Quantcast

Some Firefox help?

spookymilk

Chimp
Jul 1, 2004
Salmon Arm, B.C.
Well, there's a billion Firefox threads it seems but I've got a few questions. I just started using it and I love it, way smoother than IE with the right skin.But I got a few problems I figure a few of you can help me with :)

1) I'm used to IE, and I'm used to pictures from remote links or attachments being opened in a new window but instead, it uses some Window program now :angry: How do I get it to open it in a new window?

2) I"m trying to get the pop-up blocker and for one, you need to create a "userChrome.css" file and enter in a code to get the pop-ups gone. Sounds easy, but I can't figure out how to create this "userChrome.css" file? Any help here?

3) I like the browser to be simple, so how do I get rid of the bookmark list underneath the URL display and how do I get rid of the Google search tool next to the URL?

Thanks for your help

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I can help you out with number 3:

Right click on some blank space in the toolbar, and select customize. Then you can drag the Search box down to the icons, and it'll remove itself from the navigation toolbar.

With number 1, what's your default .jpg viewer?

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
1) I'm used to IE, and I'm used to pictures from remote links or attachments being opened in a new window but instead, it uses some Window program now :angry: How do I get it to open it in a new window?

Right click and open in new tab or window

2) I"m trying to get the pop-up blocker and for one, you need to create a "userChrome.css" file and enter in a code to get the pop-ups gone. Sounds easy, but I can't figure out how to create this "userChrome.css" file? Any help here?

Get Adblock from http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/

3) I like the browser to be simple, so how do I get rid of the bookmark list underneath the URL display and how do I get rid of the Google search tool next to the URL?

Right Click & Uncheck Bookmark Toolbar. I don't think you can get rid of the search bar though.

SpaZwEll

Monkey
Sep 18, 2002
Emerald VIP
spookymilk said:
ok 1 and 3 are setlled, but with adblock loaded, I still get a stupid singles ad showing up here on ridemoney :mad: Any help there?

right click on top of the ad you don't want. you will see adblock image, click that and it will show you the link that it is pulling the ad from. you can get creative and narrow the url link down so you don't have to do it for each ad.

such as:
http://www.ridemonkey.com/phpadsnew2/adimage.php?filename=rmcrashing.gif&contenttype=gif

could be narrowed down to:
http://www.ridemonkey.com/phpadsnew2/adimage.php

with the end result, eliminating more ads from the same link and not each individual ad.

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
well id like to keep IE but there are some popups that always come up like its from software or something stored on my computer but i have run adaware and spybot and deleted everything from it and it still does it. i have some pop up blocker from the earthlink service i have but you can only really turn it on and off for the site you are looking at like while you are at the place popups can come up or they cant. and i always leave it on for like all the sites i look at so when i click links they dont just get shutdown. but i think one time while i had it on popup still came up.???????????????????????????????????? any other programs that specifically deal with finding stuff on your computer that cause popups.

bigginsis

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
standing at the edge of reason
i've been using mozilla for a while now and love firefox. the tabbed browsing rocks because when i am at work, i have one tab for goofing off and one for "serious stuff" so when i hear the boss coming, i just click over. the tabs are so small - better than having a bunch of windows open at the bottom.
http://www.mozilla.org

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
I still get a stupid singles ad showing up here on ridemoney Any help there?
After you install Adblock, you have to train it to block any images you don't want to see. It doesn't block them by default. The best way is to use the wildcard. ----> *

EG: "Http://www.ridemonkey.com/contests/*"
or "Http://www.ridemonkey.com/phpads2new2/*"

This isn't an endorsement to block ads on ridemonkey, but an easy to see example for anyone who might be interested. If you want a site to practice on, there's a certain weather site that will provide you with a bunch of ads to block.