Quantcast

Something is clicking

cbseven

Chimp
Jul 4, 2004
When I ride hard my bike clicks. Its coming from the front. the fork/headset area. I know my headset is tight and everything. But something is clicking. I have an Marzocchi MZ Comp fork. Could it be that ? :drool: The bikes like a 2 months old and it started like two weeks ago.

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver
well, how does it click? when there is weight on the bike? under torque? when the bike is in motion? can you do it by moving a certing thing?

take the front apart and see if you can find anything

~SGD

cbseven

Chimp
Jul 4, 2004
It clicks from side to side motion ( lift up and down on the sides of the handle bars with a lot of pressure. I took it all apart and could not find anything. Could it be the headset its self? (aheadset)

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
It's probably not the headset, unless you aren't tightening it properly. Eventhough, if you can afford it, I would upgrade to a real headset, maybe like an FSA Orbit if you're on a budget. I would take out all of the stem bolts, grease them and reassemble. It could be the fork also, but probably not. That's a cross-country fork you got there, if you've been doing any drops or "heavy" riding, it could be the steerer/crown interface, or the stanchions/crown interface, but probably not after two weeks.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Edited: Nevermind, I didn't read far enough in the thread.

Sounds like a bar/stem/headset cap problem to me. I'd grease all bolts and re-torque everything to spec up on that end. A side-to-side motion on the handlebars kind of rules out it being the fork, and probably the headset bearings as well.

Unless you mean it's when you're torquing the bars under heavy load...that might make it the fork after all... (I took it to mean that it happens when you have the bike in a stand and pull up and down on the bars.)

MD

cbseven

Chimp
Jul 4, 2004
scofflaw23 said:
It's probably not the headset, unless you aren't tightening it properly. Eventhough, if you can afford it, I would upgrade to a real headset, maybe like an FSA Orbit if you're on a budget. I would take out all of the stem bolts, grease them and reassemble. It could be the fork also, but probably not. That's a cross-country fork you got there, if you've been doing any drops or "heavy" riding, it could be the steerer/crown interface, or the stanchions/crown interface, but probably not after two weeks.
Well thats what I have been doing with that fork. Im going to look into a new one. And ill pick up a new headset.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
I have a click/creak from the front end of my bike, and I finally figured out it was my headset crown race on the fork... it's a loose fit, so every time I heave on the bars, it moves around on the fork, and clicks. I found that this particular headset didn't have a very tight fit on any Marzocchi steerer, which I thought was interesting. But yeh, you never know...