Quantcast

Some Downieville questions

Jul 7, 2004
I've been there once -- for one day as I was passing through on my way home to the G.W.N. It was in May so I think that might have been a bit early for bike season around there -- there didn't seem to be a whole lot going on and there was still snow at the higher elevations. Anyway, my question is, would this be a good destination to go for about 6 or 7 days? Are there enough trails? Is there enough to do in town?

Usually I go to Moab but I'm thinking a change would be fun. Any and all comments are appreciated.

Thanks.

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
Lots of xcountry trails in the area...but if you're looking to ride DH and/or freeride...then you'll get bored just riding Downieville for that many days...and it's kind of a rip off anyways...they charge ya 15 bucks per person to shuttle ya...and if there's only two of you then it goes up to $20...not so cool I think to make the patron pay extra for His lack of customers...

dsb1829

Chimp
Aug 25, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Downieville is good for a 3 day tour. The XC riding around there is epic, but for the mere mortal 1 day of 6-7000' vertical is enough. Then shuttle ride the next couple of days and hang out.

The town is casual and small. By around 10pm on a typical weekend the place is a ghost town.

I have been going up there for the last couple of years. We usually get a group of about 8-10 of us and rent out a cabin at about $250/night. We have been going up twice a year and are likely to continue since it is a fun place to relax for a few days.

Don't overlook the other activities like camping, hiking, fishing, and some great swimming holes on the downie and yuba rivers. If you are into activities other than riding I could recommend a longer stay.

Jul 7, 2004
Actually, I would be going for XC. I get enough downhill where I live that I wouldn't drag that 45lb. bike around with me when I go on vacation.

Are there quite a few motels or B&B's? Or is the cabin thing the way to do it? I doubt I'd be able to round up more then two or maybe four more friends to make the trip but if renting a cabin were the only way then maybe it would be worth trying.

One last question, when do they consider the season to have started? I mentioned in my first post that it seemed like the place was pretty dead when I was last there and there was still snow at higher elevations (around May 10th a few years ago).

Thanks.

dsb1829 said:
Downieville is good for a 3 day tour. The XC riding around there is epic, but for the mere mortal 1 day of 6-7000' vertical is enough. Then shuttle ride the next couple of days and hang out.

The town is casual and small. By around 10pm on a typical weekend the place is a ghost town.

I have been going up there for the last couple of years. We usually get a group of about 8-10 of us and rent out a cabin at about $250/night. We have been going up twice a year and are likely to continue since it is a fun place to relax for a few days.

Don't overlook the other activities like camping, hiking, fishing, and some great swimming holes on the downie and yuba rivers. If you are into activities other than riding I could recommend a longer stay.

JLP

Chimp
Mar 26, 2003
Fremont, Ca
Are there quite a few motels or B&B's? Or is the cabin thing the way to do it? I doubt I'd be able to round up more then two or maybe four more friends to make the trip but if renting a cabin were the only way then maybe it would be worth trying. One last question said:
http://www.yubaexpeditions.com/downieville/dvframe.html

check out the link. yuba exped. is a cool shop with cool bunch of guys. look under the camping and accomodations section. there are plenty of motels in town.

there is no offical start date of the season. it all depends on the snow pack. the shop usually opens in mid May and closes when the snow starts (usually in late Oct/ early Nov)

dsb1829

Chimp
Aug 25, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Desiredusername said:
Actually, I would be going for XC. I get enough downhill where I live that I wouldn't drag that 45lb. bike around with me when I go on vacation.

Are there quite a few motels or B&B's? Or is the cabin thing the way to do it? I doubt I'd be able to round up more then two or maybe four more friends to make the trip but if renting a cabin were the only way then maybe it would be worth trying.

One last question, when do they consider the season to have started? I mentioned in my first post that it seemed like the place was pretty dead when I was last there and there was still snow at higher elevations (around May 10th a few years ago).

Thanks.
As stated, check the Yuba site for some more options. No, cabins aren't the only way to go. This time of year it would actually be fine to use one of the near by campgrounds to cut down on expense. There are also several places in Downieville and Sierra City that have accomodations for 1-2 people. We typically use the cabin as a motivation to get everyone in gear. Cabins are also nice since they have cooking, cleaning, bike repair areas, and decks to hang out on. FWIW some of the other lodging options also have such ammenities.

XC should be great right now through the end of the season. Bring plenty of food and more water than you think you will need as the rides tend to have healthy climbs. This spring we ended up on a ride that went over 8hr.

We were up on Memorial day weekend this year and things were just getting clear of snow at that point. So if I were to pick a prime season for mtb it would be June-October.