Quantcast

Speaking of fruits...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I was doing yard work when I noticed these peering out at me. It's not quite time for all of them, but this will be a good year for sure.

Thanks to global warming :thumb:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
la_cleta said:
Are those habaneros?
Yes, they are. I have 4 plants this year and I have some HUGE ones that are still quite green. I got a couple little ones last week that were very nice. Great flavor and a little more heat than what I buy at the store.

These will go with a mango and a few orange tomatoes I have. When I perfect my recipe, I'll post it in the beer and food (habanero and mango salsa).

I just love the color of these, so I figured I'd share.

Oct 8, 2005
Mexico
jimmydean said:
Yes, they are. I have 4 plants this year and I have some HUGE ones that are still quite green. I got a couple little ones last week that were very nice. Great flavor and a little more heat than what I buy at the store.

These will go with a mango and a few orange tomatoes I have. When I perfect my recipe, I'll post it in the beer and food (habanero and mango salsa).

I just love the color of these, so I figured I'd share.
Sweet!, try to chop a few in slices, with some onions and squeeze a few lemons, let them marinate for a few hours, then get some tortillas, some pork chops/steak/etc and make some tacos

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
bighitmike838 said:
This one?

It used to belong to bullitboyz. :drool:

That was my Bullit that I sold him right after I shot it that color. That was a one-off powder I had blended by Continental Coating here in town. That looks very close in the pictures, but if you saw that frame in person, it would blow your mind. I miss that frame :(

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Crazy that you grew those in portland. I am sure that you guys are having the same kind of summer that we are having, hot and dry!

Maybe you already know this, but if you are growing other peppers near by (like bells, or anaheims) they can cross pollinate and they can all become hot. Not an issue for me as i like lots of spice, but some might care.....

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
davep said:
Crazy that you grew those in portland. I am sure that you guys are having the same kind of summer that we are having, hot and dry!

Maybe you already know this, but if you are growing other peppers near by (like bells, or anaheims) they can cross pollinate and they can all become hot. Not an issue for me as i like lots of spice, but some might care.....
Funny you should say that because I did that on purpose. I have 2 rows of peppers, one row is 4 habs an a caribbean red up front. The the second row is 2 sweet bells (purple too, very cool looking), an Anaheim, a regular Thai, and a Thai Dragon (the vertical ones), with my other caribbean red up front.

I did some manual cross-pollination, but I haven't noticed any differece in the bells.

As for the weather, it has been crazy hot. The first year I did peppers, my plants were about 18" tall and had about 8 peppers each. This year they are about 36" tall with over 30 peppers each. Again, thanks to global warming, I'm sure.