Quantcast

Sonos Amp

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Anybody have any experience with the Sonos Amp? It's pretty pricey for what you get, from the looks of it, but we have a bunch of other Sonos speakers (mostly gifts) around the house and it would be nice to make use of my old Phase Tech sub and bookshelf speakers, since they're just sitting around at this point...

The thought is to hook it up to the TV to go along with the existing Soundbar we have, and also for just general streaming audio.

Good/bad/ugly?

Dec 3, 2007
We do a fair amount of Sonos stuff and have used the Amp in various configurations, but I'm pretty sure it won't do what you want. When combined with any of the Sonos soundbars, the Amp can only be used to drive surrounds. It also won't output to a wired sub when in surround sound mode.
Maybe move the Playbar to another TV and use the Amp in 2.1 setup with the bookshelves and sub.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Would the new Power node do what you want? I have the non power version and now that I have it worked out it is pretty good.
I would like people to give me Sonos priced gifts, that's pretty sweet!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Are you trying to use your sub and speakers with the soundbar and TV? Or separately?

We have the sonos soundbar with a sub and two satellites for our TV, all wireless through the sonos app. Super easy to setup and sounds good enough that I don't feel the need to upgrade anytime soon. The sub makes a huge difference in overall sound. That said, I'm no A/V nerd and I'm sure it's merely adequate by some standards.

I just hope this stuff continues to be supported.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Are you trying to use your sub and speakers with the soundbar and TV? Or separately?

We have the sonos soundbar with a sub and two satellites for our TV, all wireless through the sonos app. Super easy to setup and sounds good enough that I don't feel the need to upgrade anytime soon. The sub makes a huge difference in overall sound. That said, I'm no A/V nerd and I'm sure it's merely adequate by some standards.

I just hope this stuff continues to be supported.
The Soundbar isn't connected to the TV at all?

And yes, I'm thinking I could hook the TV into the Amp, which would give me sub/bookshelf audio, then group it with the Soundbar to have sub/bookshelf/soundbar all together when streaming video...

With this setup, I *would* be able to use the sub/bookshelf separate if I wanted to, but not sure there'd be any point in doing that...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
No, my bad, you're right, the soundbar is connected to the TV. Everything else is wireless though (except for power, duh).

I think what you're suggesting will work but I have no experience with the amp or other products that let you use non-sonos components with the system. Also not sure if you'd get surround out of the bookshelf speakers with that setup (if you care), but maybe it depends on the amp. In any case, I hear you and with that setup don't see much reason to use the sub and bookshelf speakers separately, you'd just include the soundbar in the group for full sound in that room (from the TV or otherwise).

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
No, my bad, you're right, the soundbar is connected to the TV. Everything else is wireless though (except for power, duh).

I think what you're suggesting will work but I have no experience with the amp or other products that let you use non-sonos components with the system. Also not sure if you'd get surround out of the bookshelf speakers with that setup (if you care), but maybe it depends on the amp. In any case, I hear you and with that setup don't see much reason to use the sub and bookshelf speakers separately, you'd just include the soundbar in the group for full sound in that room (from the TV or otherwise).
Yeah - I don't actually care about surround - just want to get the sub and bookshelves back in use - they're decent speakers, and I could use some more low... the Soundbar is OK, but not much low frequency.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I have a Crown XTi1002 500-watt amp and 2 Cerwin Vega CVI152 Loudspeakers. I can let you Borrow them if you pay for shipping. They utilize Speakon cables.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
This all sounds very complicated, I like my normal speakders with a simple amp with an on/off and volume controls.

Also what is this shit with @SkaredShtles owning a TV?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I have a Crown XTi1002 500-watt amp and 2 Cerwin Vega CVI152 Loudspeakers. I can let you Borrow them if you pay for shipping. They utilize Speakon cables.
I'm not sure they would be able to keep up with a SONOS soundbar.

Dec 3, 2007
The Soundbar isn't connected to the TV at all?

And yes, I'm thinking I could hook the TV into the Amp, which would give me sub/bookshelf audio, then group it with the Soundbar to have sub/bookshelf/soundbar all together when streaming video...

With this setup, I *would* be able to use the sub/bookshelf separate if I wanted to, but not sure there'd be any point in doing that...
After seeing how this is stated and a bit more research, I’ll take back my initial statement that your desired setup won’t work.
The Playbar can act as a stand-alone speaker and be grouped with the Amp based system. The Playbar would be playing the full stereo signal which will have an affect on the imaging of the bookshelf speakers though. Might be able to fine tune the levels with the app to help counteract any weirdness.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
After seeing how this is stated and a bit more research, I’ll take back my initial statement that your desired setup won’t work.
The Playbar can act as a stand-alone speaker and be grouped with the Amp based system. The Playbar would be playing the full stereo signal which will have an affect on the imaging of the bookshelf speakers though. Might be able to fine tune the levels with the app to help counteract any weirdness.
Almost guaranteed I wouldn't notice any weirdness. :homer:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
A pair of decent bookshelf speakers should have better SQ than a Sonos soundbar, slapping that in the middle might make things worse.........I dunno, but it could be an expensive experiment.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Anybody have any experience with the Sonos Amp? It's pretty pricey for what you get, from the looks of it, but we have a bunch of other Sonos speakers (mostly gifts) around the house and it would be nice to make use of my old Phase Tech sub and bookshelf speakers, since they're just sitting around at this point...

The thought is to hook it up to the TV to go along with the existing Soundbar we have, and also for just general streaming audio.

Good/bad/ugly?
I have one hooked up to a decent pair of floor speakers. I use it just for listening to streaming music, no TV stuff. It sounds OK, not as good as my yamaha 100w amp with the same speakers, but it doesn't sound bad with loudness turned on. Sounded pretty dull without. I'm not truly an audiophile, just a guy who likes good sound.