Quantcast

Sooo...what tires to run on waxed tiles?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Heehee! Yeah, that's actually a serious question! I got accepted to run the Redbull Ride the Sky in two weeks(yikes) and the surface will consist of slippery tiled hallways, carpet and steps. Hopefully a little air in there as well, but I don't really want the tires to grab anything at that point.
The choices in my basement are
(1)2.5 Nevegal Stick-E, (1)2.5 Blue groove Stick-E, (1)2.3 Nevegal Stick-E,
2.5/2.3 Specialized Chunders w/Umma Gumma rubber
2.5/2.3 Michelin Comp 24s
2.4 Holy Rollers(pair)
2.2 Maxxis Wetscreams(pair), aka Pizza Cutters

NOT really considering the Holy Rollers at all, they wash out on concrete and I'll be on 90* corners on slippery tile.
I'm not digging the Michy's cuz they're brand new with nips and a fugging MUTHER to mount/dismount.
The Chunders roll like sh!t and I think you can actually see a gooey trail behind them. Super sticky, BUT I don't think it will matter on tile?
Soooo I'm leaning toward the Kenda 2.5 BG front and 2.3 Nevegal rear and POSSIBLY treating the outside lugs with a traction agent. And if the vote is on the Kendas, BG or another Nev in front?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Waxed tile is like slightly less slippery ice (at least in my experience on it with some hard compound Maxxis CX tires)...High volume sticky compound would be my suggestion.

I'd go with the 2.5 Nevegals...don't you have some entryways or a mall you can try them out in?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I've been screwing around in my basement on painted concrete, which is about as close as I can get, and NOTHING sticks! Not to mention 6' circles isn't quite the same as pinned and adrenalined...!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Hookworms would be horrible. Definently want knobs.

Studs would do the trick. :D

Oh yeah, if that crap gets even the SLIGHTEST bit wet, expect to go down...

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Studs...hmmm....
I suppose that wouldn't be very nice of me, would it!?
Knowing Redbull, they'll prob have the floors waxed the hour before the race starts!
I've been thinking that maybe I can just overshoot the corners, slam the far wall and crank out of it...
Can't really run low PSI... sounds like a ton of stairs to bomb down. That's actually where I'm the most concerned. I haven't seen the course, but i've got this vision of a stairwell with the 180 degree turns that are all slippery tile. Wish I had those crazy street skills, just bust those sick wall-to-wall wallrides all the way down!

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Lugs fold and hold. And you can't really get a super tacky slick. And I don't really want to run a slick while I'm turning on stairs, either. it'll be nice to have some lugs on there. The stairs sound tight, and I'll lose time trying to run down them straight, and turning on the tiles, which it doiesn't sound like there's room for anyway.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
rock some arrow launch tires, they roll super fast, have a round profile for cornering, and you can get them in a soft durometer. i'm always riding in dusty skateparks with them and they hold up

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Where is this race and can anyone sign up? It sounds really fun.
It's in the Skyway system above the streets of Minneapolis, Minnesota. Entry is already filled and they stopped taking apps on Tuesday. Only 50 riders were selected.

I thought about the arrows, but I'm not going to buy any new tires for the race, and those still don't have the side lugs I'd prefer to run. Prob doesn't matter anyway, slippery is slippery!

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
So you aren't buying new tires for the race, but you want a recommendation between your selection of tires, none of which work? Holy Rollers at low pressure with holy hell heavy DH tubes...that'd be my guess. The time you may or may not lose in the corners with slicks you can probably make up with lower rolling reistance.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Never said they don't work, said I don't KNOW which ones will work. Sounds like everyone else is just running whatever is on their bike at the moment. Just looking for some input.
I DO know that I'm gonna be sliding out no matter what. The one place I don't want that is on the stairs!
So, I need a tacky, fastrolling tire that can take sharp edged hits and stick to ice. Wait...not ice... WAX!
Haha! This is gonna be fun! Sounds like the finish line is a big ol stairgap...in a lobby!

