Quantcast

something evil this way cometh in 2010

banj

Monkey
Apr 3, 2002
Ottawa, Ontario
The bike looks good. I think they have there numbers messed up though. How do you go from a 68 degree head angle with 13" bb to a 66.5 degree head angle and 13.25" bb? Changing the head angle by 1.5 degrees should drop the bb almost 3/4".

Last edited:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
You got to pay the toll troll if you want to get into that boy's hole....

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
seriously, i dont like it. In no way does it appeal to me, the asthetics are aweful in my opinion, there are lots of nice 140mm bikes out there, i think the only thing this one has going for it is the evil name.

let the hate shots begin.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
no hate shots, i still dont think it is the nicest bike i have ever layed eyes on but the angles and build make it unreal. I still think it is pretty decent looking though

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
seriously, i dont like it. In no way does it appeal to me, the asthetics are aweful in my opinion, there are lots of nice 140mm bikes out there, i think the only thing this one has going for it is the evil name.

let the hate shots begin.
You're right if by nothing going for it other than a name you mean awesome geometry, totally adjustable suspension and a host of people riding them(evil's) that are more than happy with their bikes.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
this isnt a production bike either as kevin said. Doesnt look to have the hydroformed tubing like the revolt. the revolt to me is the best looking DH bike available.
and we all know how the way a bike looks relates to how it rides, right?

oh well, at least you can be the envy of everyone at the trailhead, shuttle or uphill lift. because really, that's what matters on the InterWebToobz!

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
When most of the bikes that are currently available perform better than most of the consumers one of the big things that differentiates bikes (or most product FTM) are looks. I'm very happy with my Revolt but in a race run I don't know that I'm any faster than if I had spent less money on a used Sunday or a Commencal or Morewood. That said, if they ride similarly, I'll take the one that looks the best. Good thing for me that I agree with Blackohio and also think it's the best riding bike I've owned.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
and we all know how the way a bike looks relates to how it rides, right?

oh well, at least you can be the envy of everyone at the trailhead, shuttle or uphill lift. because really, that's what matters on the InterWebToobz!
Im so glad that in your infinitely hip wisdom you were able to totally extrapolate that what I said was the very extent of all my my knowledge and meaning.

I've stated several times that this is the best riding bike i've ever had. Now im no WC racer, nor am I mens elite. I just know that the minute I climbed on this and started railing it around I was immediately comfortable and felt right. Ive ridden a few bikes before this and it stands head and shoulder to me above the rest. The closest being my old Sunday.

Not to mention that aesthetics are a part of a bike purchase and if you say it isnt you're just ****ing lying. Most bikes will ride awesome, some will feel better to one person than another and the final thing it comes down to when spending $3K on a frame is, are you happy with its appearance. Theres alot of frames that to me are just down right awful looking and cost a fortune and im not going to spend $3 to ride something I hate looking at. Call me a poser or whatever.

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
Its a funny one. I wouldn't buy a bike I didn't like the look of, but having said that I generaly like bikes that to me look like they will ride well. I can't think of a single bike out there that I like the look of that is renowned of riding like a heap of junk.

I think I will probably be gettong one of these frames. What else out there offers 5"(ish) travel and a 67 (or less) degree head angle?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I dont know about that bike, but I do like Iced Earth, the trilogy of Something Wicked This Way Comes.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I want to see the Division now. Based on what they did with the Sect, that seems REALLY promising.

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
I'd like to take a lap on Galbraith on a new Covert, I've finally had a chance on a V1 and had a good time. I also got to pedal around on a couple of new Evils in a parking lot and after riding a Covert and then pedaling those around I'm even more excited to get one. They passed the bounce test and also the riding over a curb in both directions test.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
And Transition Covert!
no doubt, when this hype first started up I was pretty much sure i would be getting the sect, always was a fan of evil and it just seemed right...

after months of complete silence went with a raw covert, and so psyched on the bike i cant stand it...I think it will be the best bike i have ever built...

The smoke and mirrors with this got a bit tiring...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I'd like to take a lap on Galbraith on a new Covert, I've finally had a chance on a V1 and had a good time. I also got to pedal around on a couple of new Evils in a parking lot and after riding a Covert and then pedaling those around I'm even more excited to get one. They passed the bounce test and also the riding over a curb in both directions test.
:twitch:

i read this 3 times and still have no idea what you are excited to get...

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
no doubt, when this hype first started up I was pretty much sure i would be getting the sect, always was a fan of evil and it just seemed right...

after months of complete silence went with a raw covert, and so psyched on the bike i cant stand it...I think it will be the best bike i have ever built...

The smoke and mirrors with this got a bit tiring...
what smoke and mirrors. they showed a proto and interbike. and are aiming for a mid 2010 release. eitherway seems like your happy so all is good.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Seriously, the Covert is not even close. It's like a dozen other bikes out there geometry wise. It's called nuance bro. 67 degree head angle and a BB height of just a hair under 14" on a 150mm travel bike is in no way cutting edge. Why not buy a Nomad? Or a Tracer? Or any number of bikes. The Spitfire is definitely the only thing even close. Looking forward to an update on the Sect and any other bike that dares to be a little bit different from the status quo.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Enduro is 66.5/13.5", Orange Alpine 160 is 66/13.25".

I'd take both over the Sect.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Enduro is 66.5/13.5", Orange Alpine 160 is 66/13.25".

I'd take both over the Sect.
The new Enduro is definitely more like it. I'll pass on the Orange. I've already pursued the "killer geometry at the expense of quality travel" route.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
what smoke and mirrors. they showed a proto and interbike. and are aiming for a mid 2010 release. eitherway seems like your happy so all is good.
just the of secrecy around the products and all the guerrilla marketing...i get that it is something different but i needed to a harder date to get a bike ready for some trips i have planned.

love the company, might be on a revolt after i beat the **** out of my dh bike this year but decided to go with the covert...both sweet rigs

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
I can't comment on the evil...but i'll be able to do a comparison on covert vs. spitfire soon. One of our shop guys is building a spitfire and it's looking pretty dope...if only i still owned a covert...**cough cough** Sam, i can do a comparison full review if you guys need to get rid of an extra covert **cough cough**

but seriously, the covert could be the greatest bike i've ever ridden. who gives a crap about geometry or numbers. it's all about the end review. i switched with my buddy when i had a covert and he had a nomad and i just loved the covert even more. if i hadn't spent all my money on a TR450, i'd be on another covert. maybe things will turn around in the next few months

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
OMG that is great... can we make that a new test for Mountain Bike Action?
I also decided that the tires were not appropriate for the build and as such I ranked the frame lower compared to other bikes. The Minions might be good for the trails on Galbraith but I found them to be too heavy for the sidewalks of Seattle.