Quantcast

soul cycles dillinger

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Looks nice from the pics, but that's all the info I've got.

Wonder why they opted for the EBB when they spent all that time developing that custom sliding dropout that went on the Sluggo last year.

north20

Chimp
Nov 5, 2007
East Cascades - PNW
Anyone with some updated info on this frame ?

At their website ( link below ), they've extended the promotional price on this as well as the Hooligan frame. For $245 one could try the 29er experience on the cheap ... and the frame looks pretty nice to boot.

http://www.ridesoul.com/

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
We will be doing a review of the Dillinger here on Ridemonkey shortly. so if you want to wait - stay tuned.

Hopefully the bike will arrive here in CT fairly soon. And then we'll get some ride time on it and report back.

Best,

Mark

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Hopefully is the operative word. I hope to get a ride or two in and pass the bike along to a few other "testers" here in the Nutmeg state before we get a ton of snow on the ground.

markiey

Chimp
Nov 12, 2007
Germantown, Maryland
I bought one and it was delivered last week. I haven't started building it up yet but it looks sweet! I have a Titan and it's been a great bike. I wanted to build a 29er and when I saw the deal on the new Dillinger frames on the SC website I couldn't pass it up. I'll be interested in reading that review too.

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
I am very close to ordering a Dillinger and a rigid fork from Soul. I've talked to Chad a couple of times and I might step up this week. I don't really have extra cash right now beacuse Christmas is coming, but I want one pretty badly.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I bought one and it was delivered last week. I haven't started building it up yet but it looks sweet! I have a Titan and it's been a great bike. I wanted to build a 29er and when I saw the deal on the new Dillinger frames on the SC website I couldn't pass it up. I'll be interested in reading that review too.

Congrats! What color did you choose and did it arrive yet? Let's see a pic or two of the frame if you've received it.

Cheers,

Mark

markiey

Chimp
Nov 12, 2007
Germantown, Maryland
It's pearl white. The paint looks great, not sure if the pictures do it justice. Chad said the there would be a delay because they didn't have boxes but I still got it in a week. Also, the website said that there was a problem with the SS insert but mine was fine.

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
I was thinking about the yellow one, but that white sure looks nice. Did you get a rigid fork, or are you gonna put a suspension fork on it?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I'd like to see good shots of the yellow one - I've seen the pearl green over at dirtrag.com via their forums and it is a cool looking paint color.

sportcult

Chimp
Nov 15, 2007
Hey, I've had one of this since they first became available. Mines green. I've been running it as a rigid single speed. It weighs ~20 lbs even. So the ride...well, it was my first 29er so I'm trying to still figure out what effects are due to the wheel size and what are due to the Dillinger frame.
First things I noticed were it looks great! The sparkly paint is sexy and makes it stand out from the crowd. Versatility: v-brakes, disc brakes, geared, single, it comes with everything to set it up how you want it.
I was a bit concerned with the long chainstays, they are about 18" to the center of the EBB. I have the EBB straight back so mine are at 17.8, still pretty long, but similar to some other 29ers. After riding a Specialized Rockhopper 29 with 17.3 stays, I have to say, I couldn't really tell that much difference. I do find it takes more body movement to pull the front up over logs and ledges, but it's not too hard. Traction is amazing even with the long stays. The big wheels just roll up anything.
The long stays, 71 degree headtube, and long 29er fork offset all combine to give a long wheelbase and very stable ride at all speeds and over obstacles. It does take a bit more coaxing through tight corners.
A small nitpick is the seatpost diameter at 31.6. That makes for a very rigid post, a little more give from a smaller, more commonly available size would probably be more comfortable.
The BB is relatively low. I've tried 3 forks on it and none of them got it up to 12". I don't get many pedal strikes and maybe the handling benefits, but a full 12" height would be ideal it seems.
Anyways, for $245 it is sweet! Really you can't go wrong at that price, it's way lighter and seems nicer than anything else near that price. The matching steel rigid fork is only $35! Go for it!

pics before I built it:

sportcult

Chimp
Nov 15, 2007
My camera has crapped out on me. The only pic I have is with a bent fork:

My Niner fork was bent forward about an inch! 60+mm of offset.

Just tonight we finally put the strongarm to it in the jig at the LBS. Now it has 50mm offset. I'm going to try it like that, then go to 40mm, decide which angle I liked best then order a custom fork with that.

markiey

Chimp
Nov 12, 2007
Germantown, Maryland
Did you get a rigid fork, or are you gonna put a suspension fork on it?
I have a white Reba SL 29er that I'm going to try. I have a Reba on my 26" FS and it's been great. Any suggestions for 29" wheels? I think that's my next purchase and I haven't seriously started checking them out yet but it seems like the selection is still kind of limited.

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Those look sweet! I have a real hard time resisting a white pearl like that, but the green one...............yikes! (My favorite color!)

MMcG has been telling me about these. They sure look sweet and I'm betting they won't be a secret much longer! ;)

el-cid

Chimp
Nov 4, 2004
Anaconda, MT, USA
A small nitpick is the seatpost diameter at 31.6. That makes for a very rigid post, a little more give from a smaller, more commonly available size would probably be more comfortable.

I haven't even finished building up my new Ventana El Comandante and I'm drooling on this frame. If I was in the market I'd be all over this. I'm loving the green too, though the white pearl is pretty nice. Anyhow, you could get a 27.2 to 31.6 shim and run a 27.2 post in the frame. I've got one in my Titus Supermoto and I've never had a problem or slip, even with a quick release seat clamp.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I haven't even finished building up my new Ventana El Comandante and I'm drooling on this frame. If I was in the market I'd be all over this. I'm loving the green too, though the white pearl is pretty nice. Anyhow, you could get a 27.2 to 31.6 shim and run a 27.2 post in the frame. I've got one in my Titus Supermoto and I've never had a problem or slip, even with a quick release seat clamp.
You and I share the same line of thinking. :) I wonder if they make a 31.6 to 27.4mm shim? I've got a nice weird sized Syncros 27.4 that would work great if such a shim size existed.

Jan 19, 2008
I chose green cuz I thought everyone would be all over the white frames.
Mine's setup as a 650B bike. -not so good conversion. FRAME FOR SALE. I'm currently taking it apart.

PM ME for info.

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
Well, it's starting to look like a bike. I'm waiting to slap on a new saddle, stylo cranks and I'm still deciding on tires but I'll most likely go with the panaracer rampages.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Go with a Rampage up front and something a little different in back - maybe a Crossmark, or maybe the Fire XC from IRD (made by Panaracer)

I've found the Rampage to kick ass up front, but be somewhat slow rolling as a rear tire. YMMV.

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
Go with a Rampage up front and something a little different in back - maybe a Crossmark, or maybe the Fire XC from IRD (made by Panaracer)

I've found the Rampage to kick ass up front, but be somewhat slow rolling as a rear tire. YMMV.
I'll most likely go with the fire xc in the rear - I've had luck with them in the past.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Nice work Spero - mine should be done this week.

1x9 with a Reba up front though for now. Gotta get out and ride it and do up a formal review for the forum - stay tuned.

How's that Soul fork?? You impressions of it so far?

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
Nice work Spero - mine should be done this week.

1x9 with a Reba up front though for now. Gotta get out and ride it and do up a formal review for the forum - stay tuned.

How's that Soul fork?? You impressions of it so far?
I took it out yesterday for a while and the bike flies. The fork is a bit flexy for my tastes, but I'm heavy so that's to be expected I guess. It'll be replaced by a suspension fork at some point most likely (I'm liking the sound of the 20mm reba). I'm amazed at how quick and responsive the bike is being a 29er and all. I've test ridden a few 29ers before, but hadn't had a chance to take one on the trail - I'm impressed. For some reason (flattened chainstays maybe?), the rocky sections weren't as bad as I had expected them to be with an aluminum frame - it's stiff laterally, but complies with the terrain well. The long chainstays don't seem to be much of a problem on this frame - I didn't have much trouble bringing the front end up when I needed to. I may end up cutting the bars down a bit to keep from getting snagged on some of the tighter trails around here. There's still plenty of fine tuning to be done until I'm completely content but, thus far, I have to say that it's been a while since I've been this excited about a bike. Oh, it weighs in at right around 25.5 which was another surprise for me. I was expecting a heavier build. I also have to say that I'm glad I went with the FSA V-drives over the stylos - these are some siff cranks and they're pretty light (about 700 without the other chainrings vs. the 850 of the stylo).