Quantcast

South Beach diet

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk
Since I'm such an ANTILOWCARB loudmouth, I figured I'd better put up or shut up - so I'm trying the South Beach Diet (I'm not currently riding or lifting).

So is it in my head or is it making me feel crappy only 3 days in?

Can I say "I was right" yet?
what's "feeling crappy"? anyway, i just read the south beach page comparing it to atkins ( http://www.southbeachdietguide.com/sb-vs-atkins.html ) and it's very untrustworthy imo. atkins does distinguish between kinds of fats, and between kinds of carbs (mainly fiber vs. everything else). anyway, you can't really say "i told you so" or your favorite variation :D since atkins has worked for DT and for me, too.

(disclaimer: i'm eating "normally" now, but that's because i'm starting a new job, new town, don't have a place yet where i can cook etc. etc.)

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I've been trying this "diet" with MtnBikerChk this week. I've been eating all bland proteins....burgers, chicken, a hot dog (last night), protein shakes, and lots of salad.

I am DYING for some real food here. After three days, it seems this diet is just leading to cravings I would otherwise not feel. I was doing fine before. :dead:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Since I'm such an ANTILOWCARB loudmouth, I figured I'd better put up or shut up - so I'm trying the South Beach Diet (I'm not currently riding or lifting).

LOL, Julie & I started that diet Sunday night. So far lost 4 pounds:D Julie lost 1 pound. My goal is to get down to 185-190lbs, I'm at 200lbs now.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch

diets suck! why are you trying it?

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
To see what it's like....all in the name of science. The best way to understand something is to experience it.

so are you trying to loose weight or just expirimenting. i have a friend who kept going on the atkins diet. she worked in landscaping and was busting her ass every day and not eating carbs. she would last about 3 days before she would get pissy and groggy. i tried to tell her that there were plenty of other ways to loose weight but she wouldnt hear of it. why do people think that you have to misserable to look good?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by laura
so are you trying to loose weight or just expirimenting. i have a friend who kept going on the atkins diet. she worked in landscaping and was busting her ass every day and not eating carbs. she would last about 3 days before she would get pissy and groggy. i tried to tell her that there were plenty of other ways to loose weight but she wouldnt hear of it. why do people think that you have to misserable to look good?
I'm just starting to get off the pissy stage, yesterday was getting easier..Thank goodness, Julie kept telling me I was being a total asshole:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by laura
so are you trying to loose weight or just expirimenting
A little of both. I'd like to lose 7-10 pounds. It's tougher in the "off season", but the weight will come right off once I start riding again.

I have not been feeling grumpy at all, just hungry for pizza and french fries.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by TULSATUMBLERSGF
CHECK OUT THIS SITE...

WWW.BODYFORLIFE.COM

I AM IN WEEK 2 OF THIS 12 WEEK PROGRAM... IT IS AWESOME... LOST 9 POUNDS AS OF THIS MORNING!!!

(psst....caps lock)

BFL is a combination of diet and exercise. We're talking just diet here. Personally, I don't like Bill Phillips' program because it is very strict and his workouts leave absolutely nothing for the imagination. "Do these exercises, do X number of sets, X number of reps, and wait X seconds between sets. Repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat." However, BFL is good for a beginner with little direction looking to get started somewhere.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I don't want to be an idiot, but what exactly is the "south beach diet?"

The reason I ask is my girlfriend got big again, and I wouldn't mind shedding some pounds with her, except she uses weight watchers which worked very well for her, but I didn't like the idea of eating a "happy meal" as dinner to fullfill my "points" for the day.

I have been thinking about the atkins diet except I like some carbs too, but lean protein isn't a problem. I love chicken/fish/steak. The south beach diet got me thinking though.....something different to try.

SO..........any explanations or good sites out there that explain it very well? How about from your guys perspectives?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by Spunger
I have been thinking about the atkins diet except I like some carbs too, but lean protein isn't a problem. I love chicken/fish/steak. The south beach diet got me thinking though.....something different to try.
This book explains it all. It's kind of like Atkins, but the South Beach Diet allows you to eat "good" carbs after two weeks, while Atkins makes you give them up forever.

Originally posted by I Are Baboon
This book explains it all. It's kind of like Atkins, but the South Beach Diet allows you to eat "good" carbs after two weeks, while Atkins makes you give them up forever.
that's not exactly the difference. the difference is atkins says go eat all the fatty steak and butter you want. south beach says go low fat and eat the right kind of carbs - high in fiber, low on the glycemic index.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
that's not exactly the difference. the difference is atkins says go eat all the fatty steak and butter you want. south beach says go low fat and eat the right kind of carbs - high in fiber, low on the glycemic index.
this isn't right either. atkins doesn't say that. and after "induction" (which is four weeks as opposed to two in south beach, same diff) carbs are added back. 20 g/day is only for induction. the atkins book has plenty about fiber and glycemic index too... :monkey:

Originally posted by Toshi
this isn't right either. atkins doesn't say that. and after "induction" (which is four weeks as opposed to two in south beach, same diff) carbs are added back. 20 g/day is only for induction. the atkins book has plenty about fiber and glycemic index too... :monkey:
from what I read, atkins tells you what to eat, not how to determine what types of foods to eat - calculating "net carbs" is not adequate in my opinion.

you are right - he does stress fiber - my bad. because without fiber, you're gonna be in the bathroom for a long time with all that extra cheese :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
from what I read, atkins tells you what to eat, not how to determine what types of foods to eat - calculating "net carbs" is not adequate in my opinion.

you are right - he does stress fiber - my bad. because without fiber, you're gonna be in the bathroom for a long time with all that extra cheese :D
ok, now we are much closer to being in agreement. :D what's the difference between "telling you what to eat" and "determining what types of food to eat"? in that atkins book there's plenty of info on what vegetables (yes, even vegetables :eek: ) are ok, it's not a steak-and-cheese-and-more-steak fest, really.

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
Been sort of following the South Beach Diet and like what they are saying and my results so far. Seems a little more nutritionally balanced than Atkins and the recipes are actually pretty good and easy to fix. I’ve dropped about 8 pounds in three weeks.

I’m more concerned with watching the glycemic index in foods and moderate sized meals along with snacks rather than strictly adhering to the meal plan they outline in the book. Want to make some lifelong changes in my eating habits as opposed to doing the diet with a specific weight loss goal.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
don't exactly have a name to pigeon hole my diet into but I went from 265 and a 40+ waist to 215 and a 35" waist using Whey Protein shakes with either soy or rice milk for breakfast and lunch then stir fried vegi's [broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, spinach] with strips of lean chicken or beef. I cut out pasta and ice cream except on those rare occasions. I have keep the weight off for over a year now

Energy wise I'm fine, I've been racing triathlons without any sort of bonk