Quantcast

Something aint right.....

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
oh well what are you gonna do??

Highway repairers on my job just closed a deal to make 75k Base salary plus 20 - 30k More in O/t most of them get into the apprentice program after High School. In 5 years they can make that money.
Meanwhile I went to college have a masters Have a Nycet level 3 and Im only a tiny bit ahead of them.
Dont even let me get started on the PayLoad operators.. they make 90K plus the same O/T , there are 2 of them to cover the shift so they basically work a half of day!!!
and this is why america is losing to japan.

:busted:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Nothing that cool. Just take the shield pin of a XLR cable and add phantom power to a mic line. Then they have to figure out the problem.
I assume they quit bald after tearing their hair out.

auntesther

Monkey
Oct 15, 2001
Boston, MA
I dont know what utulity it is he works for, but I work for a public utility and the job apllication is this. You know someone ( uncle, neighbor, aunt etc) who knows someone in the union or HR. They tell some people who tell you and you call a number to schedule a test. You pass the test ( which is typically based on being able to navigate a map, basic problem solving and situational exercizes in a multiple choice format) and you get put on a list. Its beyond easy. ( I have taken all of the tests in my tenure)If it the union that helped you, they have all the tests so they will give you "sample tests" to review. You get a call and you get the job. No interview, no scrutinizing your education history nothing. I am not saying this is how this utility works, but thats how the one I work for operates.
I have seen people who I am shocked can find their way to work daily get jobs as "technicians" making obscene amounts of money and watch my mother who is a teacher with a masters degreen work her tail off for a fraction of what these people earn.
if you cant tell, I think the system pretty much sucks

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I dont know what utulity it is he works for, but I work for a public utility and the job apllication is this. You know someone ( uncle, neighbor, aunt etc) who knows someone in the union or HR. They tell some people who tell you and you call a number to schedule a test. You pass the test ( which is typically based on being able to navigate a map, basic problem solving and situational exercizes in a multiple choice format) and you get put on a list. Its beyond easy. ( I have taken all of the tests in my tenure)If it the union that helped you, they have all the tests so they will give you "sample tests" to review. You get a call and you get the job. No interview, no scrutinizing your education history nothing. I am not saying this is how this utility works, but thats how the one I work for operates.
I have seen people who I am shocked can find their way to work daily get jobs as "technicians" making obscene amounts of money and watch my mother who is a teacher with a masters degreen work her tail off for a fraction of what these people earn.
if you cant tell, I think the system pretty much sucks
*H8R plans to look up local utility jobs when he gets home...*

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
So my future brother in law just got a job with our local utility company as a "linemen". He's never done any type of construction work, has no formal education of any type. Dropped out of high school, was in prison for a few years, he's younger than me and he'll be making more than my wife who has 6yrs of schooling under her belt and he'll probably be making more than me soon as he has a few months in.
I don't know how the utility companies are by you but I deal with them on a daily basis here and they are a total waste. The guys who come to the site make more trouble than they're worth and do less work than the lowest paid day laborers for the general contractors.

On one hand I'm happy for him because he has turned his life around and he has a great family who he supports but on the other hand there is my wife who worked her a$$ off to put herself through 6yrs of college with excelent grades who is making less than this guy.

Sorry that was just my rant........

PS: Welcome to the real world

auntesther

Monkey
Oct 15, 2001
Boston, MA
*H8R plans to look up local utility jobs when he gets home...*
its great...stroll into work 30 mins late, 45 min breaks a few times a day, 90 min+ lunches, frequent naps, almost no accountability and the union ready to scream at the indignity of you being questioned on any indiscretions.
Good luck!

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I've worked in the elec utility industry for years and i can tell most of you have no idea what the fvck you are talking about...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
With a 2 year electrical engineering cert, you can start out here around 50k doing HVAC/controls/electrical work no problem.
One of my brothers has no schooling, but has attended several honeywell schools, makes 70k+
Another brother is a pipefitter, 4 year apprencticeship, makes 75k+ in Chicago.
Father is an HVAC crew foreman, makes more than both of them...got to 10th grade.

If you learn a serious constructionesque trade or skill, there is money to be made. That would be the real world.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
With a 2 year electrical engineering cert, you can start out here around 50k doing HVAC/controls/electrical work no problem.
One of my brothers has no schooling, but has attended several honeywell schools, makes 70k+
Another brother is a pipefitter, 4 year apprencticeship, makes 75k+ in Chicago.
Father is an HVAC crew foreman, makes more than both of them...got to 10th grade.

If you learn a serious constructionesque trade or skill, there is money to be made. That would be the real world.

it is quite common for technicians to make more than degreed enginerds.

This is almost always usually due to blue collar types getting paid for overtime etc...where white collar enginerds are salary.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
it is quite common for technicians to make more than degreed enginerds.

This is almost always usually due to blue collar types getting paid for overtime etc...where white collar enginerds are salary.
Well it's also alot of hard work, problem solving, etc. And depends where you are as well. I worked for the company my dad and brother do for a year, started out at $11 an hour, but worked on military bases the whole time making about $34 because of scale pay, prevailing wages. Or working for city contracts, same deal, but less money. Kind of "who you know" as well, cause as "Boss's kid" I ended up on the good scale jobs usually.
Running conduit, pulling cable, wiring up controls/panels = no fun and hot, but still easier than lineman work.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Well it's also alot of hard work, problem solving, etc. And depends where you are as well. I worked for the company my dad and brother do for a year, started out at $11 an hour, but worked on military bases the whole time making about $34 because of scale pay, prevailing wages. Or working for city contracts, same deal, but less money. Kind of "who you know" as well, cause as "Boss's kid" I ended up on the good scale jobs usually.
Running conduit, pulling cable, wiring up controls/panels = no fun and hot, but still easier than lineman work.
it is defiantly harder work to be a journeyman than an engineer.

No enginerds have to climb a 60' pole with a broken cross arm and sheered insulator pens in the middle of a major frozen rain storm using hooks....

nope. The enginerd just sits in a warm car and points the flood light at the pole.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
So my future brother in law just got a job with our local utility company as a "linemen"........

but on the other hand there is my wife who worked her a$$ off to put herself through 6yrs of college with excelent grades who is making less than this guy.........
You think that's bad, have you seen how much a Jawa's hourly wage works out to be? It's hard work in the hot sand, selling droids to cheapskate moisture vaporator farmers, not to mention the bribe money you have to pay to Stormtroopers.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
You think that's bad, have you seen how much a Jawa's hourly wage works out to be? It's hard work in the hot sand, selling droids to cheapskate moisture vaporator farmers, not to mention the bribe money you have to pay to Stormtroopers.
post of the new year.