Quantcast

Some after school berm shreddage (WARNING! Pinkbike no-helmetedness!)

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
cutties dont hurt anything from my understanding
Sliding tires displace dirt. This is not good for your trails. You might displace less with a "cuttie" only because your tire is sliding less, but less bad does not equal good. [Not implying that I can ride fast without occasionally displacing some dirt, just encouraging awareness. Got to be nice to your trails.]

And helmets? You don't need one until you need one. Plus neurological damage is like so not hot right now. This is one place where even though the probability of catastrophe is not necessarily enormous, the consequences are unacceptably high.

Sliding tires displace dirt. This is not good for your trails. You might displace less with a "cuttie" only because your tire is sliding less, but less bad does not equal good. [Not implying that I can ride fast without occasionally displacing some dirt, just encouraging awareness. Got to be nice to your trails.]

And helmets? You don't need one until you need one. Plus neurological damage is like so not hot right now. This is one place where even though the probability of catastrophe is not necessarily enormous, the consequences are unacceptably high.

sure its not good for our trails, but we maintain them more than often, and after every ride, we put dirt back in its place. and on top of it all, we build our trails to be 100% rideable even after months of abuse... the trick is to build berms down into the ground instead of above it... that keeps the soil much more intact. and in the flat corners, we ride them inside-to-outside because then the rut that will develop will be on line and the dirt displaced will gather instead of spread...
when we ride other peoples trails, we do more than our best to keep the trail intact.

but thats nearly impossible down here because the dirt is sincerely the crappiest on the planet! i've ridden in moist, black dirt before, and i never took my feet off the pedals because there was this new found phenomenon underneath my tires... REAL F-ING DIRT!!! it was amazing.
trust me, i know how this stuff develops... i can tell exactly what someone did, just by looking at how the trail was affected.

i dont ride a trail with intentions to just throw dirt, thats stupid in my opinion... i ride a trail and do my best to flow and keep it on the rubber!
when my buddies and i go out to do pics like these, we ONLY ride our own trails, because we, as the builders, will suffer the consequences of repeated slamming into a silty berm.
dont try to nail me on trail respect, i know what i'm doing... i would be a downright hypocrite if i disrespected someone elses trail and didnt fix my damages.

and as for the helmet... thanks for reading through the replies in order to gain an understanding of the situation before responding...:rolleyes:

thats gotta be a sick camera. i need a sick camera
actually its a pos polaroid digital camera...
for fast action shots, we just focus it on the brightest spot in the dirt so that the camera senses that it has to use a high shutter speed and ISO and locks into that setting while the shutter release is partially depressed... then we just move it over to the angle and take the shot...

simple fix for an otherwise slow, not so amazing camera...

i'm looking to save up some money for an Olympus SP 570-UZ
10 megapixel
20x optical zoom
wide angle lens
full manual controls
pre-capture
13fps in 5 megapixel mode(1.2 in 10mp)

that camera looks sooo bada$$ and its only $350!

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Thank you for doing your part in making this website a pedantic whiny bltch parade :)

I'm sure someone else cares about all your important points. Your mom maybe.

i almost wet my pants. 4 pages and this is the only useful thing anyone has said :plthumbsdown:

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
sure its not good for our trails, but we maintain them more than often, and after every ride, we put dirt back in its place. and on top of it all, we build our trails to be 100% rideable even after months of abuse... the trick is to build berms down into the ground instead of above it... that keeps the soil much more intact. and in the flat corners, we ride them inside-to-outside because then the rut that will develop will be on line and the dirt displaced will gather instead of spread...
when we ride other peoples trails, we do more than our best to keep the trail intact.

but thats nearly impossible down here because the dirt is sincerely the crappiest on the planet! i've ridden in moist, black dirt before, and i never took my feet off the pedals because there was this new found phenomenon underneath my tires... REAL F-ING DIRT!!! it was amazing.
trust me, i know how this stuff develops... i can tell exactly what someone did, just by looking at how the trail was affected.

i dont ride a trail with intentions to just throw dirt, thats stupid in my opinion... i ride a trail and do my best to flow and keep it on the rubber!
when my buddies and i go out to do pics like these, we ONLY ride our own trails, because we, as the builders, will suffer the consequences of repeated slamming into a silty berm.
dont try to nail me on trail respect, i know what i'm doing... i would be a downright hypocrite if i disrespected someone elses trail and didnt fix my damages.

and as for the helmet... thanks for reading through the replies in order to gain an understanding of the situation before responding...:rolleyes:
Hey, I was trying to be fair while correcting a totally, blatantly wrong statement. Basically, I'd rather not have mis-information spread. I've no idea why you decided to take a pretty objective argument as a personal attack (maybe flustered/annoyed by some of the earlier negative/skeptical responses?), but it was totally unnecessary. I made absolutely no comment about you or your skills, nor did I "nail you on trail respect." You were wrong in your assumption that "cutties" are totally fine. I encourage conscientious riding. That is all. Seriously.

As for the helmet, I did, in fact, read the entire thread before responding. And I still believe(d) that it's not OK to blow off helmets just once in a while doing stuff. Period. The fact that you didn't happen to have one on you, you normally wear one, and/or you were only doing things you believe minimize the possibility of sh-t hitting the fan doesn't negate the fact that the potential consequences are so great as to be untenable. Don't think you have some kind of entitlement to get [upset] when you post up helmetless pics and people reply with the obvious advice, even if you already have acknowledged it. You know it's going to happen, so chill out. If in the history of "wear a helmet" post, just one kid is convinced to wear a freakin helmet, and it saves his brain, it's all got to be worth it.

Last edited:
so now in-depth responses are defensive to an extreme...
i should just give up:biggrin:

i didnt mean to come off defensive on a personal level, i went into explanations on different points to be sure, in my eyes, that i hopefully covered every aspect of rider-caused erosion that you might have been thinking about when you posted your reply...
i said "dont try to nail me on trail respect" as a simple statement... not as a defense against a personal attack...

as we all know, it is obviously impossible to tell another persons emotions through text... thats just the way it is...
i guess i have a high intensity style of writing/typing? i use exclamation points alot, because usually i am excited about something... if i was pissed, i would be personally attacking the person who i felt was doing the same unto me... not explaining a subject matter in a way that i see as in-depth...

just trying to cover points in order to give any and everyone an understanding of the way i work...
no harm done, hopefully... i didnt take it that way

and again, as for the helmet:
well, its too late to do anything about that day now, so hopefully we can drop it and leave it alone... i put it in the title as a pinkbike joke, there was no other reasoning about it...
and either way, we have promised(online:biggrin: which makes it so insanely official:rolleyes:) that we will wear helmets from now on, and i hope each and every one of you can realize that we will and we are smart enough at the least to realize how stupid it was in the first place... but theres no going back, so leave it alone... i'm more than willing to...

how bout talking about riding, or maybe sharing tips amongst eachother to better ourselves?
yes, i see your point on cutties as a tip. i personally knew it before, but maybe someone reading this thread never realized the affects that they have on trails?

one thing thats bugging me... i havent figured out a sure fired, or even remotley sure fired way to come into a fast, off-camber corner without either slowing down dramatically or just sliding on through it...
any tips?
:cheers:

Last edited:

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
Wow, I hate when other people have fun too ;). They obviously weren't racing, or claiming they were, so how important is their exit speed? Not much...

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
On the fast of camber corner, lean your bike (while you are leaning downhill a bit) into the hill and weight your downhill foot so the side knobs to bite better.

Last edited: