Quantcast

SPD question

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
I just got the 959 and they said that only the cleat that came with it works, that's fine but is it ok to run this new cleat with older spds on my other bikes?

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
No, you have to buy 4 more pairs of 959's. This is your punishment for switching away from eggbeaters.

:devil:

They should work in older pedals. A friend of mine broke his 959 and had to use a older pedal till it was fixed. I don't think he changed cleats.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Hmm. :sneaky: I've used my "old style" normal SPD cleats in 959s and they worked fine. My understanding is that the 959 works with all the older setups; the oddball was the 858s which won't.

That might be incorrect but my experience seemed to show compatibility between the new and old.

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
Originally posted by Tweek
Why are ya ditching the Eggies, Deyv?
too hard to get out of! I could not get use to twisting my feet that far (15 degrees) to unclip. + if your feet is at the back of the stroke (9 oclock) you toes will hit the crank before you can unclipp and then you are stock, It might good for xc racers but if you like to try skinnies and stuff than you are :dead: well you saw me at Tyron!

wanna buy them? 2 pairs

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
Originally posted by sub6
Hmm. :sneaky: I've used my "old style" normal SPD cleats in 959s and they worked fine. My understanding is that the 959 works with all the older setups; the oddball was the 858s which won't.

That might be incorrect but my experience seemed to show compatibility between the new and old.
In the manual it explicitly says that only the provided clip (single release or something) would work.

PaulE

Chimp
Feb 7, 2003
Sheffield, England
I've ridden my friends bike, with those pedals on, using my standard cleats and it was fine. The release was quite stiff, but that may well be how he has them set up.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Originally posted by Deyv
In the manual it explicitly says that only the provided clip (single release or something) would work.
Ahh - that's right. You can't use multi-release cleats on those. Which was not a problem when I used 'em b/c I don't use multi-release cleats! Any standard single-release SPD cleat should work though.

If you're willing to ship down to the US I'd buy a pair of Eggs off ya...

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Why don't you get the new DH pedals from Time they would be good because you could use them with clips when doing XC or not when doing NS

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Stosh - I think that was a joke. Primo's are big BMX flats, probably 550g.....

Shows how much attention I pay to BMX.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by Deyv
too hard to get out of! I could not get use to twisting my feet that far (15 degrees) to unclip. + if your feet is at the back of the stroke (9 oclock) you toes will hit the crank before you can unclipp and then you are stock, It might good for xc racers but if you like to try skinnies and stuff than you are :dead: well you saw me at Tyron!

wanna buy them? 2 pairs
I had the same problems when I first got my egbeaters. Being used to a 5 degree release I found them hard to get out of. A few minutes of work with my dremel tool on the cleats and they now have a nice small release angle. If you don't want to try grinding away on your cleats I will be happy to buy a pair of eggies from you.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Actually the 858 cleat (SH55???) works fine too. I used that pos pedal for part of a season then got the 959. Since i have several pairs of shoes in various stages of decomposition I used the old cleats rather than buy a bunch of new ones. And the latest cleat works with all SPD pedals too as they went back to the old cleat with the new pedal. The latest cleat does work on the 858 too just not as well as the "official" cleat. But those pedals stunk.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA

What he said is 100% correct.