Quantcast

Solid bike on the cheap?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Before I moved I was tempted by a Redline Conquest Sport at a local shop for about $750. I was short, so I passed. Now I have a little to spend on something to commute with and I came across a Motobecane Fantom Cross Outlaw. Same basic setup as the Redline only with discs (the Redline had disc mounts on the frame/fork).

I have no interest in racing but I want the discs. The Outlaw is a hair under $900 shipped. Anything else I should look at for $900 or less in a CX setup? Being the cheap bastard I am, that's about my limit, less is best.

I can't seem to find a damn thing used in a 58/60 CX. I feel like I'm too hard on a bike to go full road, I destroyed the wheels on my last road bike in a month. I would love a Kona Jake.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Unless you're dealing with snow or trailriding, you'll be much happier on a dedicated road bike - maybe with more relaxed touring geo. Just my experience, as I once rode a Conquest as a roadie (which I happened to snap in 4 months of messenger work) and it sucked ass.

In regards to wheels, maybe you should look into something with an aero profile rim for added strength...I've had good luck with Easton/Velomax offerings that don't cost much, and I brutalize bike components.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'm far from a roadie and didn't think the Conquest was uncomfortable position wise. Not saying I will trailride, but I like it as an option. Curb hopping is also something I can't help myself with.

I might just suck it up and get a light XC and man up on the commute. I hate bike shopping.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Geo, curb hopping, wheel reqs = CX bike with the larger tire clearance.

Ebay has firesales on the Cannondale CX bikes with the headshocks and disk brakes, as the UCI banned them, so all the am's are selling theirs off.

A red 58 went for dirt cheap a bit ago.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That does look damn good, but I just can't justify $1000. Hell, I'm having a hard time justifying $800. I'm a cheap bastard.

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
That does look damn good, but I just can't justify $1000. Hell, I'm having a hard time justifying $800. I'm a cheap bastard.
you and me both buddy...i'm building up my road bike with 250 bucks!

though if i were you, i'd do an extra day's work/mow lawns/whore myself out to 2 fat chicks/whatever to pick up that additional 200 bucks

oh man, you just missed a 20% off coupon by a day too...

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have a bead on a used one that might pan out this weekend. Thanks for the feedback, though. Input is always appreciated.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I would hunt for a Lemond Propad. Nice bike and it has discs

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
After all was said and done, I got a 61cm Motobecane Fantom CX in yellow. Should be here on Monday. For $500 shipped, I couldn't pass it up.

Not the pimpest specs, but should make for a nice starting point.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
While I am a fan of yellow, it was the only color they had left in the '09 61cm. I could possibly fit a 58cm, but I wanted to be safe and 60cm wasn't an option

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Crapy cell phone pic.

This thing is nice for $500. The shifting needs to break in a bit, but put about 5 miles on it tonight after puting it together. Much nicer than I was anticipating, but maybe my standards were lo to start.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
This thing is nice for $500. The shifting needs to break in a bit, but put about 5 miles on it tonight after puting it together. Much nicer than I was anticipating, but maybe my standards were lo to start.
Keep your expectations low and you'll rarely be disappointed! BTW, nice bike and the price was right. Ashland area has a small cyclocross series if you ever want to take it out for a race. I love my cross bikes because they can take a beating and go from pavement to gravel to trails without issue.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I think it's as least as nice, if not nicer than the Redline Conquest Sport that was $800. I certainly didn't find much on the used market that was in my size. I haven't ridden a roadish bike in 3 years and that was only for a few months until I hashed the wheels. It had been 20 years before that.

I'm not accustomed to going that fast on the street :D

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Looks like a nice buy. Bikesdirect has a sweet looking Kestrel for $1700...which the same money I was thinking about spending building up a carbon ebay frame with rival and neuvation wheels. I should get the Kestrel instead.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I figured for $500, if I ride it half as much as I want to, it's worth it. With any luck, I will commute on it a couple days a week. It's a hell of a lot easier to commute on than my 42lbs VP Free was.