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
Never said they don't work, said I don't KNOW which ones will work. Sounds like everyone else is just running whatever is on their bike at the moment. Just looking for some input.
I DO know that I'm gonna be sliding out no matter what. The one place I don't want that is on the stairs!
So, I need a tacky, fastrolling tire that can take sharp edged hits and stick to ice. Wait...not ice... WAX!
Haha! This is gonna be fun! Sounds like the finish line is a big ol stairgap...in a lobby!
Will this be in conjunction with Frostbike this year? It sounds like loads of fun...but i'm not going to Frostbike this year. :disgust:

edit: Saw that it was in two weeks. Good luck anyway dude.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
Frostbike is a QBP tradeshow (QBP is a major bike shop distributor), kinda like interbike, held in Minneapolis every year. Anything sanctioned by Red Bull will be loads of fun.:cheers:

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
Id say 2.5 Nevegal on back, 2.5 Specalized on front. If the Specialized are a sticky as I have heard, then it would be better to have it one front, to prevent nose-washouts. The Nevegal will still hook up, but if you want style points you can always do a little drifting.
Ohh yeah, go poach a mall. Most mall cops are to fat to run for more than 30seconds, so you should be good.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Ha! We don't have mall cops, but I'm 34 years old, I live in a town of 13,000 people and there's 3(literally THREE) mtn bikers. Let's just say we're known... Hell, I'm sure if I checked a pedigree I'm related to all the malls employees! That's sad...
And yeah, I was kinda spacing off the Chunders... I yanked them off the bike because they were IMPOSSIBLE to ride any urban with. Geez, even the ride to the truck on the road from the end of a local trail is a chore...DOWNHILL!
Might mount them up and give 'em a spin...

Could also just run both of the Chunders, maybe just 20psi in the front and like 40-50 in the rear...

gonefirefightin

free wieners
naw bro, I was just talking about this exact same race with a buddy of mine. we both run the intense Zero fros in the urban races. they stick like mad and keep you rolling fast on course since there is no tread in the middle to slow you down. and when you brake man they stop you quick. perfect tire for the ride the sky, wish i could go, i am hung up with a race in oregon.

elRey

Turbo Monkey
naw bro, I was just talking about this exact same race with a buddy of mine. we both run the intense Zero fros in the urban races. they stick like mad and keep you rolling fast on course since there is no tread in the middle to slow you down. and when you brake man they stop you quick. perfect tire for the ride the sky, wish i could go, i am hung up with a race in oregon.

a race in oregon???

what is this "race" u speak of.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I've been wondering how those Small Blaocks would do... But I can't buy tires. Hell, not even sure how I'm getting there yet! It's 6 hours away, I'm broke, and I've got a deal in a town 5 hours away in the opposite direction this weekend, and another event in the same town 2 weeks after the Redbull race! And that's not including the 6-7 motel rooms needed for all of them...
That's why I'm gonna have to run wut I brung...

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
Which ever tire you actually do decide to run with, here is a tip. About 30/45 minutes before your run, run your tires in Coke several times. As in Coca-Cola, it will help with traction on slippery surfaces. We use to this back in the early 80's on our BMX bikes for those indoor races that had wooden jumps, flat turns, and were on gym floors or concrete or other slippery surfaces.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
Which ever tire you actually do decide to run with, here is a tip. About 30/45 minutes before your run, run your tires in Coke several times. As in Coca-Cola, it will help with traction on slippery surfaces. We use to this back in the early 80's on our BMX bikes for those indoor races that had wooden jumps, flat turns, and were on gym floors or concrete or other slippery surfaces.
I went to see some indoor motocross stunt show, or whatever you wnt to call it, and they were out about 50min before showtime mopping the floor with cola. They were able to pop power wheelies on smooth concrete with the sticky soda residue, so I would bet it works pretty well.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I'm not sure if this would work or not but might be worth a try at home first. Depending on the tire compound you might be able to degrade the rubber and make it more sticky using alcohol or some other solvent. You'd probably just end up ruining a perfectly good set of tires though... Just a thought. I've never actually tried it.