Quantcast

South Mountain

Going_Loud

Chimp
Oct 2, 2006
Minnesota
I am new to the forum and am planning to move to PHX around May of next year. I am currently living in Minnesota and was wondering how good the trails are at South Mountain? Is it a busy trail?

Vno

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
South Mountain
Just did a 3.5 hour ride there today. Largest municipal park in the United States. Endless miles of trails. Heavily congested on Mormon, Desert classic and National (where you'll spend 90% of your time) but also a great place to meet riders. Weather is just now becoming bearable (under 100 degrees). Can be shuttled. Plenty of DH or XC.
Sedona is 1.5 hours away and Flagstaff is 2 hours. Great riding there when you get bored in Phoenix or the temps become miserable.

Going_Loud

Chimp
Oct 2, 2006
Minnesota
What do you guys do in the hot summer months? Bike in it? Also, what tips did you have for a rookie who has never rode in the desert before?

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
What do you guys do in the hot summer months? Bike in it? Also, what tips did you have for a rookie who has never rode in the desert before?
As a former valley dweller, I'd say you're gonna hurt the first few times you ride in the heat. Drink water, then drink some more. You'll get used to it eventually. When I used to ride, we'd ride early. Temps into the 100s are typical. Above 110 was intolerable (for me), but you can usually avoid those if you finish your rides early. It's not that bad. Or ride at night. It's still hot and probably over 100, but you don't have the sun beating on you.

If you can, get up to Flagg in the summer. The weather there is hard to beat and the riding rules. Have fun. I wish I still lived there.

Vno

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
South Mountain
I agree. Bike early or invest in a lighting system. I'm not an early riser so I opt for option # 2. Tubeless tires are popular as are the tire liners or goo. Flats are inevitable though. Stinkyboy rides a lot and could tell you more but I heard he's not on here anymore.

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
I dont live in arizona anymore but during the summer months a trip up to flagstaff is well worth it. Tons of trails and a night life that makes it easy to spend a weekend riding and drinking.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
If you ride on fairly well-used trails you shouldn't have to worry too much about flats. There are enough hikers & bikers that there won't be a whole lot of sh!t on the trail to flat you. That being said, I carry a spare tube and a patch kit at all times because flatting 3 times in a ride isn't necessarily an act of god.

As far as tires go, you want something that will grip IN TURNS. The sandy trails can send you sideways w/o much notice. I would suggest against Panaracers. I ride IRC's, I don't know what Reactor or Trainwreck ride but if you talk to someone at the lbs they'll have a good recommendation for you.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Stinkyboy rides a lot and could tell you more
I don't ride SoMo that often but there was a Stinkyboy sighting there last weekend with my Stinky running 2.5 Maxxis Minions with Slimed Maxxis downhill tubes which have always treated me well.