Quantcast

some downhill protection help. .

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
Hey guys, ive been off the bike since october from a nasty wrist fracture, well two surgerys later, a metal plate and 8 screws, im finally healed up and am able to ride in about 1 1/2 weeks. anyways, while racing, and riding downhill i want to get a wrist brace, cost isnt really an issue, i want to stay prtotected, and be able to move freely, what im looking for isnt a wrist wrap, but an actual brace. anyone know of any good medical braces/downhill braces? Or does anyone use one on here?

thanks
Eren

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I used a brace bought from a pharmacy... basically stretchy neoprene with 2 metal brackets - one on your palm, one on the top - which is all tightened up with velcro closures. You will need to bend the palm metal plate a bit to form better around your handlebars.
I had broken my wrist and raced with my cast formed around my bars, but I would'nt recommend this to anyone. I didn't allow my break enough time to heal properly and now, 3 years later, I still have some problems with it.
Take care of it Eren, do you want to chance a problematic future just to get back on your bike a bit earlier?
Upon saying that, nice one. Get back on yer bike!

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
One time I jacked my wrist and taped it the proper way with the proper sort of tape (which isn't cheap, btw) and I was amazed how well it worked. I could have punched a brick wall all day.

I would ask the doctor or physical therapist, though.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Hey guys, ive been off the bike since october from a nasty wrist fracture, well two surgerys later, a metal plate and 8 screws, im finally healed up and am able to ride in about 1 1/2 weeks. anyways, while racing, and riding downhill i want to get a wrist brace, cost isnt really an issue, i want to stay prtotected, and be able to move freely, what im looking for isnt a wrist wrap, but an actual brace. anyone know of any good medical braces/downhill braces? Or does anyone use one on here?

thanks
Eren
CTI (Ossur now) makes an amazing custom wrist brace. Let me find the webpage for you.

edit: http://www.ossur.com/pages/2944

925hell

Chimp
Mar 20, 2006
SLC, UT
Transcend is right the Cti wrist is incredible, actually anything from Innovation Sports is top shelf. Just get a scrip they won't even talk to you with out one.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Transcend is right the Cti wrist is incredible, actually anything from Innovation Sports is top shelf. Just get a scrip they won't even talk to you with out one.
Actually they will! They now make OTS (off the shelf) models of both the knee brace and the wrist brace. Of course, having an RX usually means it will be heavily discounted, and also helps them get you exactly the right brace that you need.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
thanks man, and ouch 315 is steep, but should be worth it, rather put out the cash, then have a life long problem. At 17 dont wanna do anything that will mess up my wrist for life.

thanks a lot guys.