Quantcast

Song of the Day (09Aug06) [matador #3]

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
damn PC rebooted after a windows update, i'm guessing, and killed my ready-to-go megapost i'd had up

Guided By Voices takes equal parts British Invasion, prog rock a la Gabriel-era Genesis, beer-fueled basement jam sessions and lyrics which are full of imagery and inventiveness, all powered by an unstoppable DIY spirit. it's basically the muse of Robert Pollard, a guy who decided to quit his gig teaching 4th graders and pursue the rock dream, making use of the songs he'd been cribbing together w/ his brother and other friends for years.

of course the deck was stacked against him from the beginning, but it's fairly impressive what he's accomplished in the meantime. according to www.gbvdb.com, he's written and recorded 1130 songs. think about that. now his infamous quote ('i can write 5 songs while taking a crap, and 3 of them will be good') doesn't seem too far off the mark. however, there's still a ton of people who would love GBV but don't have a clue as to who they are. when you fully immerse yrself in the massive body of work and appreciate the genius of Pollard, you wonder why he's not a huge star.

If We Wait

Sheet Kickers

Tractor Rape Chain

The Closer You Are, The Quicker It Hits You

a picture i took of bob when he played here in April:

Matador-era "classic lineup"

mitch f'in mitchell:

tobin sprout: