Quantcast

specialized big hit grom front derailer conversion

lunendan

Chimp
Jul 7, 2007
Does anyone know if, or has done, convert a specialized big hit grom to have a front derailer and climbing ring? Is it possible? A friend said that there is a kit that adds a plate to your bottom bracket and the derailer bolts to that for bikes that don't have a frame mount. Ever hear of this?

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
yeah, i think i have a spare front der. lying around that mounts to to your BB like a chainguide would w/out ISCG tabs. pm me if you're interested and i'll see if i still have it.

lunendan

Chimp
Jul 7, 2007
Thanks manimal, I will let you know soon if I need that. I think the bike has the iscg tabs though. It has the single chainring with the guide rollers. We have not bought it yet but want to know if this can be done before we buy. If it has the ISCG tabs do they make a derailer kit for those?

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
You're talking about an E-type derailur. I'm not sure if they're available still, and I'm not sure if you can use an E-type derailur with a bike that has ISCG tabs.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
You need an e-type der as mentioned above. The iscg tabs should not get in the way, as the der plate is sandwiched between the bb cup and frame.

The way I would go, is an E-13 DRS with an E-type back plate. That way you have a two ring guide (keep the chain on for the type of riding the frame is made for) as well as a very solid mount for the der.

lunendan

Chimp
Jul 7, 2007
Thanks for the info guys. It sounds like it can be done. She didn't want to commit to buying the bike unless it could have the small ring to climb and medium ring for lift/freeriding. This is the smallest bike we could find for her but wanted it to be versitle. I think it will be a go.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
The other thing you may struggle with is the lack of cable stops...
i built one up in the shop today and if they keep all the parts
it comes with a special under bb cable guide and all der stops
that are necessary.

no problem.

o this was the 08 purple one thats fsr.