Quantcast

speaking of helmets

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
Okay-i've got my six six one gear, and i've been riding around with it. I thought at first I'd feel like a quarterback on a bike, but after awhile I forgot it was even on, and it felt very comfy. So, now I'm thinking about my fullface. Any recomendations? Things to consider while I'm trying stuff on?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Good question. Anyone in the PNW going to Ashland or Willamette for the June races that want to sell me one of their DH helmets?

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I hadn't thought about what helmet to wear for Super D. Hmmmmm. Full face or regular XC? Heidi, are you going to go full face?

Tuff*Stuff

Chimp
Jun 23, 2003
North Bend
zoey said:
Okay-i've got my six six one gear, and i've been riding around with it. I thought at first I'd feel like a quarterback on a bike, but after awhile I forgot it was even on, and it felt very comfy. So, now I'm thinking about my fullface. Any recomendations? Things to consider while I'm trying stuff on?
I have a Six Six One, I would love to get a TLD. The most important thing is to make sure the helmet fits. Shake your head around alot and make sure it doesnt slide. You want it to be a bit snug. Nothing would be worse than your helmet flying off or sliding over your eyes.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
DH Diva said:
I hadn't thought about what helmet to wear for Super D. Hmmmmm. Full face or regular XC? Heidi, are you going to go full face?
xc because I don't own a full face. Probably everyone will do xc since it's 12 miles.

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
Well now I wonder do I need a fullface? What I'm working towards is racing DH at Sea Otter next year. The trail I need to conquer first is a very rocky downhill; lots of babyheads and sharp rocks. I've ridden it (badly) twice and both times with XC helmet. I don't think a fullface would make me more comfortable. Hmmm-it just looks so dang cool!

And of course I'm going to be going out and working on drops and stuff. Maybe for now my XC helmet would be okay?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
A friend of mine, an excellent rider, face planted at Rockville. He went in for dental surgery the next day.

I mention this, not as a horror story, but as a cautionary tale about not knowing when you will crash on your face and if you will be prepared for it.

Specialized and Giro make full face helmets which are more like XC helmets, the Deviant and the Remedy. Take a look at one of them.

I have a Bell fullface and a Giro XC. When I know I will be riding downhill no matter where I am or dirt jumps...I will lug that thing around with me. I have had WAY too many close calls with just an XC or no helmet on. There are companies (probably what sanjuro is talking about) that make crazy light weight and comfortable fullface helmets. Also check out BMX full face too...we just got some super light ones in that are snazy.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
zoey said:
Well now I wonder do I need a fullface? What I'm working towards is racing DH at Sea Otter next year. The trail I need to conquer first is a very rocky downhill; lots of babyheads and sharp rocks. I've ridden it (badly) twice and both times with XC helmet. I don't think a fullface would make me more comfortable. Hmmm-it just looks so dang cool!

And of course I'm going to be going out and working on drops and stuff. Maybe for now my XC helmet would be okay?
If you are doing any kind of DH, even just as a beginner rider, please get a full face helmet. I face planted way more times as a beginner just starting out in DH than I did later on with more experience. Of course I may not have been going as fast or been on as technical trails, but you crash a lot when your learning so I feel a full face is necessary. You'd be surprised just how comfortable a full face can make you feel if you've never worn one, and how often it will save your face, especially since you said you will be practicing drops!

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO
For sure get a full face. Don't chance it! I've crashed into enough trees on the easiest of trails to know you shouldn't take the chance. Get some body armor also. If anything it'll give you some extra bit of confidence.

I just bought a sixsixone pro comp helmet in xs and it fits perfectly. Make sure it's a little snug because the foam/padding will give a little the more you wear it.

TurnerGrl

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Metrowest MA
Definitely go with full face

I almost always wear my Giro Switchblade (which will eventually probably get replaced with the new Specialized Deviant) for most trail riding (esp. if it is super techy or involves any stunts or drops) and my Giro Mad Max for DH or if it is really cold outside for the added warmth. :thumb:

I also always wear my Race Face FR knee/shin pads as I find them to be really comfortable and even on the tamest rides I am perfectly capable of having a spaz moment and crashing.

So yeah, I might be that ridiculous looking chick riding my Turner RFX wearing armor and a FF helmet that you see out on a total XC trail... :rolleyes:

nanhar

Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Riverside, CA
The more you ride, the better you get, the more chances you take. I speak from experience.....All it takes is one good fall on your head and the amount of protection your helmet provides will determine how much your head will absorb (I have been saved from concussions many times).

I wear an Azonic Skid Lid for Super D and a TLD Moto helmet for DH. I have gone through about 10 full face helmets in my 4 year racing career starting out with the lightest, least protective model and then switching last year to wearing a moto helmet. There is additional weight involved (that's why carbon fiber is so popular) but you get used to it.

Check out my Sponsorhouse profile: http://www.sponsorhouse.com/members/denmother

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
DH Diva said:
If you are doing any kind of DH, even just as a beginner rider, please get a full face helmet. I face planted way more times as a beginner just starting out in DH than I did later on with more experience. Of course I may not have been going as fast or been on as technical trails, but you crash a lot when your learning so I feel a full face is necessary. You'd be surprised just how comfortable a full face can make you feel if you've never worn one, and how often it will save your face, especially since you said you will be practicing drops!
DH Diva's right...definitely make the investment. I personally have a Bell Full Face and it works great (trust me, it's definitely saved my face a few times).