Quantcast

Specialized 2009?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
cool drawing,

but your chain will need a tensioner, and you have lost some of the 'benefit' of the FSR with the chainstay pivot location.
Might as well make it a true single pivot and not have to deal with a tensioner.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
love my demo 7 thing rips just as hard as my old r9 or dh9 but feels actually faster and is much more flick able. i would buy that bike in 1 second. thing looks awesome and has everything i want

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
They lengthened the wheelbase on the new design so the bikes actually feel longer than the old version. Have any of you guys ever ridden a bike and said "damn this would be really cool if the chainstay was longer".
That made me laugh. :thumb: I just got me an SX just out of that very reason. After listening to every body raving over their SXT's, I just couldn't let the expriance pass me by. I don't like the big S because of their politics, but their consept of how a bikes geometry should be has sertainly been proven fun by everybody who rides them.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
There might be a lot of guys riding Demos in the States but in Europe there's practically none.Most likely a distribution thing but there's some pretty sweet FULL ON RACER bikes made in Europe.
To avoid your original question a little longer.. ;) It might have to do with price. I want to recolect that about 2-3 years ago, a Demo 8 frame went for the same steep price as a M3 over here...

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
i have a first gen demo 9 and i love it. havent had much ride time on the new gen demos but i did notice that mine was more "stable" it seemed like the new one was not heavy enough to stay put? too short chainstay? i did like it just not for racing. (east coast rocky madness)

*it was a demo 7 i rode*

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
To avoid your original question a little longer.. ;) It might have to do with price. I want to recolect that about 2-3 years ago, a Demo 8 frame went for the same steep price as a M3 over here...
Actually, I think the Demo was 3 or 400 more!!

eeek - with the weak dollar, foreigners should be able to score if they go through the right channels.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
One nice way is to switch to a split-pivot/ABP design.
Zero chain growth and active braking.
What? And give up years of over hyped, over priced marketing on a design that really isnt any better than any other. Surely you jest?

No, I am sure specialized will be able to spin chain growth as a positive attribute of their soon to be released FSRBOXGdemo platform....

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
Specialized can't easily defend the FSR patent in Europe...so they'd go head to head with FSR competitors who pay no royalties??
Despite that, Specialized still seems to sell quite well here in Europe. There are some quality 4-bar bikes available from Germany, but somehow their technical merits are often overshadowed by Specialized's marketing presence... and the fact that they make good bikes. :happydance:

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Actually, I think the Demo was 3 or 400 more!!

eeek - with the weak dollar, foreigners should be able to score if they go through the right channels.
Yeah, like private sellers in the US! I just got an unused brand spankin new 08 SX frame (with some minor paint blemishes that I fixed with nail polish, but without the Thomson post) for the total of $1240.

Now, you will probably not jump over this price as a new one in the US is $1750. But when you consider that shipping, +5% customs, +25% tax, was added to that price (in that order), and that the price in a store in Sweden is about $2500-2600, then... You get the picture. :)

It's all about the right channels. :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Despite that, Specialized still seems to sell quite well here in Europe. There are some quality 4-bar bikes available from Germany, but somehow their technical merits are often overshadowed by Specialized's marketing presence... and the fact that they make good bikes. :happydance:
Tarmin must be makin a ****load of Marka these days considering the Iraqi dollar..

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
Tarmin must be makin a ****load of Marka these days considering the Iraqi dollar..
Something ain't right when importing a bike yourself is cheaper than buying locally. Don't get me wrong, I like to support my local bike shop but the prices are just insane here in Scandinavia.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Something ain't right when importing a bike yourself is cheaper than buying locally. Don't get me wrong, I like to support my local bike shop but the prices are just insane here in Scandinavia.
Scrachwiggedyword! It's all those middle hands; smooth talkers with connections up high that get the rights to sertain countries in adition to their own. It's di babylon sistim in practise in di biking world, mon.. :clue:

And they can't defend that with that they can give a better service as they can keep a bigger stock either. This is the age of the intrawebsiri, we just get our **** elsewhere.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Scrachwiggedyword! It's all those middle hands; smooth talkers with connections up high that get the rights to sertain countries in adition to their own. It's di babylon sistim in practise in di biking world, mon.. :clue:

And they can't defend that with that they can give a better service as they can keep a bigger stock either. This is the age of the intrawebsiri, we just get our **** elsewhere.
clear your pm box.

Bighitboy

Chimp
Jun 1, 2006
a friend took a tour of Big S last week, they had anew DH frame in the vices for testing, apparently it will be super light, with a 1-2 yr warranty due to the lack of longevity. It was taped up pretty well, but he got a peeky-poo. Supposed to be alittle lower, slacker, and lighter than the demo8- full breed race bike. The demo's will stay in the lineup, say goodbye to the bighit series forever. This is supposed to take place for 2010. if sooner, call me a saint

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
a friend took a tour of Big S last week, they had anew DH frame in the vices for testing, apparently it will be super light, with a 1-2 yr warranty due to the lack of longevity. It was taped up pretty well, but he got a peeky-poo. Supposed to be alittle lower, slacker, and lighter than the demo8- full breed race bike. The demo's will stay in the lineup, say goodbye to the bighit series forever. This is supposed to take place for 2010. if sooner, call me a saint
Thanks for letting us know. I'm sure that's good news to some, but it's a bit of a let-down for me. Nothing groundbreaking. Slacker than 64 deg? Lighter than 39 lbs stock? No gearbox? No new enduro-esque rocker layout?

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Yeah I don't think that's a bike anymore. At least not in the usable sense.:D
My sarcasm sensors went off, and I agree with you. What's extreme or cutting edge today will be only average 2 years from now. How recently was 66deg super slack, then 65, now 64. And weights, well people have been chasing the mid-30's for years now - it's just with better tech that it's now more common, cheaper, and SAFER! :)

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I like how the sketch has a jackshaft and drive chain used in conjunction with (across) a horst link, without a tensioner. Brilliant.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
yeah that bike is scary.

also on to what kidwoo and the other guy were discussing. the measurement that all dh bikes need is the front to center. its pretty common in the trials world (well enough info is there to figure it out) and its pretty much the only measurement that matter for many bike (street/park, dh, fr, trials) but for some reason none of the manufactures give it

SkyWalkeR594

Chimp
Jun 10, 2008
maybe not the best idea to aks about the specialized demo 8 but it interest me a lot and I would like to get some of your thoughts about it if it is possible. thanks guys.

Jun 16, 2008
Excellent bikes! :clapping:

I just got off the cell with current California Specialized rep and this is the rundown for the 09 bikes and colors:

SX trail: Obviously Orange (as pictured)
Demo 8 II: Baby Blue, White rims
Demo 8 I: White top tube, Red downtube near bottom bracket, Boxxer Wc fork
Bighit: completely redesigned: Colors not decided yet: It has taken the near same design as the enduro linkage. Bike weighs 37-38 lbs

demo 7: same designs, colors unkown at this time i will have pics up later of the bikes and colors and also a ride report.

* Will possibly be up at northstar with the bikes in a few weeks but right now the manger and another rep are in Whistler and will be back sometime soon.
_ No gearbox bike think tho :plthumbsdown: