Quantcast

Specialized 2009?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Um, is this a joke? Don't you rock a Lahar?
yeah, i was expecting that. hard to defend aesthetics, as it's purely subjective, but i generally hate the droopy dt's on tube frames bikes - esp when the tt is curved in similar fashion. organic carbon monocoques are arbitrarily immune to said critique. one man's opinion...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
yeah, i was expecting that. hard to defend aesthetics, as it's purely subjective, but i generally hate the droopy dt's on tube frames bikes - esp when the tt is curved in similar fashion. organic carbon monocoques are arbitrarily immune to said critique. one man's opinion...
Word. It was funny because to me a Lahar looks more like a "pregnant guppy" than any Specialized. I honestly thought you were joking, especially with the comment about straight tubes. Personally I can't say I'm a fan of the aesthetics of the demos but at least most of the bending and whatnot is functional (for standover, shock placement, crown clearance, etc.).

liquidsystm

Chimp
May 25, 2005
wow. fugly..looks like the guy is too heavy for the bike and bent the top and down tubes. The whole curvy tube thing is going overboard, that downtube looks like my belly :huh:

dirtdigger

Monkey
Mar 18, 2007
N.zud
Um, is this a joke? Don't you rock a Lahar?
you fool! how could you compear a lahar to those pieces of junk? untill you see one in the flesh or even ride one the people in interweb land cant know good how they are!

man specialized need to get their s$%t together! who the hell is running their FR/DH department??

if i was the CEO i'd sack all the marketing designers and hire some real engineering designers :rant: :rant:

cumed out

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I does really look like much to do about nothing but I guess they don't want to end up like Kona where people always complain they never change design. I prefer the Kona layout to the the tube spaghetti of Specialized but I am sure they have all kind of explanation for the new layout.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
http://www.velovert.com/reportages/?idr=12 some real life shots of the linkage on the sxt here..... looks finished... Also looks like it says 2.35 on that spring... If so, that means they've reduced the size of the shock used significantly from the current 9x2.75 to possibly a 7.875x2.25..... Does that mean the leverage will be higher for the same given travel?

Also the way they have the shock stabilized at the base of the shock with the spring retainer and that link. Would this mean no option for a air shock still?

Last edited:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
http://www.velovert.com/reportages/?idr=12 some real life shots of the linkage on the sxt here..... looks finished... Also looks like it says 2.35 on that spring... If so, that means they've reduced the size of the shock used significantly from the current 9x2.75 to possibly a 7.875x2.25..... Does that mean the leverage will be higher for the same given travel?

Also the way they have the shock stabilized at the base of the shock with the spring retainer and that link. Would this mean no option for a air shock still?
yep, shorter, proprietary shock....seems like every season Spec makes it harder and harder for the end user as they lock you into their 'systems'. They could VERY easily work within the 'confines' of standard shock sizes and mountinf, but they make an obvious choice to do otherwise.

Certainly another reason (for me) to not consider buying....

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
So? whats wrong with XT cranks. most people run them for DH.

I know i'll be purchasing a Demo later this year... goodbye brooklyn

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
yep, shorter, proprietary shock....seems like every season Spec makes it harder and harder for the end user as they lock you into their 'systems'. They could VERY easily work within the 'confines' of standard shock sizes and mountinf, but they make an obvious choice to do otherwise.

Certainly another reason (for me) to not consider buying....
How Microsoftish of them. :plthumbsdown:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
sounds like the new SX trail is gonna be sporting a 170mm fork up front.

And that fox does look taller then a regular 36. I wonder if fox is gonna start doing 170?

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA

How the heck is the shock being constrained with that linkage going from the rocker to the shock mount? It pivots on both ends so how does it keep from flopping around a bunch? :huh:

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
How the heck is the shock being constrained with that linkage going from the rocker to the shock mount? It pivots on both ends so how does it keep from flopping around a bunch? :huh:
Looks like the spring retainer on the rear is butted against the linkage and that prevents movement.

_*sTiTcHeS*_

Monkey
Apr 24, 2006
qr on a dh race bike? no thankyou.

maxle or dedicated axle is neccesary.

they should make an sworks dh race bike. they could do it easy with their budget.

lachy_mtb

Monkey
May 25, 2008
they should make an sworks dh race bike. they could do it easy with their budget.
yep definently, the sx trails is soo nice, why cant they make something simple like that with more travel.
sorry to all the demo fans, but i think the whole linkage system is ridiclious, its heavy with no real benefit. needs a major overhaul imo

_*sTiTcHeS*_

Monkey
Apr 24, 2006
im all for spesh going integrated. i think both ends of the shock should be bolted into a sturdy assembly like on the sxt.

s works demo race type of thing should have:
super dedicated rear axle for stiffness. post mount rear brake tucked into the frame. adj. head angle like on commencal. more forging and less curved tubes. frame bumpers for fork. light with lower shock placement and lower smaller yet wider links.

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
I played with the SX shock. Its just a standard fox shock. Any other fox coil should work on there, air might be a problem.