or buy a used bike... Companys that are great++++ odyssey sunday s&m solid diatech snafu volume united and macneil.. All of the company's and quality.. The three i listed make there bikes waaaaay to light and Put holes in the seattube???? Unless you weigh 100 pounds go ahead and make a solid bike....
If you must buy a complete the best you can get is probably a we the people... I had 1 for 4 months before i had to replace bearings and chainwheel. Mirraco has some nice completes too though
dont listen to this although yes it is better to build if your just starting out there is no point to spending a grand or around it. buy a complete replace as things break eventually you will ahve a custom built bike that you had way more fun with.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
uhhhhhhhhhh what? I've had a Kink Apex complete for almost a year now. The only problem with it I've had is the bearing in the cassette driver crapped out on me (edit: this was after I had the bike for 8 months), but that's more of an inherent design issue with 9T cassette drivers using roller bearings instead of needle bearings. FWIW I swapped out the stem, pedals, and sprocket out of the box. The headset came loose ONCE the entire time I've owned it, and that was because I didn't tighten the stem enough when I installed it (Odyssey Elementary, so the whole 1 bolt thing was a little new to me). My only other complaint is that the stock tires are kinda heavy, and wear out kinda quick. I'm by no means a smooth rider, and I weigh 195lbs.

I do agree that it's better to build up a frame with your own mix of parts, but not everyone can afford to do that. It's also hard to justify the money if you're new to the sport and are unsure if you're gonna stick with it.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
also, FWIW odyssey's crank spindles are NOT compatible with tree splined sprockets. The manufacturing process odyssey uses on them doesn't have tight enough tolerances to interface with the mating splines on tree's sprocket. Other than that I've had great experiences with Odyssey products.