Quantcast

Some (re)noob questions - Bighit shock i2i and headtube angle

bradical

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
G-Vegas SC
Well, after an entirely too long hiatus from riding, I'm trying to get the bike up and running again and do some riding. It's amazing how much has changed since ~2006, lots of sweet new technology and new rides out there!

Down to my questions. I have a beat up 2003 Bighit comp with the BigLink and romic twintube that I have recently discovered has a blown compression valve and feels like a pogo stick. I contacted a local shock overhaul company and they're unable to service the shock. They had a 9.0X2.75 DHX 5.0 that I could get a great deal on but I'm unsure about the clearance issues with shock and linkage/seat mast. I've searched and searched and never found a definitive answer, can anyone help?

Which brings me to my next question: If it will fit, is it a good idea? The Romic I had been running was also a 9.0X2.75, but the preferred shock size for the Bighit is 8.75X2.75. How much does that quarter inch affect my bb height and head angle? Granted I had always ridden that i2i but if I have to get a new one, might as well do it right.

Thanks!

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
Garageworks or Hippietech should be able to fix that right up for you. However...
The BigHit was designed for an 8.75x2.75 shock. You shouldn't have clearance problems, but the geometry will be horrible. BigHit already had a steep headangle and BB height (at least to today's standards). It will work, but I, and probably like much of everyone else here, recommend against it.