Quantcast

Somewhat DH worthy XC rims?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
In my effort to reduce the weight of my boat anchor, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on what XC rims (or freeride rims) would work alright for DH. Of course I'd get them built strongly, properly and professionally... the last time I built my own wheels I was sitting out in the sun and drinking beer: The rear wheel is all over the place now.

So Sun Singletracks have always been a pretty good choice but I was also thinking of the Sun Rhyno Lite XL welded rims that Go-ride has for $40usd.

Any other suggestions?? Having lighter rims will force me to not be stupid and not try to run over things I should be riding around.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
Sun MTX rims, Arrow FRX rims. i wouldn't go any lighter really. the new 823s are suppose to be really good.

"Any other suggestions?? Having lighter rims will force me to not be stupid and not try to run over things I should be riding around." - sounds like you wanna ride XC.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
DHS said:
Sun MTX rims, Arrow FRX rims. i wouldn't go any lighter really. the new 823s are suppose to be really good.
I thought the FRX rims were still really heavy...or just as heavy as my Atomlab DHR rims.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
i have 3year old rynolytes on my slalom bike and that thing gets beaten and they still roll...they may have some flat spots but after that long it dosnt really matter

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Check out the Sun SOS rims. Same profile as the SingleTrack rims, but 3mm narrower and lighter. They were originally only OEM on the 05 Spec. Enduro and now you can buy them aftermarket.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
XM321's (confusing w/D321, X3.1.. etc)
Mavic 519, 219 can both be had pretty cheap and hold up pretty well.

Check out universalcycles.com they have good deals sometimes.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Biscuit said:
XM321's (confusing w/D321, X3.1.. etc)
Mavic 519, 219 can both be had pretty cheap and hold up pretty well.

Check out universalcycles.com they have good deals sometimes.
I think XM321's are the old 219, 519.........i'm not sure though......if that's what your saying....

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
I get really confused with the whole non-sensical number switching.

I think the xm321's are a tubless version of the 219... I think.

The 519 is a "non-disk" rim, but it's light, welded (not pinned) and cheap if you can find 'em.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
dt has a rim called the 6,1 that is lighter than most dh rims and totally dh-able, its pretty much a narrower 321

old 521 or whatever its called is also a good choice, syncros has a good looking rim line, for what youre after i think theres one called the ds28

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
konahucker43 said:
the xm321's are the new 219. good rims and very light. they are not tubeless thou
i'm running xm321's on my big bike currently. after a couple months (whistler & northshore) the rear is getting polygonal, and the seam is opening up (its pinned, not welded) - the rim is pretty much done. the front is holding up fine, though. they are about as light as i'd risk for dh use (570g), and seem to do the trick if you're not heavy, or a basher. i'm going to use rhyno xl's on my next wheelset, however - they're about the same weight, with a welded seam.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Rhyno XL works well, especially for the price.

For a light DH rim, however, I don't think anything beats the 521/721. Built right, that rim can be incredibly strong.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Rhyno's are so skinny though, I say singletracks. Just use DB spokes. They really are just as strong, spokes never break in the middle. Flexier though.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
ioscope said:
Rhyno's are so skinny though, I say singletracks. Just use DB spokes. They really are just as strong, spokes never break in the middle. Flexier though.
The XL versions of the rhyno lite is just under 30mm wide. The standard rhyno lite is skinnier.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Leethal said:
Your thinking of the DHX rim which is coincidently still lighter than a Atomlab rim...
But Atomlab also has different versions of their rim...the heavy one Trailpimp is like the Arrow DHX and the Atomlab DHR is like the FRX.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
decent suggestions above for standard rims that'll allow you to save a little weight.

however, think hard about your intended use and the overall weight of the tires / tube / rim (or sealant).

if you look at the 823 rims (new version, which appears to be stronger) plus the nipple adapters, you're looking at around 610 g, which at first glance isn't impressive compared to non-UST rims that are way wider.

but if you're only planning to run 2.4 or 2.5 tires (real width, not skinny maxxis widths :rolleyes: ) they you gotta decide between lighter tire casings plus heavy, pinch-resistant tubes, or heavier DH casings that some (not all) riders can use with light XC tubes.

Then compare that to a true UST tire like the 2.4 Specialized Enduro D2 Pro tubeless at 930 g, and consider the overall advantages: mounts really easily, any pump will work, overall lesss hassle than using Stan's and a non-UST tire, relatively burly (for a single-ply) sidewall, and since the bead is already self-sealing, you don't need much sealant in the tire sloshing around---just enough to handle punctures. I'm using the rubber-containing Sliime for tubeless you buy at motocross shops, cheap.

I wish the mavic 823 were wider and lighter :cool: but just as strong...then it'd be a no-brainer. Still, as it is, it's a pretty good solution for a lot of riders. You just have to think about how wide you want your tire size to be, and whether you need the advantages of a truly wide rim.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
321s have been holding up pretty good for me. I've heard the pinned joint can separate, so far no problem but one of the welded -21 series might be a better call.

descender

Chimp
May 6, 2003
San Francisco
frorider said:
Then compare that to a true UST tire like the 2.4 Specialized Enduro D2 Pro tubeless at 930 g, and consider the overall advantages: mounts really easily, any pump will work, overall lesss hassle than using Stan's and a non-UST tire, relatively burly (for a single-ply) sidewall, and since the bead is already self-sealing, you don't need much sealant in the tire sloshing around---just enough to handle punctures. I'm using the rubber-containing Sliime for tubeless you buy at motocross shops, cheap.
I have these tires and I love them.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
xy9ine said:
speaking of rhyno xl's... can anyone confirm the erd? i've seen it listed on a variety of sites as 544 and 548. which is correct?
I'd be inclined to use what ever the sun website says it is.

h22ekhatch

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
Portland
I have a pair of F219's that I have been absolutely abusing for the last few years...they have held up well. They are a bit narrow tho, makes it hard to put on some of the bigger tires.

FWIW I weigh about 235 so I am not a lightweight rider :)

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
h22ekhatch said:
I have a pair of F219's that I have been absolutely abusing for the last few years...they have held up well. They are a bit narrow tho, makes it hard to put on some of the bigger tires.

FWIW I weigh about 235 so I am not a lightweight rider :)
I wouldn't be running anything over 2.5-2.7. Maxxis minion is a small 2.7

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
dhtahoe said:
WTB Dual Duty. Just a copy of the old Mavic D-521. I have punished the same set at N* for three years.

Nice...bikesmart.com has them for $50 each...and they can use usps to ship to Canada.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
dropmachine.com said:
Wouldn't it be cheaper, easier, and faster to just realize that bike is a pig, and always will be no matter what you hang off it?
The frame can be heavy...but the parts can still be lighter.

Figure a 2005 Boxxer, maybe a pushed Fox RC with Ti spring (I can probably fit one of those new Fox MXR air shocks in there, I just don't know enough about it just yet), lighter rims/tires/tubes, Thompson stem and easton bars.

compared to what I have now...

Atomlab DHR rims, heavy front tire, El Jefe shock with steel spring, S7 fork, FSA DH400 bar, generic cnc stem.

I like the frame a lot actually, it's just the parts that I'm sick of.