Quantcast

Spare Parts Law

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Someone with more legal and historical knowledge please fill me in: When automobiles became a real industry didn't the USA make a law stating that some percentage of production be dedicated to spare parts? I think another part of the law was that spares must be available for some amount of time after purchase. I never heard if this law pertains to only things produced in the USA or all things sold here. It sure seems like suspension and drivetrain companies are sending all their production to OEMs and selling nothing to aftermarket parts distributors, thereby leaving bike owners who need replacement parts SOL.
Need a 12spd Sram chain or cassette before you can ride again? Sram says that ride will happen in November. The most common tire type coming on new road bikes these days is 28mm tubeless. QBP sells lots of brands of tires. Guess how many 28mm tubeless tires are in stock right now? 0. That's right. If you're a roadie with a newish bike needing a new tire you have to switch to tubes or change tire size if you want to ride again this summer.

Does this law no longer exist, not apply, or did my memory make it up?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If there is a law it probably only applies to things line cars and capital equipment and not recreational toys. Considering there are almost always some kinds of alternatives to the parts it certainly could be a hell of a lot worse.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
The only spare parts law that really exists is that if you have spare parts, you'll never need them, and if you don't have them, that's the part that will break and be out of stock.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
As I recall it's part of (or related to) a right-to-repair law and it applies to anything with a VIN that isn't a custom construction.

Now........if there's legislation that requires E-bikes to register with the DMV and have a VIN on them........

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
And nobody needs a 28mm tire.
Roadies have now been convinced that 23 and 25 are unridably harsh and 32 is for touring. They all
Okay, so I didn't imagine the whole thing. It seems unethical to me though to be producing and selling bikes but not making available replacement chains and tires that those bikes will need within a year.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I recently heard some Cornel grad say he wants us to go back to the US in the 1800-1930s economic system but it really feels like we're already there.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I thought this was going to be about me showing up to races years ago with enough spares to rebuild 90% of my bike only to break a part of the other 10% on the first day.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Okay, so I didn't imagine the whole thing. It seems unethical to me though to be producing and selling bikes but not making available replacement chains and tires that those bikes will need within a year.

Except bike manufacturers don't make chains and have never maintained stocks of spare parts for things like chains. I am sure chain manufacturers would love to sell replacements as there is a much higher profit margin there. But if they don't sell chains to bike manufacturers they could actually put bike manufacturers out of business or at least lose contracts with their bike manufacturers. Then they lose their OEM business and then have no customer base who will need replacement chains. But yeah, we should totally have world governments regulate the production of bike parts. What could go wrong?

I am glad people are questioning the ethics around the supply of their multi-thousand dollar toys and not say the working conditions of the people who make them. This situation is clearly the result of the cycling lizard cabal conspiracy and not the chaotic result of a multi-year pandemic where millions of people died. If only the cycling lizards had the ethical fortitude to lock workers in their plants to ensure a steady supply like the good folks making i-phones do.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
It seems unethical to me
I mean this is the same industry in which two years ago, some places laid off a bunch of workers. Then turned around a month or two later and boasted about record profit and this and that.

Theres nothing ethical about any of these companies. :dead:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I am glad people are questioning the ethics around the supply of their multi-thousand dollar toys and not say the working conditions of the people who make them. This situation is clearly the result of the cycling lizard cabal conspiracy and not the chaotic result of a multi-year pandemic where millions of people died. If only the cycling lizards had the ethical fortitude to lock workers in their plants to ensure a steady supply like the good folks making i-phones do.
Artisanal hand-filed responsibly-sourced chains FTW.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
not quite what you're asking about but if this bill get's passed it can only be a good thing and should cover Ebike motors and electric groupsets.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
But your shimano brake seals will still blow out and they won't sell spare parts.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
That's the exactly the sort of complaint "right to repair" is attempting to resolve.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Shimano I don't think is a right to repair issue. It's not that they won't sell spare parts, it's that there are none to sell. That more just a dumbass decision problem to solve.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Shimano I don't think is a right to repair issue. It's not that they won't sell spare parts, it's that there are none to sell. That more just a dumbass decision problem to solve.
I thought they stopped selling sub-component level stuff a few years ago? I remember when their service catalogue let you buy seals and pistons and stuff and now they just sell you a whole lever or caliper and hose. Like they're not even listed anymore, not a stock issue.