Quantcast

Specialized BIG news! VERY Interesting....

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
One part of me says hell no to an inhouse OEM shock/fork. Then again, specialized makes great, fringe parts. I love their tires, clothing, helmets ETC. If anybody could pull this off, they can. But i suspect that in the end, the parts whore in me will never ride an OEM built bike.

joel

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Maybe it is just the angle of the photo but it seems they didn't think tire clearance was very important.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
They had to make it a 25mm thru-axle, didn't they? I mean, they just had to make it so that it's impossible to run a normal front hub :rolleyes:

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Meh, I'll be impressed when they start making their own derailleurs...
Looks like they're taking the C'dale approach to innovation - make it so their stuff isn't compatible with anyone elses for a meager amount of performance benefit. A dual crown for 150mm of travel? Don't they know that that's singlecrown territory now? But I guess with a singlecrown you don't get the Specialized DTRL (Deluxe Turning Radius Limiter), eh?

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
binary visions said:
They had to make it a 25mm thru-axle, didn't they? I mean, they just had to make it so that it's impossible to run a normal front hub :rolleyes:
Those big axles really make a difference in the stiffness of the fork.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
reminds me of the mid 90s... didn't they rebadge some showa forks back then? I seem to remember a carbon fork being run by ned et al.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
binary visions said:
funny how that works isn't it?! :rofl:

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Transcend said:
Naw, those were carbon bodies Rock Shox Judys. :rofl:
If you upgraded the internals, those forks were as good as any XC race fork on the market up until '00 or so. 3" travel, sub 3 pounds...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BeerDemon said:
Those big axles really make a difference in the stiffness of the fork.
I'd like to see some numbers on how much the extra 5mm on the axle adds. If the 25% increase in diameter added a 25% increase in stiffness, I'm all for it, but I just have a tough time believing that it does.

You run (or have run) one of those Maverick forks with the oversized axle, don't you? I'd hazard a guess that it's a lot more to do with the design of the fork than the size of the axle.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
dump said:
reminds me of the mid 90s... didn't they rebadge some showa forks back then? I seem to remember a carbon fork being run by ned et al.
Those forks, Future Shocks, had RS internals. The carbon forks were mag21 (1st gen) and Judy (2nd gen) forks with different chassis. Lighter and more expensive than the comparable RS versions but identical internally.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
binary visions said:
You run (or have run) one of those Maverick forks with the oversized axle, don't you? I'd hazard a guess that it's a lot more to do with the design of the fork than the size of the axle.
Or more likely both or they wouldn't have gone through the trouble of creating a new hub. What IS pretty stupid though is that Specialized is making a 25mm hub rather than the already available 24mm Maverick hub. That's just silly.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
punkassean said:
If you upgraded the internals, those forks were as good as any XC race fork on the market up until '00 or so. 3" travel, sub 3 pounds...
I had one of those on my bike BITD. I had it on my Stumpjumper M2 hardtail that I used for slalom. It all worked well until a slalom race when in a corner my wheel twisted and I got jacked. My first thought was that my stem slipped...then that I had folded a wheel...nope, I had unbonded the dropouts and they twisted and the damper rods were the only thing holding my wheel on. Good thing slalom races in 96/97 didn't have jumps!

-ska todd

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
IMO dual crowns have no place on a bike you climb on. Knocking your knee on the top crown while climbing out of the saddle hurts:dead:

I bet we'll see a less expensive aluminum version w/ a SC fork, which would fit the bill nicely:)

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Zark said:
IMO dual crowns have no place on a bike you climb on. Knocking your knee on the top crown while climbing out of the saddle hurts:dead:

I bet we'll see a less expensive aluminum version w/ a SC fork, which would fit the bill nicely:)
Yeah, people are getting all worked up over this bike, when it is probaly gonna be a $7000 out of reach bike anyway.
I am more inclined to see what the alunimum version is gonna look like and see if its specced with a single crown. I like the frame look,
and I bet it looks sweet in aluminum.
I bang my knee enough just on my handlebar trailriding,
I can't swing a DC for that purpose.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Jeremy R said:
Yeah, people are getting all worked up over this bike, when it is probaly gonna be a $7000 out of reach bike anyway.
I am more inclined to see what the alunimum version is gonna look like and see if its specced with a single crown. I like the frame look,
I wonder if you still get the DTRL with a single crown?

I just don't get the double crown fork. I just keep thinking of how popular that double crown Judy was. Thinking of that Specialized might have been the only company spec'd that fork.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Jeremy R said:
There was a photo up here ealier of the aluminum version, it looked sweet and it had a Fox 36 on it. Looks like we're all good for '07:cool:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
DRB said:

I just don't get the double crown fork. I just keep thinking of how popular that double crown Judy was. Thinking of that Specialized might have been the only company spec'd that fork.
Or worse...the dual crown sid!

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
DRB said:

I had a friend that ran a double crown sid?! it actually seemed to be a decent fork for trail riding! :)

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Transcend said:
Ya, they were right up there with the above mentioned dual crown sid. :mumble:
the fork they used on the carbon dual suspension 9800 was it (?) that fork gave about 2.3" of travel! ahaha... that was back when I ran fully rigid & really couldn't understand the point of suspension... because @ 2.3" , what difference does it really make (outside of the weight)

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Jimmy_Pop said:
One part of me says hell no to an inhouse OEM shock/fork. Then again, specialized makes great, fringe parts. I love their tires, clothing, helmets ETC. If anybody could pull this off, they can. But i suspect that in the end, the parts whore in me will never ride an OEM built bike.

joel
Yep the Zertz handlebar and S-Works Carbon Stem, are all winners...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I am so confused by the bike industry.
25mm hub and a 6 inch travel triple clamp trail bike?

Not hating on Specialized. I love my Demo. Just not quite bridging the gap in logic just yet. It does sort of smell of the Level Betty And Judy triple clamp days...

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
a different look at some of the stuff, taken from this article http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article/mps/UAN/4929/v/1/sp/

really limited tire clearance w/ a 2.1? 150mm fork? 25mm thru axle?

they say Mike McAndrews is behind their suspension projects.... "The man behind Specialized's new suspension projects is Mike McAndrews. He's been working in two-wheeled suspension approximately for ever, from tuning bikes for pro MX racers, through being head of R&D at RockShox for six years to heading up Fox's fork development. He also did a stint at Maverick, and the FutureShock E150 fork is conceptually not dissimilar to Maverick's DUC32 - it's a long-travel trail fork that uses dual crowns to cut weight and an oversized axle to add stiffness."

you can def. see the Maverick and Fox touches on the crown and adjusters.

they mention in the article having problems with the forks bottom/topping out, seems like they still have some kinks to work out in them...

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
am i the only one who doesnt like the permanent stem on the top crown? i dont know why but it just doesnt sit well with me.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
what a disasterpiece :looney:

little did we think there would be something worse than the prototype paint scheme, now this.

yes, the integrated stem is a :nope: